Moth eaten coat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Moth eaten coat

I'm having a problem with Kelly. His coat is moth eaten. He has large patches that looks like it was shaved short, no bare skin - it's like a 5 o'clock shadow, some of the "shaved" areas have tufts of guard hair, others don't.

The results of his Michigan thyroid panel came back normal yesterday. He was going to have a Cushings test but that was cancelled because his liver panel didn't indicate a need for it.

He has a lot of health issues. One is an elevated ALT that we have never figured out what's causing it. He takes amoxicillin that keeps the value down in the low 200's. His liver biopsy shows there is liver damage, but after a lot of testing there is no diagnosis.

He can't have any more invasive testing.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Moth eaten coat

I'm at a loss. Poor Kelly. I'll talk to all my dog friends/professionals and see if anyone has insight. How old is Kel? 11 or 12?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Mom - Kel was 12 on January 12.

At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

Um, coconut oil?

Seriously, I am guessing it has something to do with the liver damage.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

Geez, Gayle-got a while to read all this?
http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=421

I searched patch and Alopecia areata, Follicular dystrophy/dysplasia (non-color linked) but that doesn't list GSDs.

It sounds like the hair is breaking?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No, his hair is soft, doesn't feel brittle. But on that link you gave me, it says with Cushings Disease, he has what I think may be blackheads at the mothy spots. I mentioned to the vet that the spots look black - I'll try washing them real good tomorrow to see what happens. Besides the mothy spots, he doesn't have any of the other symptoms.

I just remembered one thing, he has scaly spots along his backbone.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowUm, coconut oil?

Seriously, I am guessing it has something to do with the liver damage.
Is there a special type of coconut oil or just any old thing I can find at the health food store?

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Crowned Member

Here is the coconut oil thread. It has a lot of information about benefits and uses as well as the proper type to buy. It also has lots of silliness so be forewarned!

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post668015

Now the scaly skin and blackheads...hmmm, well the skin is the largest organ in the body so if all is not well with his immune system then it makes sense that you would be seeing it at the level of the skin. Does he smell a bit funky too? What all are you giving him for supplements, food, etc.?

I would try the coconut oil first and see if it helps. It is supposed to very good for skin and coat as well as a good detoxifier.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow...
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post668015

Now the scaly skin and blackheads...hmmm, well the skin is the largest organ in the body so if all is not well with his immune system then it makes sense that you would be seeing it at the level of the skin. Does he smell a bit funky too? What all are you giving him for supplements, food, etc.?

I would try the coconut oil first and see if it helps. It is supposed to very good for skin and coat as well as a good detoxifier.
Thanks for the link!!!

Funny, I got an email from Kel's breeder this AM out of the blue. She mentioned his younger sister (10-1/2) is being treated for a fungal problem on her ears. When I described Kel's problem she said it sounded similar to Janie's problem.

FOOD: Eagle Pack Holistic Select fish food with 1/6 can of Evo 95% Beef. Table scraps (1/6 and I'm fat so there aren't many), Canadia (sp) snap biscuits, Pill Pockets, and an ocassional treat from a fast food restaurant.

SUPPLEMENTS/MEDS: Dasequin, Omega 6 oil (forget the brand), Tramadol, Amoxicillin, Metacam.

ODOR: He needs a bath, but no unusual body odor.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Crowned Member

Remind me what you're feeding, and the supplements?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page