acupuncture for nervous dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

acupuncture for nervous dogs?

Simon, my 10 year old GSD, had x-rays on Tuesday and was diagnosed with spondylosis. The proper position for pelvic rads was out of his comfort range, so we weren't able to evaluate his hips. I made an appointment for Friday with a holistic vet that does acupuncture and chiropractic manipulations. We'll be doing acupuncture for sure on this visit, but we'll see if Simon's a candidate for the chiro. He's coming to work with me tomorrow and if he's up to it, we'll try for those pelvic x-rays again.

Simon will stay in pretty much any position I ask him to, so I'm not worried about him not cooperating during the acupuncture. But he does get antsy when he's being coddled and I know he'll be anxious and whiney. How do dogs normally respond during the session? How do they get the dogs to relax? I really don't want this to be something stressful for him, especially if it's going to become routine. I would love it if he were to be one of those dogs that fall asleep during the procedure.

This will be my first visit ever with a homeopath and I'm so looking forward to actually being able to talk diet with my vet!

Simon HIC CGC 2.20.98-6.26.11
and KittyGurl & Jaedi the meowcats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Elite Member

Re: acupuncture for nervous dogs?

I did acupuncture on my gsdx. He was very whiney on the first visit. The needles are left in for a period of time. He settled down some. He was much more relaxed during the following treatments and would doze off some.

Hope things go well for you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 AM
Crowned Member

I've had several dogs go thru acupuncture, Ringer was the latest. His vet tried the electrical stimulation variety, and it helped him BUT he misbehaved so much at his second appointment, we had to go back to using the Bowen Massage Therapy exclusively (which also works great and he loves it).
GOOD LUCK!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

My dogs have always settled down once the needles are in.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks everyone. I will try to emit calming vibes and maybe I'll take him for a good long walk beforehand.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Well, we saw this vet yesterday and I just loved him. He answered all of my questions, sounded very knowledgeable, and loved that I feed raw. We did the acupuncture, which lasted all of 10 min, and Simon handled it just fine. Didn't even whine. And he was very relaxed with this doctor. (He gives his current vet/my boss the evil eye on every visit.)

The vet thinks the spondylosis may or may not be causing Simon's symptoms. (Weakness in the rear, occasional weird gait, lack of coordination...) I started Chondroprotec injections (supposed to be the same as adequin, though there seem to be varying opinions on that) with my regular vet. The new doctor wants me to try the DGP I had just purchased, then move to a NSAID if I see no improvement. If the NSAIDs don't work, then it is very likely DM. Trying not to think about that one too much.

For those of you that have used Adequin injections or acupuncture, how long was it before you saw improvement? What kind of improvement did you see? I think Simon's symptoms are not as obvious as limping, so I'm not even sure what to be looking for. I do see some stiffness when he gets up, and he's very slow to sit down (one symptom I forgot to jot in my notes to cover ) so I guess I should be looking for improvement in these areas?

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Crowned Member

With acupuncture, I saw immediate improvement. But for serious spinal issues, my dog needed a chiropractor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

This vet does chiropractic manipulations also, and said that it could do more harm than good at this point.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

Every case is different. It's good that you have someone that knows a variety of things to determine which one is best for your situation.

Just curious, is your vet certified in acupuncture and chiro?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTJust curious, is your vet certified in acupuncture and chiro?
Just did a search on the aava.org website and did not find him. Don't know if there is anywhere else to look, but I'm guessing he's not certified in acu/chiro.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page