Question on Additives - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Question on Additives

Sammy is 13 1/2 years old and in very good shape for that age. But lately she has refused to eat her food when we add in her additives. Granted, I do have a few as we feed Prozyme, Honest Kitchen's Perfect Form (good digestive formula); Invirgor (nutritional supplement); FortiFlora, Cell Advance 880; Fastrack. We are feeding Merrick's canned Working Dog Formula along with Royal Canine Low Digestive/Low Fat dry food.

The Royal Canine is basically for Halley as our Halley has some pancreatic problems.

We were doing very good but now Sammy will only eat if we leave off the additives. If she was Halley's age, I would just wait until she decided to eat as it is good food. However, at 13 1/2, I will not be as tough. In other words, I will basically give her what she wants.

Currently I have an appointment with the vet on Tuesday as she won't even eat her food if I add the Metacam in her food. So now I am emplying the Cell Advance capsule & adding the Metacam and giving it with cream cheese.

Her additives are good for her and I really hate to see her refuse to eat them but believe me, she knows they are there.

If I leave everything off, she eats very good. Any ideas?

Pat Moreno
Sammy & Halley

Pat Moreno
Halley - Majestic's Jasmin V BonJon RA, RE, NA, NAP, NJP
Cowboy - Majestic's Stephen RA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Question on Additives

Same exact thing here with Kramer. He is now not on any supplements or meds that I think he would benefit from, like his glucosamine (I was using Synovi crystals), Tramadol for pain, Prozyme, anything! This morning I tried dissolving something and no go. I would have thought his taste buds would have gotten less sensitive with age, but right now, he could test food for kings (other kings).

I look for liquid versions of everything now and mix it in water in his food-or dissolve things-but even that doesn't always work. I ordered chewable Synovi, which he had liked in the past, then stopped liking. Hoping he is back to liking it.

So right now the only thing he is getting regularly is his Adequan shot. That is not, in my mind, enough to keep him feeling great, but at this age, I also give in.

Oh-and he is a total [censored] to pill! Plus he now will cough, so how can I do that to him.

I wonder if there is an answer-that would be great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Crowned Member

I allow the seriors to more or less dictate what they want. Mac, who's not a senior, always gobbles up his Dasuquin. But Ringer, Honey & Kelly pick and choose when they will eat theirs and when they won't. I stopped sweating it.

I also cater to their whims and will feed them what they seem to want. When I add meds to their food and they don't like it I try different things to get them to eat. I'm usually successful when I mix prescription a/d with their meds - they love the stuff.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 AM
Crowned Member

Chama is pretty good except now she's getting granulated garlic because tick season is coming and she hates that stuff. So now she throws everything on the floor and picks out what she wants. Then Rafi comes along and vacuums up whatever's left so he gets double some of the supplements.

So...I have to disguise the garlic. Here's what works:

--Juice from raw meat or cooked meat
--The gravy stuff from the canned food
--Tuna or salmon juice (as in the water from the can)
--Rehydrated freeze dried salmon pieces

So far one of those has been working but if they stop then I'll just skip the garlic. She fine with the other five supplements I give her.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm glad to know it is just not us. One thing we are going to do is I have an appointment next Tuesday with our vet to discuss changing the metacam. I do notice this problem with the eating more if her pain flares up more so it could possibly be that.

I want to go back to previcox (& that may be misspelled but that one was possibly the best). Also it is a pill and I can use cream cheese which Sammy likes.

Then we are going to see about acupunture. I'm not to sure about that one but we can give it a try as it can't possibly hurt anything.

Pat Moreno
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Knighted Member

The human formulation of Metacam is Meloxicam - available at pharmacies in pill form.

I guess I'm lucky - my two puppers will eat anything with either cream cheese or butter on it!

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

That's good to know about Meloxicam. The liquid just doesn't work well for us.

Pat Moreno
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

And the Meloxican is cheaper!

Joanne

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

If I'm giving Chama herbs then I give them separate from her food because they taste nasty.

And I jinxed things--this morning she wouldn't eat. I put some crumbled sheep's cheese in and then she ate!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, I will get some as getting her to eat in the mornings is tough. The afternoon is fine but the morning is hard.

I now have to sign the Cowboy dinner song to her in the mornings. Yes, I know it is a little crazy around here but anything that works.

Pat Moreno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page