Wheelchair Carts Timing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Wheelchair Carts Timing

I was looking at Millie's pictures in the rescue stories section and was wondering how you know if a dog is an appropriate candidate for one of those wheelchair carts?

I was watching Kramer-he still has use of the hind legs and can get up the stairs using their ooomph, so that's good. I just was thinking he'd probably like going faster for longer periods of time and wasn't sure if using something like those carts ends up taking away from whatever back end strength they have.

And they aren't one of those things you casually buy and then decide not to use!

Looking at this: http://www.dogkarts.com/ for further info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Wheelchair Carts Timing

My attempts to get Ringer to use a borrowed K-9 wheelchair was a failure - it just didn't work for him. Maybe I tried to get him to use it incorrectly, but whatever happened, the final answer was it wasn't for him. His late sister from Gainesville didn't like hers either - her owners sent theirs back.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Wheelchair Carts Comparison

Does anyone have any strong views on the type of wheelchair they have used or tried to use?

I was reading this link: http://home.earthlink.net/~rwakeling...ogs/chairs.htm

And was kind of interested in this company:
http://www.doggon.com/home.html
I wish that the person who did that website said where she got hers from (she may have-I may have missed it).

In their Q/A it seems like the dogs still can use and do use their legs so you don't get atrophy? You just don't want to introduce something before it's time, or at least that is in my mind.

Plus, in order to use something like that in the house, (can you? without an open floor plan) you want something that doesn't have a huge footprint. Kramer isn't the patient type-he'll run you down!

And I drive a car, so it would have to fit in a car or trunk. If I go this route.

I was looking at the non-custom one (Walkin Wheels) on this site: http://www.handicappedpets.biz/www/pet-p...heelchairs.html

I guess it also has the front end support needed.

I keep trying to figure this out-what is best for him-is this necessary-does he need this-but have no idea. I don't know if he's ready for this or if it would help. I don't have a clue. NONE!

Those political threads were a very nice distraction from having to think about this.

Thanks if anyone has any input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Crowned Member

This guy is fantastic. He's been making them for years and also sells used carts.

http://www.eddieswheels.com/

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I've been reading a lot about different wheelchairs and carts.

They actually make quad carts for dogs-that consumers can purchase now. Eddies sells them as does Doggon Wheels or whatever they are called!

Anyway, the quad carts are for dogs who have weakness in all legs. Drawback-it's like Dune Buggy size: http://handicappedpets.biz/www/index...article&id=107

http://kunasz.smugmug.com/gallery/4792198_L2y5Z/1 is a really nice tribute to a dog and tells more about carts and mobility. And that guy has beautiful landscape photos as well. WOW.

http://www.handicappedpets.biz/www/pet-h...-companies.html has more cart companies.

I am going to print a few off and show them to the vet next week. In my fantasy world, this is a pinched disc, or something caused by a movement done in a chiro appt. and once rested and able to pop back into place, his front legs will work better again. Because some of us are better off tense, I think! Homeostasis or something. When my back popped out it took 3 months to go back in, and longer to return to normal, and if I had been a dog, I probably would have been PTS! (not sure if that is funny or not! but I'm tired)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Knighted Member

That Doggon Quad Cart looks really cool - but expensive!

Jean, did I miss something? Did they break Kramer? Now I'm really nervous - Lady Jane has a chiro/acupuncture appointment on 9/27.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

VERY expensive. I wish they could pro rate it on the dog's age or something! If I had a lot of money I'd open a rental place for these kind of things.

I am not sure if they broke him or not. I am going to try to get him back in-before LJ's appt-with that vet to see what they can tell. He goes to his regular vet next Friday. He's having a rough time walking-at times he does well and at other times I give him some help. He's on the metacam-I upped it to 50# (which is about his weight now) from 40# and that seems to help.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

I can't afford a cart for Chama. And she probably wouldn't like it anyway.

So we continue walking 3 times a day. Sometimes the walks are 1/4 mile and really slow and other times they are a mile and at a good pace. This morning she did not want to come down the stairs or even go outside. But I think it is weather related--it was so humid that i felt like I had arthritis in one of my toes!

I hope Kramer does get up and going again. I guess I am resigning myself to the beginning of the end thing.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Knighted Member

I'm really bummed because LJ won't even climb the stairs to go up to bed with me. She does great coming down. So, Steel (my husky) sleeps with her.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Elite Member

Eddie's wheels is what I used for my female GSD when she began to lose use of her hind legs from degenerative myleopathy. I loved her cart and I think she liked it too. It took her about 5 minutes to find she could have freedom again and run again. Once she figured out how to get around in it she was OFF TO THE RACES. We had great luck with it on grass, pavement sand even water!

Because of that cart, I was given an additional 18 months with my girl. It certainly gave quality to her life again.

GSGSR & GSR-SP
Trainer @ Obedient K9 Dog Training /Professional Member of I.A.C.P.
Proudly owned by Reno CGC, Lance CGC, Carlie CGC & Sniper CGC (GSD's)& Rylee CGC Yorkie(all rescues)
RIP my beautiful Cheyenne (GSD)
Dogster Id: 638901

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page