Deaf - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Deaf

I honestly thought the first thing to go would be her rear. She has arthritis, not bad enough to stop her from trying to play ball, but enough to stop her from going upstairs many nights.

Sheba turned 11 in June. She has been sleeping deeply in the last few months, which I know comes with old age and hearing loss. Still, I was shocked last week when came into the house through the garage instead of the front door. I was able to open both doors and walk right up to Sheba from behind while she was wide awake and focused on the front door. She never heard me until I was close enough to touch her. Six months ago she heard well enough to hear someone try to pry off a screen window on the opposite side of the house from where her bed is. Right now she is less than 3 feet away from me and I have to raise my voice to get her attention. Does hearing go that quickly?

<sigh> I've never dealt with this before. Cody's hearing was fine to the end. Right now I'm yelling and clapping my hands to get her attention when she isn't in the room with me. Tips to deal with this better are greatly appreciated.

Nina

Mom to Ginger, Belle & April (cats)
Never forgetting -
Cody (GSD) 1993 - 8/21/05
Sheba (GSD) 6/97 - 8/3/09
Lyla (Maine Coon) 1994? - 4/3/07
Tonic (LBC) 1998? - 5/19/07
Chloe (Tuxedo) 1997? - 10/11/08 Forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Deaf

Yes, it does go that quickly. It was quite a shock for me too. Chama's hearing went almost completely in a 6 month period. Now I have to stomp on the floor for her to know that I'm there! The only positive thing is that she no longer has problems with fireworks.

In Chama's case it has made her more timid with other dogs because she can't hear them approaching. No problems with Rafi (who has learned to lick her to wake her up) but other dogs make her very nervous now. She's also more nervous around children.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:The only positive thing is that she no longer has problems with fireworks.
Yeah, I noticed that she is getting less freaked out by thunderstorms.

Nina

Never forgetting -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Crowned Member

Wow-that did happen fast-I'd probably just double check with the vet to make sure there wasn't a physical problem. But probably isn't?

Kramer also cannot hear thunderstorms or gunshots, which is nice. He CAN hear treat bags however. I am not sure the depth of his hearing loss because he does throw out some of those confusing mixed messages!

I use a high pitched voice when I call him in the yard. Or if I want him to do something quickly.

I try not to touch him without warning, as he jumps-so I show my hand first. His vision has been getting worse so this is getting to be a challenge!

I still use hand signals even with the vision thing. Wide, sweeping hand signals!

I wonder if high "tinkly" bells can be used in some way? I wonder if they can hear those loud clickers? It's not like you really want to do a lot of training though-just so they know what is happening and don't get confused or scared, really. And if they associate those things with treats with whatever you want to do, that might help. Or a laser light just to get her attention.

I bet there are lots of things we've never even thought of that would work. There are sites for dogs who are deaf, too, that might help.

Kramer is also more nervous around the other dogs-and that comes out in a snappy way, but they are fine with it and I see them trying to be careful most of the time. He has snapped at me by mistake if I brush against him, thinking I am one of the dogs-but if she's not like that to begin with, I am thinking she'll be fine.

Sense of smell, touch, taste, vision-am I missing any? Use what is left of those is all I am trying to do. It's a challenge but every little bit helps, right! Good luck to you and Sheba.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:21 AM
Crowned Member

All my dogs went deaf, some faster than others. They could still feel vibrations, so I would sometimes stomp my foot if they were on the floor or slap the couch or bed if they were on them. I would turn the light on and off after dark to get their attention. I would very gently touch them so I wouldn't startle them. I would also wave my hand across their line of sight.

Fortunately, my dogs were all obedience dogs and knew hand signals and were very familiar with my facial expressions so I was still able to communicate fully with them.

Elaine and the herd
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 AM
Elite Member

My guy has been "going deaf" for a year now. There are times when he appears to be hearing just fine, which is confusing for me. I think it is more likely that he has learned to compensate very well. The deep sleeps and random barking were the first signs that made me think something was off.

He pretty much consistently misses me coming home and I end up waking him by touching him. Clapping works well as do vibrations on the table. I think a whistle would work well as he reacts when my cell phone goes off and he can hear the clicker.

He learned hand signals as a pup and it has come in very handy in his senior days. I have created signs for his rope and ball which he picked up pretty quickly. I also use the light on/off technique when he goes out at night and it is time to come in.

It was really hard for me to accept initially, mainly because it was another reminder that he was aging and was something I didn't want to deal with. Mas handled it just fine...frankly I think there are days were he is glad he can't hear me!

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:Kramer also cannot hear thunderstorms or gunshots, which is nice. He CAN hear treat bags however.
Kramer has "selective hearing loss"

Heidi is deaf due to ear surgery but has adjusted well. She too was afraid of thunderstrom, so it's nice that she doesn't react to them anymore. Now she is also losing her eye sight due to bilateral cataracts.

We really didn't change much in our routine with her, I just make sure she sees me before I touch her. A friend of mine was over the other day and she just reached out and touched Heidi on her back before I could tell her no but she just turned around and looked at her.

Heidi knew hand signals before she lost her hearing so that helped some but now at 13.5 yrs old we don't use them much they were mostly for obedience training. She also responds to my body language and I swear sometimes when I look at her she can read my mind

Just remember that if she's off leash that she may not be able to hear you calling her anymore but I think you two will be fine.

Michaela

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 AM

Hand signals are so important so we can still communicate. And I agree that they certainly can anticipate what we want (read our minds) just by watching our body language.

Getting old is he!!

~~ Barbara ~~
Proudly owned by:
Heidi Vom Vinahaus, German Shepherd - DOB 1/2/07
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks. She just had a wellness visit a couple of months ago and I can't see how anything would have gotten into her ears. She is never off leash outside of the yard and I'm usually in the yard with her.

I was wondering if there are any vibrating type of collar, I wouldn't want to shock her but a vibration would make her aware. Maybe I'll try a whistle and see how that works.

Nina

Never forgetting -
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Qyn
Knighted Member

My old girl seemed to go deaf overnight but she was 14yo and could still hear certain things (frequencies). We used to clap to get her attention, which semed to work well. I agree there are some benefits as she could not hear thunder - not that she was frightened but she would bark at it.

GSD - Quynne, born 29 sept 2004
MalteseXPoodle - Buddy, adopted Jan 2004 - RIP 14 May, 2009 9-11yo
Galah - Birdie-girl - adopted in 1999 when she was approx 12yo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page