Bottoms Up Leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Bottoms Up Leash

I am thinking about ordering one for Heidi and was wondering if anyone has used one of these?

http://www.bottomsupleash.com/

Michaela

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Bottoms Up Leash

I had one for Max, but didn't like it. It was too flimsy and I could tell it was uncomfortable on the soft part of that inner thigh. It's made out of nylon leash-type material and just had no substance. There are some great harnesses with handles. I know Jean and others listed links to the ones they had used. I'm sure one of them will see this and have more information.

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:It was too flimsy and I could tell it was uncomfortable on the soft part of that inner thigh.
That's what I am afraid off, it looked uncomfortable to me from the pictures but then I always worry

Thanks,
Michaela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Elite Member

Don't buy it.

I had one for Gretchen and it was very uncomfortable....rubbing on the inner thigh. It also gave poor,uneven support.

The best thing that works.....a towel. I took a lightweight, small size bath towel and sewed the ends together so I had a tube shape. I could fold it over to make it any width I wanted. I actually kept it on her (around her belly). It didn't bother her and it was there when needed. All I had to do was hook my hand through the towel and help her walk.

CAMP PAPPY
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

I love my suitcase harness!

Nina loves it-and I've been using it to take Kramer to the other vet for his acupuncture and chiropractor and poor Nina starts hopping when she sees me grab it.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/acc/body/index.htm

I am not sure how it would apply to other issues, but for picking them up, moving them around, it really has been very helpful.

When Nina couldn't do stairs, I could carry her. When she was at the vet office sick, they could move her to care for her. Now I use it to help her in the car, and Kramer too after his treatments (even though he wants to do it himself).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks everyone

I think I will give the suitcase harness a try. It looks comfortable to wear on her walk.

Michaela

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

I have a walking harness that has a suitcase handle. I use it to haul Chama (who weighs 65 pounds) up and down stairs too. It's very simple to put on and take off.

http://www.pawlickers.com/products/g...alking-harness

It has held up really well. I use it 3 times a day on walks. It also has a nice reflective stripe on the front and it's padded.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:08 PM

My poor 13yr old dog had an attack of vestibular disease last November.
The vet described it as if on a merry-go-round until dizzy and it never stops.
The only thing good about it was she didn't have a stroke like we thought and she lived to enjoy life some more!
At first we carried her outside - all 100lbs of dead weight-for two weeks until we could get her to stand.
We tried the towel but she would just flip over.
The vet had us buy the thickest collar we could find, and we used the Bottoms Up to steady the rear.
She has wobbly rear legs to begin with.
I am glad I don't have to use the leash anymore, but it is in her basket of toys in case I do.
Man, what a difference that made for us.

Naomi in the thick of it

Koog
&
Naomi -"My Delight"
1994-2010
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

Jean, that's just a Ruffwear harness, right?

I have one that was part of Camper's Ruffwear backpack system. (The saddlebags come off) Gosh, I use that darn thing for everything. Attach a longline to it and now he's safe to play by the river. Attach a leash to it and he can go rollerblading with Dh (Ben Hur style). Put the saddlebags back on and make him carry my stuff.

And yeah, I've used it to maneuver him around, like on strenous climbing over logs and boulders hikes. Never thought I could use it as a luggage strap. But he'll certainly be used to it when the day comes, after a couple decades of hopping around, chasing his soccerball on his hind legs like a kangaroo, when his hips won't work like they used to.

Of course, if he'd just listen to me and STOP doing that, he might not need it. But he doesn't, so he will.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Master Member

I used a hartmann harness for Ozy. it was great. it never caused any abrasions and you could leave it on for ease of use. Ozy was without the use of his hind legs at all for most of the last 1.5 years of his life, and this harness was a huge help.

Lori
& Kaliope (aka Kali) & Helo the GSDs
& emma, tibers and honipie
her (somewhat) trusting cats
always in our hearts:
Ozymandius (aka Ozy) GSD
& Twinka & Moji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page