Who says older dogs.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Who says older dogs....

Can't start their first agility lessons at age 15??

Zamboni and I just came home from our first agility lesson ever. WooHoo! She loved it! She jumped on the little dog jumps, and figured out the tunnels in NO time!

This is a Tricks and Agility Class. The nice thing about being a senior is that while the kids in the class are trying learn new tricks, we seniors, who have been around a bit longer, already know about half the tricks.

Who says age doesn't have its benefits?!

She loved class. (She's never been to a formal class before. I trained all her obedience myself.) She seemed to enjoy learning new things. She especially loved the great snacks that I bought her just for this class.

And, not to be overlooked, it was a nice evening out, leaving the kids (2 year old Camper and the Meri, the Beagle Baby -- zooming around, completely out of control, as always) at home with Dad, while we enjoyed some peace and quiet.

Here's to an active retirement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: Who says older dogs....

How fun! In Dena's first agility class there were only 3 dogs - her, at 9 days past her first birthday, a Portugese Water Dog, who was a month or two older, and Sundance, a medium sized mixed breed dog, who was 10 years old. He wasn't fast, and at first he had a little trouble with the tunnel (Dad had to put him in a down stay at one end and then call him through from the other), but he was calm, cool, and collected, not to mention having FUN! when Dena & Jibe still learning how to pay attention in such a new and interesting environment.

GO Zamboni!!!!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Crowned Member

Go Boni! How great is that?!?!?!? She's setting the bar pretty high for the other seniors!

I took Chama through a regular agility class when she was 7. It was also her first class. She was the oldest dog, the only mixed breed and the only dog allowed to be off leash. She learned everything way before the other dogs and was so proud of herself. Like Zamboni, she also enjoyed all the treats she got.

She will still tunnel if she sees a tunnel structure. Unfortunately she's no longer very stable and her stamina runs out pretty quickly so jumping, etc. is no longer an option. She does love the little trails I take her on up here. She falls down sometimes but still enjoys and adventure!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Crowned Member

thats awesome for you guys!! sounds like fun

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

WAY TO GO ZAMBONI!!! That's fantastic!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom He wasn't fast,
Fast? Oh wait. We have to be "fast"?? Define "fast," please.

I'll talk to Boni about this. She might need to work on her speed a little for next week!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

AMAZING! Geesh-I will not tell Kramer-he's still working the kinks out from his bath yesterday.

I bet that accuracy will count for as much as speed!

When Kramer was 11 I took him to an agility class. It was an odd class-we started out with a lot of dogs but ended up with a traumatized border collie (who had been attacked by a JRT in the beginning of the class), a timid JRT, an 8 year old rescue basset hound, and Kramer. The last day of class he and the basset were paired for timed competition against the BC and JRT and won-it was really fun and funny.

SENIORS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Cassidys Mom He wasn't fast,
Fast? Oh wait. We have to be "fast"?? Define "fast," please.

I'll talk to Boni about this. She might need to work on her speed a little for next week!
Keeping up with the owner?

Sundance and his dad, having slow fun:

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, in that case, we're fine. I'm so busy woo-hooing and whooping it up, I get exhausted!

And Jean, Kramer has a pack to rule, he can't be bothered with such trivialities as agility!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Elite Member

Well done Zamboni! We should start a Senior's Agility Club...naw I like the idea of our seniors mingling with the younins

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page