Honey & Kelly's 6 month physicals! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Honey & Kelly's 6 month physicals!

Honey passed hers with flying colors!!! Everything was normal including her bloodwork.
Kelly's was really a pleasant surprise. His ALT values are down to 191, the rest of his bloodwork was also normal!!! He's been having problems seeing at night and he may have the beginnings of his retinas atrophying. Since his ALT values are doing so good he'll continue taking the amoxicilline.

While we were there, our vet introduced me to a vet who specializes in veterinary rehab and works with older dogs. While what she does is physical therapy, legally in FL it can't be called physical therapy on animals. I had been planning on taking Kel and Honey for Bowen Therapy, but figured I'd try this type of therapy first.

Kel had his LONG two hour appointment today and will have therapy Friday. She worked some on Honey. Honey will have her LONG two hour appointment then. She'll work some on Kelly.

Kel laid on a magnetic bed while she stretched, massaged, and "pulled" his various joints, paying particular attention to his elbows. It was remarkable. She measured the various angles before and after the therapy and there was a big difference in his range of motion. He was supposed to start taking Pred today (after a five day hiatus from Metacam), but this doctor wants me to wait until tomorrow to see how the new therapy did without the help of new meds.

Honey wasn't too impressed with the procedure, but she seems to feel better. Both Kel and her can now move their tails.

I'll post more after their appointment on Friday. I have to drop them off and then pick them up in the afternoon because I have a lunch date with a friend I haven't seen in ages and didn't want to cancel it.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Elite Member

Re: Honey & Kelly's 6 month physicals!

Yah to Honey & Kelly! Massage Therapy is amazing isn't it Gayle? You see instant results and they look like they are so much more relaxed. The magnet bed is a great investment when there is a senior around!

Yes do give us an update after the Friday appointment.

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Crowned Member

VERY good news-I am so glad.

And that sounds like great treatment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Oh Gayle, sounds wonderful.

And that rubbing and stretching (since we can't call it physical therapy) sounds great. I think *I* need to lie on a magnetic bed and have someone massage and stretch and pull my aching joints. Creeeeak!

Where do I sign up?

Truly, good news. Especially for Kel. I think he should be "last bite" dog tonight. Or maybe, just some extra snacks for doing so well. He's clearly working hard on staying healthy!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kelly started his pred on Thursday and Friday he was gagging and having dry heaves. He'd only had three doses. I called the vet and she said to stop the pred and wait the five days and go back to Metacam. BUT Metacam wasn't working for him, that's why he was put on pred. She also had me start him on some of Ringer's Sucalfate which I still have in the medicine drawer (so glad I didn't toss it after Ringer went to the Bridge).

He didn't eat yesterday so I gave him a can of meat and he ate that, nothing else. Today he ate maybe 1/2 his breakfast. I won't even try giving him kibble for dinner, I'll give him a can of meat and make a couple scrambled eggs to go with it.

The rehab isn't working as much as I'd like to see. It's helping some, but his arthritis is really bad in his elbows. He's having a hard time walking anywhere.

I'm cancelling his appointment with the rehab vet tomorrow and will get an appointment with his regular vet instead. I'm hoping she'll be able to come up with something to get his pain under control. It's the only thing I want for him, to ensure he has a quality life and right now I can't do it for him.

At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Elite Member

Aww No! Sorry to hear that Kel is having a rough time. Have you tried massage therapy with him? I find that makes a big difference with Mas as well as the magnetic bed. I used the palm mag on Mas when I could borrow it from my vet, I saw how much of a difference it had on Mas's mobility and over all physique.

I would be interested to hear what the vet suggests tomorrow.

Good luck Gayle, I'll be thinking of you.

Ruby

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry to hear about Kelly. My ex had a dog that was put on pred and he had a terrible time with it too. Is that why Kelly isn't eating or is the not eating something else? I hope the vet is able to come up with a really good alternative tomorrow.

I understand completely how you feel. I've got Chama who has terrible arthritis and lung problems and Cleo (my 16 yo cat) who has terrible arthritis and periodically likes to stop eating. She also refuses all supplements and medications.

I can't give Chama NSAIDS because she also has some liver problems. So she's on a triple does of joint stuff and she also gets anti-inflammatory herbs at night. Her food is grain and potato free because both of those exacerbate arthritis. Her knees are completely shot and she uses her hip flexors for everything now. I am worried about how she's going to do at my cottage which has always been her favorite place in the world.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Ruby - I forgot to mention I was going to try to get him in for a Bowen Therapy massage which helped Ringer so much. It's funny, tonight he seemed to feel pretty good (pretty good for a boy with all his problems). He ate some rice and a hard cooked egg along with some canned meat. I was going to give him some egg foo yung (sp) but it had a lot of seafood in it and I didn't want to upset his tummy any more than what it is.

Ruby - Kel was starting to leave a small portion of his meals before the pred, but he's just not eating kibble now. Today I ordered some joint remedy his rehab vet suggested (I was having a difficult time finding it) so hopefully that will help. I may have to put him on some sort of soft diet, I don't know yet but will keep grain/potato free in mind when finding something. I wonder if the Evo 95% All Beef canned is a complete diet? That's what I feed them with their kibble and I know he loves it.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kel didn't eat much of his breakfast so I gave him a can of meat which he immediately ate. I'm really concerned. The Hooligans are not picky eaters, when one doesn't eat there's something wrong, even when they're only eating soft, tasty treats like Kel is right now. I cancelled his and Honey's appointment with the rehab vet and got one for him with his regular doctor for this afternoon.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

I am glad he ate the canned food. I wonder if something is making it hard to chew or if it's just easier to eat that canned (and tastier)? Is it extra hot there or anything like that?

He's already on Tramadol isn't he? Do they do pain patches? Or am I way over the top here on that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page