Grooming a senior. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Grooming a senior.

I've had seniors in the past but never had this problem before. Up until now I could support a senior Hooligan on my knees when I was raking them but for some reason Ringer doesn't fit. He has a bad back so I wouldn't dare force him up and he collapses after a minute or two. I can groom everything but his rear legs. I take the Hooligans to a groomer who is very good with them, she always uses an assistant to supprt the old guys while she works with them, but I don't think he's capable of doing this very often so I try to space their appointments as far apart as possible.

Any suggestions?

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Grooming a senior.

When my old boys could no longer stand during grooming, I just laid them down on their sides and just had them rotate so I could get both sides.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What a great suggestion, wish I had trained him to lay on his side when he was young. I think that will be my next project, train the three younger Hooligans to lay on their sides on command!!!

At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I too groomed my "super seniors" on their sides. In addition to keeping their coats healthy, they really liked the hip massage and I could check their skin to make certain they weren't getting any pressure damage. I now have a younger group and grooming is much more of a challenge - brush comes out, four dogs vanish.

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Knighted Member

I usually don't come in here, I don't have a senior yet, but just thought I'd take a peek.

Gayle, thats what I have been doing with Biker, since he can't seem to stand for very long I just brush him while he is laying down.
The only thing is with all his fluff back there when I go to trim it it's not real even. Oh well.

Michele

Biker GSD (RIP My sweet boy)
Rugby English Bulldog (RIP We love you)
Rita English Bulldog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone. I'll have to start raking him in the house since he never lays on his side when he's outdoors.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE: Can anyone recommend a small shop vac that's got good suction? Mine is about 20something, falls off its wheels, is heavy, and I need a new one.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

You know, we should start a thing called Working Backwards-Things to Train Young Dogs Who Will Someday Become Seniors...

Or something like that!

Like Nina doesn't potty on a leash, Kramer doesn't lay down like that for grooming (good idea), making sure they know and love ramps, getting pills in them easily (and cheaply), hand signals for when they go deaf, etc., etc., etc. Some of the things I could have possibly trained for/prepped for had I had one clue. Just one.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Choosing-a...iness&id=24202 I don't know if that will help or not! I don't know much about Shop Vacs!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Crowned Member

Good idea Jean!
We are always so excited to train them as puppies to be nice well behaved adults, but what about all the senior ailments they get, we do need to think of those too, so we can be prepared.

I groom all my seniors laying on their sides also. Poor Jake, he hates being brushed now, and when he sees me coming with the rake and brush, he tries to get up and leave. He used to love being groomed.

I have been using ttouch with him right before I get ready to brush him, and that has helped.

Sorry Gayle, I have no idea about shop vacs, I just use my regular vac.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Jean and Tammy!!!

All my guys know to use the ramp so that's a huge benefit. Over the years they've learned from the other Hooligans and often use it. They use the stairs too.

I LOVE Pill Pockets for pills, don't know what I'd do without them. I've been able to stuff pills down their throats too when I have to except for Kelly who is worse than an angry gator when it comes to giving him pills. The last time he wasn't feeling well I had a terrible time getting his pills down him since he was refusing to eat.

But I do think I'll start training the three younger guys to lay on their sides.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Crowned Member

i find toby has a problem standing to long to be groomed. after a minute or so of standing his gets his slplit stance going, so i support him under his lower stomach with one arm and brush the rear and tail. laying down would be the best idea, which i have also done.

debbie

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page