Zamboni's agility photos (& health plan) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Zamboni's agility photos (& health plan)

Didn't know whether to post these here, in the Photos section or in the Agility section (ha!). But it seemed most fitting here, especially since someone asked the other day if Glucosamine actually works.

What do daily Rimadyl, Tramadol, Thyroxine, Glucosamine/ Chondroitin/MSM, Fish/Krill Oil, Ester-C, Acidophilus multi-vitamin, daily exercise, weekly water therapy, monthly chiropractic sessions, biannual vet checks (with bloodwork), and a good grain-free diet (with extra meat and veggies mixed in) get you?

Even if you're 15 years old? Even if you ruptured both ACLs 7 years ago and had TPLOs done? Even if your younger pack members sometimes play too rough with you? Even if you enjoy a nap more than ever, and you don't hear your owner like you used to? (Which can be very convenient at times!)

Well, what you get is that you don't even realize that you're at that age when you're supposed to be slowing down! It takes a lot more maintenance.

But who are you calling "old"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Zamboni's agility photos (& health plan)

How awesome is that! She may be going white but she's got the expression of a young pup. Good for her, and kudos to you for keeping her in such great shape and health.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

Those have GOT to be some of the cutest photos I have EVER seen.

GOOOOO, Zamboni!!!!!!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Elite Member

SO BEAUTIFUL! ALMOST MAKES ME WANT TO CRY!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 PM

WOW!!! That is really amazing. Good for you and Zamboni!!!

Eve-Lynn

Wakita's Arctic Link (Link)
Born December 8, 2007
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

Ohhhhhhhhhh...this is too much.

Okay, I take it back-second hand obesity can be caused by the sweetness and sugar of pictures like this!

Good inspiration. And if the dog can't actually jump this gives ideas of other stuff you can do. Neat. Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The actual jumps we usually work with are pretty low, about 3-4 inches off the ground. Dh (the offical photographer) set the bar a little higher for better photos.

The tire can be lowered to the ground, and the short dogs in class, the pug and the Boston terrier, jump through it that way. When I dropped it, and she tried to go through, she stumbled. Boni is what her water therapist calls "all front wheel drive" because her knees are so weak, so she pulls herself through life. It was easier to pull herself through the tire when it was higher than push herself through the tire lowered. That surprised me (and really surprised the instructor) and taught us tht we really need to let the DOG tell us what's best for them.

We don't do the chute because the hard plastic tube is too slippery, and because she gets really confused with the fabric on her face. And the A-Frame at our school is too steep. (The A-Frame at Camper's herding facility is less steep and she likes it just fine).

So when we did the official pass of the evening, we skipped the equipment we couldn't do. It's the senior's prerogative. My instructor said there's a senior in her agility club that just does low jumps and tunnels. She just kind of runs around making up her own course, but hey, she has fun!

The best night of class (thus far) was the night they introduced the bridge and teeter. The younger dogs were hesitant. But when you've been zipping up and down a ramp to get into the house for several years, the bridge was a piece of cake for Boni. HA! Seniors still have a lot to teach the young kids! We rock!

In a few weeks, we're taking intermediate obedience class. Brush up on some skills, get her away from the young ones at home, and the instructor said she'll appreciate Zamboni's leadership in the classroom .
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

Fantastic photos! Go Boni go! She looks great!!!!!!!!!!

I wish Chama could do that..she had a blast in her agility class back when she was a young 7.

How much does Boni weigh?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

38 lbs is her ideal weight.

But right now she's weighing in at 38.5-39, as Meri is training a lot. (Not to mention the extra snacks at agility class!)

A treat for puppy. A treat for Boni. A treat for puppy. A treat for Boni.

And almost all that weight is in her upper body. Front wheel drive dog! That's why we had to diet ourselves down from the 45-46 lbs last year.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

You're lucky she's so little. Chama is 65 pounds and that's a health weight for her. She is built like a tank!!!!!!!!

And do I ever understand the treat business. One things Chama loves about getting a new dog or a foster is that she gets tons of treats. I think she prefered when Rafi wasn't fully trained because she got more treats!

I think it's just great that you're doing that class with her. It must make her feel so special!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page