My dog is dying- please say a prayer for her - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

My dog is dying- please say a prayer for her

My mixed breed who is somewhere between 13 and 15 had a mammary tumor that was malignant removed less than a year ago. I took her to the vet this morning because her back legs started giving out on her. He took x-rays and not only did the mammary tumors come back, but it has spread to her chest/lungs. I had a feeling she still had cancer, but to see that x-ray image of the cancer in her chest, I lost it. I asked him what the absolute maximum time I have left with her is and he replied that she would be lucky to have six months. Please say a prayer for her that she is not and will not suffer and please say one for me- pray for me that I will have the strength to know when it is the right time for her to pass and that I won't be selfish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 PM

Re: My dog is dying- please say a prayer for her

oh hon, I am so sorry. I can imagine you standing there looking at the x-ray.

As a mom, even a dog "mom" you will know when the time is right. I think it is an instinct we have, to not want, the ones we love to suffer.

Yes, it will be a hard decision, and gut wrenching at best, but it will be the right decision and you will know.

Being I just lost mine, I now have the benefit of hindsight. I sit and look at everyones pictures here online. It dawned on me, that I don't have enough good pictures of Bear.

Or I see where everyone has had so much fun with there dogs. For instance, I love where people let there dogs get muddy. I never did that, and wish I had.

Life is short, so go eat popsicles and cheeseburgers. Go play in the mud. Go to the lake. Snuggle on the couch and watch animal planet together.

Kathy

Kathy
Bear - 1996-2008 - RIP big dog
Ruby - NSR foster
Nena - NSR foster
Bruno - NSR foster
Blitz - NSR foster
Glory - SCR foster
Leibe - SSR foster
Lessie - CPR foster
Reno - CPR foster
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Elite Member

Praying to Him right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I'm so sorry to hear about you pup. One thing to remember, dogs don't read book or X-rays! I adopt senior/special needs pups and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "X only has days/weeks to live" and the pup has lived many happy, quality months.

My Lab Duncan was recently diagnosed with 2 kinds of Cancer - I now cherish every day, not only with him, but with all my pups, you just never know how long you will have with them.

Wishing you the best for your girl

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Elite Member

I am so very sorry... prayed to our Lord for you both... What a joy and blessing you've had each other and will again have each other when in Heaven!

God bless! Lovingly and specially!

Tanya

Xargos Vom Haus Tyson (born Sep., 27, 2008)
LoveBug, a brown-with-white Siberian cat, the kindest cat on earth (born Oct.27,2007)
Tiger, a red Siberian cat (born Aug.8,2008) -- Lovebug's best friend
Pumpkin, an outdoor cat
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Prayers coming your way and hers, too. I am so very, very sorry. You are her family, her friend-- you will know when. She is so lucky to have you looking out for her. Prayers are on the way!

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

I am so very sorry. I will keep you in my prayers.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Please come over and check out the new section on the board:

Preparing to Say Goodbye

Many people haver found help and comfort there.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Master Member

I am so sorry - I know you must be devastated. Just try to make the most of everyday like someone else suggested, take lots of pictures. Your post made me decide to do something that I've thought about, and haven't done yet, and that is - I'm going to get one of those little plaster handprint kits they make for babies. I'm going to make a paw-print of Kodee's for a keepsake. We never know how long we have.

Spoil her rotten (as I'm sure you already are) and know that when "it's time", you will know. She'll tell you in her own soft, gentle way. God bless you both.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SpiritsmamI'm so sorry to hear about you pup. One thing to remember, dogs don't read book or X-rays! I adopt senior/special needs pups and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "X only has days/weeks to live" and the pup has lived many happy, quality months.

My Lab Duncan was recently diagnosed with 2 kinds of Cancer - I now cherish every day, not only with him, but with all my pups, you just never know how long you will have with them.

Wishing you the best for your girl
There's alot of truth in that. Although I lost my Sieg to fast moving lymphatic cancer, we were successful in treating and saving Willie from lung cancer. My vet went beyond the call of duty to help him but she wanted to learn was her initial response to treating him. So she did not charge me for the chemo treatments he got. She said she would write it off as a learning expense. I don't know if she really did that or not. First she got the medication from a human hospital at the cost of $150 a treatment. Then she called her old professor at Cornell and found out how to make it herself from $25 worth of chemicals. She told me that in all her years as a vet she had never met a dog so stoic and so calm as he received 12 injections through a catheter. All the while he looked up at her with calm peaceful eyes of what looked to both of us as hope and gratitude. Willie survived another four years and when it finally was his time my vet excused herself. She couldn't do it. Her staff marveled at that. Her assistant told me it was a first. The tears I heard coming from her office I was also told were a first. My vet has pictures of her patients all over her clinic. Only one picture is on her desk. It's a picture of Willie. She told me that she had always known that dogs were capable of great love and courage, but her experience with me and Willie was life changing. I hope you also have such fortune as Willie and I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page