Liver question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Liver question.

Ringer had his physical yesterday. He passed his bloodtests EXCEPT his iron is low and he needs to start eating liver. I HATE liver. I HATE to look at it. I HATE to touch it. I HATE to smell it. I HATE to be around it. I just HATE it. Do you all think I could give him the freeze dried beef liver in lieu of fresh cooked chicken livers?

He was really having a bad day yesterday. Needed help waking into the vets and out. She lent me a cart for him if I can figure out how to use it. When he got home he couldn't get up the ramp without a lot of help. Funny, he slept thru the night without moving. He woke up when I got up a few times but was asleep again seconds after I got back. I was really worried about this AM - but GOOD NEWS - he got up and walked outside under his own power!!!

I hate Pred yet I know it has a place in medical practice. And sadly the time has come where the Medacam is no longer working and it's time to start him on Pred. I'm to stop the Medacam for five days and then start the Pred on Saturday. I hate doing it but it's better than allowing him to continue like he has been going. Keep your fingers crossed that it works for him.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Master Member

Re: Liver question.

Why do u hate this much.????

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Knighted Member

If the point is to get as much iron out of the food as possible I would choose the food with the most iron. You can look at the USDA database for raw and cooked foods and perhaps you can get an analysis on a commercial freeze dried product to compare.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

It says:

Chicken, liver, all classes, cooked, simmered= 3.26mg per 28 grams
Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, cooked, braised= 1.83mg per 28 grams

Based on the above I would venture to say cooked chicken livers would be a better source of iron over the beef.

Could you cook a big batch, freeze portions and feed them frozen? This way you would only have to smell it occasionally. . .

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Gayle, we all have our limits and it sounds like the look, feel and smell of liver is your stopper.

Do you have a friend who would be willing to cook liver in large batches for you in exchange for something you could do for them?

Alternately, maybe someone here can advise a good iron supplement that would do the trick.

Good luck to you.

Bonnie

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

I seem to remember giving Bruno canned fish stuff when he was anemic when I got him? Like sardines, Tuna (now realize that was probably a little mercury rich), salmon? And I think I gave him a vitamin with extra iron? It was 5 years ago and I am having a hard time remembering why I did the fish!

PS-Won't be around much this week due to a laptop being "hospitalized" and a desktop slower than...the Democratic primary process. I hope he keeps getting better.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Elite Member

We used lixotinic for the horses and you can use it for dogs and cats as well. this may be goo for you. Also if you are going back on pred I would suggest adding a supplement to protect his liver function - I personally like DMG (I use the GLuta-DMG), milk thistle, or SAM E all support liver function.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Master Member

Gayle- I am sorry to hear this. Bonnie had a great idea. If I was closer I would do it for you and maybe you could dust my living room or something that I truly hate!

I hate livers, too, but could cook them if I needed to. I do cook turkey liver, heart and gizzards at Thanksgiving. My little boy actually likes them. Eww. What is a gizzard anyway? My aversion is not as strong as yours, I guess.

Good luck with everything.

"Dogs are our link to paradise.To sit with a dog
on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back
in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--
it was peace."
Milan Kundera

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Knighted Member

If the smell of boiled chicken livers is upsetting, you can broil them. I think they actually smell pretty good.

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Crowned Member

The dehydrated stuff works in a pinch. Canz sells lamb liver too, and their stuff is more wholesome than the tub o' beef liver that you can get at big box stores. I do use that to supplement my dog's "real" liver intake.

Here's what I do though. I buy chicken liver in the little containers. (Beef liver is so much worse than chicken liver. ). Start a pot of boiling water. Empty the containers into the water (you never even have to touch it!) and boil. You don't have to boil it too long. Just til the meat turns pasty brown.

Then, spoon the meat out and stick into zip loc containers or something similar. Once the water/broth is cooled, let Mr. Ring-Dinger drink the water too.

Then, once the cooked liver has cooled, you can cut it into pieces. If it isn't cool, it will be really crumbly, so make sure it's cool.

You do know to feed teeny tiny pieces at a time, right? Or you'll have a dog with really nasty blobby runny poop.

Here is a website that gives you Iron-rich foods that aren't liver.
http://www.whfoods.org/genpage.php?t...trient&dbid=70

I sprinke thyme, parsley, and basil on all my dogs' meat. I cook up pork chops with cinnamon. I make a veggie stew out of mustard greens, turnip greens, kale, chard, Brussels sprouts, and romaine. (If you steam these, then stir in cooked sweet potato -- also high in iron -- or pumpkin -- add honey if he has a sweet tooth, he'll likely eat it). In other words, there are ways to supplement iron. Plant-based vitamins are harder for dogs' bodies to absorb, but it can be done -- at least so that you don't have to feed as much liver.

You'll note that shrimp and venison (if you can afford it) are just as good sources of liver as calf liver.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for all the links and suggestions. I ordered some freeze dried liver and am contacting the manufacturer to see how many pieces will equal the iron content of one chicken liver.

It's funny that I have a liver phobia. When I was small I loved liver but somehow developed an irrational dislike for anything dealing with the meat. I can recall as a little girl my big Thanksgiving Day treat was when my Mom let me have the liver and heart.

And yes, I know giving the Hooligans too much liver will definitely result in the world's worst case of diarrhea.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page