Help with Senior Meds (Chama) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Help with Senior Meds (Chama)

I'm trying to get organized on how I might further help Chama.

I have now had her on 3 new medications for a couple of weeks and they aren't helping at all. She is on Deramaxx, Tremadol and a bronchodilator. I had to cut back on the dosage of the bd because she wasn't sleeping and was starving, incredibly thirsty and peeing on herself in her sleep. I consulted with my vet and cut the dosage in half. Side effects have subsided but I'm not seeing any difference in how she feels or breathes. Her breathing has actually gotten worse since we've been home from the cottage. She often can't sleep and when she does she wheezes.

So, back to my old tricks of trying to do things myself. I am thinking it would be good to start her on:

Cetyl-M
I think the Advanced Cetyl-M Joint Action Formula is the one I'll order. Should I order the big bottle since I'll have to give 6 a day, at least initially?

Omega 3 Fatty Acids in capsule form. She has been getting salmon oil from the squirt bottle and I'm about to run out. I remember reading that the capsules are a better source. Comments? Suggestions on a particular product?

Something for her lungs. I'm looking at these products:
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/O...ula/999182.aspx
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...x#ReviewHeader

Any comments would be much appreciated!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Elite Member

Re: Help with Senior Meds (Chama)

Ruth, I have had great success with the Cetyl-M for Mas. He is currently getting Syn Flex and doing very well on it. The Deramaxx has been as effective as metacam and I don't give him it daily anymore, just as needed.

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks, Ruby. Which Cetyl-M product are you using?

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

Ruth, What about krill oil capsules? (I bought them because the bottle says that krill fishing is better for the environment. But when I got home and researched it, it's not. But I had them, and I've used them, and they seem to be more effective.)

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herb...a/krilloil.htm

Be sure to note the NSAID warning. But Z is on rimadyl, and I haven't had issues. But note the warning.

Fish oil has a higher percentage of EPA and DHA fatty acids, however krill oil has the advantage of having astaxanthin, an important antioxidant, vitamins A and D, and possibly other nutrients such as small amounts of phospholipids. Therefore, one option is to use a softgel or two of each, or alternate their use. Since phospholipids can be easily obtained from food, such as eggs, or lecithin ( phosphatidylcholine is found in lecithin ) one wonders if krill oil supplements are necessary when a person eats a lot of fish, takes fish oil supplements, consumes a variety of vegetables and fruits, and has a diet with adequate intake of phospholipids. http://www.raysahelian.com/krilloil.html

I alternate the krill capsules with fish oil capsules on Z. It seems to make a difference.

I don't like bottled fish oil. I used the bottled stuff all the time and have completely gotten away from it. I think it goes rancid faster than we realize (are you storing it in the refrigerator or a dark cool closet?). Or, at least, it oxidizes. And have you noticed how much oil you have to give of the bottled stuff for a dose vs. a capsule? I can't figure out why the dosing is so different. To avoid having to give yet another pill to Z., I pinprick the capsule.

I keep the bottle of capsules in the darkest coolest cabinet I have (my refrigerator is packed with so many other dog things; I don't have room for that too.

The first onlynatural product you have listed has licorice in it. I stay away from licorice for my dogs because it's pretty potent and has some strong and potentially serious side effects. I'm sure you know them, but in case you haven't looked at them lately: http://www.personalhealthzone.com/licorice.html

With the other product, I am not familiar with most of those ingredients. I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it.

Are you doing anything for just general immune system boost? Vitamin C, Acidophilus, and a good multivitamin for starters? You were using milk thistle, right? Cranberry is a nice addition. Antioxidants and all that.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

I use the Nikken Joint Formula. I get it from the vet. I have considered looking at other brands but this one is working very well for Mas. I have often refered to the Nikken as the "miracle wonder" as the Joint Formula and the Mag Bed I have from them has really helped Mas's arthritis

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the information on the capsules. I have read they are more potent and keep better. I have not had a problem with the other oil going rancid thankfully!

Chama is on this product with milk thistle and other vitamins: http://www.homevet.com/osc/product_i...bda165f983dcd6

Her Longevity also has some excellent additions such as bee pollen, spirulina and kelp.

And I use this supplement from time to time as well. I originally ordered it for Chama but stole it when Rafi had mange. Now I'm giving it to Chama again.
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...4-2a7e083d2abb

I have used an herbal tincture of licorice in the past without problems. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory and many holistic vets recommend it. But remember that I also use granulated garlic without problems too!

Once I figure out what I'm going to use I will email my vet. I'm interested to hear what he thinks of the Cetyl-M.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Well, if you want to go really far out, my Reiki lady does remote energy stuff! She's gotten some good results for me and the dogs-all remotely. And if it doesn't work, no big whoop-no damage.

And that light stuff-red for arthritis, blue for lungs. I was re-reading that this morning and it said you can put water in a red bottle and spray it on (that's a little crazy sounding but whatever) but it also said you could let her lay on a red towel and put a blue towel over her lungs. I would bet a very large bandanna of blue cloth would work.

Kramer and Nina get the Synovi G3 and VetriScience senior vitamin chews. Seem to work well together.
http://www.entirelypets.com/newsysoch1ta..._utmk=166679999
Ingredients: http://www.drugs.com/vet/synovig3-soft-chews.html They like the taste-so that makes it a good choice for them!

Sr. Vitamin: http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp?...56D1CA6F5149D5A

I just got, but haven't added liquid DMG-I am going to start Nina with additional DMG to try to keep her infections away. DMG has done a lot for a lot of dogs/cats I know from the IMOM group. Vetriscience only. There is DMG in the vitamin though.

And with the NSAID some dogs do better on one than another from what I understand-is that true? Maybe give Metacam a shot? Because if there is pain, that is going to throw everything off, and I truly believe that it's great to try to get to the root cause, but if there is still pain after treating that, you have to treat the pain.

As much as I love Tramadol and any morphine type drug (!!!) do you think it might be working against the lung med?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well last night she had her first solid night's sleep in weeks. The difference? No tremadol before bed, the temps were cooler and she walked a half mile further than usual (her choice).

I should say that the key to Chama's health is to be able to get her exercising more. Right now she walks 3 times a day, totaling 1 mile on a bad day and 2 miles on a good day. But she is bored. If I can get her moving better than we can walk more and that will improve everything else.

And Jean, I have a red dog towel and a blue dog towel (light blue, dark blue???) and can even gel my own lights different colors. I will take pictures of this woo-woo session and post them for you.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Oh! I like this article:
http://www.caberfeidh.com/Pain3.htm

Here is information on Tramadol:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tramadol.html

Do those light sessions during Reiki and it would really be trippy!

Are there any "jobs" she used to have that maybe she misses? Thinking of the boredom thing...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

While you're woo-wooing, if her Chi still seems blocked, what about acupuncture? It's *relatively* noninvasive if done by someone who understands seniors.

That's good news about her sleeping the night. Extra exercise helps so much! On days she isn't able to get around so much, if Chama's heart is relatively ok, what about a teeny dose of Ace to help her sleep. I mean, teeny. Grover used to have a hard time sleeping, and a 1/4 of the smallest dose of Ace helped her sleep peacefully on *those* nights. I don't like pharmaceuticals. But a good night's sleep is worth a whole handful of the best herbs.

I know, you hate the idea. Just keep it in the back of your mind. Maybe ask your vet about having a couple around just in case. Get a pill splitter too.

I was going to suggest that since you'll hate the idea of Ace, maybe you use Kava Kava or Valerian, but you can not use either. Kava kava can lead to liver toxicity. http://www.raysahelian.com/kava.html And Valerian can interfere with absorption of other drugs. http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Printab...5,4047,00.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page