Anti-inflammatory meds--help please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Anti-inflammatory meds--help please!

Hi everyone,

Chama seemed to be doing very well for a few days after we got back from vacation but now has slowed down a lot again. Her back end is giving out a bit on (short) walks and she moves at tortoise speed. She is also waking up every night at about 4am panting. That could either be pain or her lungs (she has scarring on her lungs). She was doing this only occasionally up at the cottage but it's cooler up there so it was easier on her lungs. It's also been very humid here which is really hard on her lungs. Last night I got up and turned the fan on to cool the room down further (it really wasn't hot last night) but she got up and moved to the bathroom where there is tile floor.

Anyway, I'd like to try some sort of anti-inflammatory medication with her. I think I've exhausted my options on the herbal front. The tricky thing is that her liver values were elevated when I had her last bloodwork done. Any suggestions? I am going to email my vet today and see what he thinks.

Thanks!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM

Re: Anti-inflammatory meds--help please!

Sounds like you need medication. But, I wanted to offer that Yucca Root is a natural anti-inflammatory. Have you tried that? I can tell you more about what I've done with it if you haven't.

~~ Barbara ~~
Proudly owned by:
Heidi Vom Vinahaus, German Shepherd - DOB 1/2/07
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Prevacox works well for my senior 15 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Master Member

I agree with Barbara, yucca root works wonders. Try it if you havent already. My vets even agrees with me on this one.

Tina

Tina and Dave - Volunteers for Precious Paws Rescue - Barrie Ontario
Approved foster
Proud Owners of:
Beni gsd Dec 31, 2000 - Sept 5, 2009
Lia gsd & Mas Survivor
Render July 9/91 - Mar 31/2001
Autumn Jan 1979 - Oct 1990 (Sheltie)
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Knighted Member

I wish I could help you because you have helped me so much!

I just saw you post and wanted you to know my thoughts are with you and Chama. Hope the vet has the answers you need.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yes, I've given her yucca and it really didn't seem to help. She needs something stronger. I gave her the tincture from Animal Essentials.

She is on a triple dose of Longevity (http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2) which has bee pollen in it and that helps a lot with her lungs. I discovered that when I substituted something else for a few days and she started coughing a lot and had an asthma attack!

And she is on this as well:

Boswellia - 175 mg
Corydalis - 175 mg
Feverfew - 80 mg
Meadowsweet - 80 mg
Black Cherry - 50 mg
Bromelain - 50 mg
Celery Seed - 50 mg
Ginger - 25 mg
Turmeric - 25 mg
Wheatgrass - 25 mg
Cayenne - 5 mg

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowYes, I've given her yucca and it really didn't seem to help. She needs something stronger. I gave her the tincture from Animal Essentials.

She is on a triple dose of Longevity (http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/121/2) which has bee pollen in it and that helps a lot with her lungs. I discovered that when I substituted something else for a few days and she started coughing a lot and had an asthma attack!

And she is on this as well:

Boswellia - 175 mg
Corydalis - 175 mg
Feverfew - 80 mg
Meadowsweet - 80 mg
Black Cherry - 50 mg
Bromelain - 50 mg
Celery Seed - 50 mg
Ginger - 25 mg
Turmeric - 25 mg
Wheatgrass - 25 mg
Cayenne - 5 mg
In addition to this - you may also have an air conditioner for her- but I see how much it helps Timer and hope that you have one as well!!!!!!!
Good luck!

I forgot to asdd this - Timer is on 100 mg X2bid Rimadyl
But I generally give him one a day if he even needs that- I take him every 6 months for bloodwork - though his levels are normal probably due to the fact that I do not give him the med unless he's slower stiff, etc- also I will put a small heat pad on him on raw days (or use a thraputic heated bed perhaps) I leave it on low low heat and he seems to get as much out of it as I do- I figure if I am sore from the weather, HE's sore too! It works as he never gets up and walks away from it.....even when I go into the next room..........

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I have an air conditioner in my room and I have a water bed for her downstairs in the kitchen. Cool works better for her than warm.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Yucca? Huh...

What about Tramadol? It won't get rid of the inflammation but will remove pain.

I have been doing the cold packs on me to help my lungs. It's not great, but helps. Also, when I am outside, I try to keep cool-so maybe a frozen/wet bandana might help. I really have kept the AC on a lot to feel better. I don't like to, but if I don't, I can't sleep. So that's from her lung friend.

I am thinking I read that Metacam may be safer for NSAIDS-but I don't know if that is because it is used less. I will look for the link.

Not it but this is a nice link: http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/MSMMM.HTM

Minimizing Risks: http://avma.org/onlnews/javma/apr04/040415g.asp

Duralactin? Going to look at that...
http://www.duralactin.com/

I may not ever find that other link. Why don't I bookmark?

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-30-2008, 11:58 AM

I succumbed to using Rimadyl on my older dogs with their arthritic pains, altho the drug does scare me a bit. I had their bloodwork done every 6 months to monitor, and never had an issue.

Another thing I used for my last old girl, Cody (RIP) was a product called Wobenzyme which was suggested to me by a Homeopathic vet I used to see. The product has been known to eat up scar tissue which can help to alleviate pain which in turn aids in mobility. It too seemed to help her. This can be found at any health food store.

Forgive me, because I don't know what is ailing her...this is the first post I've read on your girl. I may be off track.

~~ Barbara ~~
Proudly owned by:
Heidi Vom Vinahaus, German Shepherd - DOB 1/2/07
R&B's Pistol Packin Buddy, Labrador Retriever - DOB 2/17/99
Lil' Bruder, German Shepherd - Rescued 9/30/08 - DOB Wild Guess 11/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page