Stair Issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Stair Issues

Huh-Kramer is having a real problem with the stairs. For the one step out of the front door he has kind of fallen out of the house-or he awkwardly jumps from the doorway to the ground, really. It's very odd and very uncomfortable looking.

THEN on the deck stairs to the back yard that he uses throughout the day, he's also been wanting to jump instead of going down them. Of course, that big old spine being fused...I am a titch concerned. Four steps down. He goes down one maybe and then jumps.

I've been working on him to stop that but haven't gotten it to the point of normal doing down the stairs one at a time. He has been doing two, jumping two but I thought that's just his joie de vivre. (denial...ignorance is blind...what else!)

Up is okay. That is worth a

But down is getting very weird. Vision? I am thinking it might be time to build a permanent ramp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Stair Issues

Vision was my first thought when I read this. I know Chama has trouble on the inside and outside stairs at night when the lights aren't on. Or he may be worried about tripping. Chama waits for me to spot her. A ramp would be good as long as he's willing to use it. A harness could also help.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I've been considering putting Nina's harness on him...at night I've been using a big light thing...

I was thinking if the only way to get off the deck is the ramp, he'd do it.

I had no idea having a senior could be like this-not that this is awful or terrible, but it's hard figuring out what to do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Crowned Member

I bought a ramp for Basu when he hurt his knee and he refused to use it. Instead he hauled his butt up the stairs. Chama was running up and down the ramp like she was in agility class.

Massie couldn't do stairs for the last 5 years of her life. So we lived on the first floor with minimal stairs into the house and I gave her a boost if she needed it.

This senior stuff is tough. Chama can barely breath with this warm weather and her back legs are giving out on her. I just ordered a bunch of new supplements and a refill of her "Get up and go" which clearly was working (I ran out last week).

I would the harness on Kramer and see if he'll tolerate it. I think building a ramp is a good idea though. I'm sure if you put enough really good treats on it he'll use it...especially if it blocks total access to the stairs!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Knighted Member

Sarge is only 3 1/2 and when we go down stairs hes stands at the top, looks at me without going down until I turn the light on for him. His vision is fine but he wont go down the dark steps until the light is on. It seems to me their eyes dont adjust to the darkness as fast as ours do or something. When hes tried to go down the steps with very little light Ive seem him stumble on the steps like he cant see them.

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN...
But down is getting very weird. Vision? I am thinking it might be time to build a permanent ramp.
I had a K9 handicap ramp built for Yukon 10 years ago and believe me, it's been a blessing over the years. I don't know what I would have done without it. Right now Ringer uses it to go down the majority of the time and always coming back up. Honey is about 50/50 and Kelly doesn't use it going down unless there's something to bark at at the neighbor's house facing the ramp. He's starting to have to use it a lot coming up.

And the biggest benefit is when my back is giving me a problem I use it too!!!

I have several suggestions. One is that you use a moderate slant - not too steep. Also to use hand rails and a middle rail or maybe two so HRH won't fall over the side. I've had to assist some elderly Hooligans up the ramp, so also suggest it's wide enough for that (ours is about as wide as a hall way). I assume the King will demand a red carpet on his? Also, I'm not too sure how you'd handle ice on it, I guess the same way you do on the steps???

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

I also had a handicapped dog ramp built many years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. The old dogs can gradually start using them on their own as they have increasing trouble with stairs and when I had a dog that couldn't use the ramp on his own anymore either, I could just help him up it by pulling him from the side by the collar. I've found that this helps maintain my dog's dignity by keeping them as independent as possible for as long as possible, and I don't have to worry about hurting myself by either trying to carry them up the stairs or have my dog freak out while being helped up the stairs.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

I'm voting for a ramp as well.

The thing is, the sooner that we get used to racing up and down a ramp, when we're young and it's fun, the better. When we're older, less mobile, perhaps a bit confused, and not so inclined to try new things, it will be scary, intimidating and we'll hate it.

Not that HRH will grumble and kvetch....

Especially if his ramp has a red carpet and pages lining the sides, bowing as he passes!

I was thinking about the rest of your pack...
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: 3K9Mom
Especially if his ramp has a red carpet and pages lining the sides, bowing as he passes!
And don't forget he'll need a group of trumpeters sounding a fanfare when he appears at the top of the ramp before he decends!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

I'd say probably hips or hip. My eldest bunny hops down flights of stairs when she does them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page