Home Cooking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Home Cooking

Kramer's been very picky about his foods lately. I got him some TOTW and for a couple of days it was finger (toe?) lickin' good. Now it's...eh. And would be much better with sauce!

So I am considering doing a home cooking and hopefully kibble combo as in hopefully he'll eat kibble! When he was on the fish diet he was so excited to get kibble.

http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/p...products_id=88

http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/p...products_id=77

Those booklets were two things I looked at. $250 for a consultation is a bit too much for me. Particularly because there is a part of me that says if he wants something, give it to him, he's 15 and even Euell Gibbons wouldn't deny him that, right?

Do you think either of those things will give me the percentages, etc. that I need. I know he'll get meat. After that I am at a loss.

I liked that liver diet because it was all measured out and took the nervousness out of it for me. I know that even though he's older, I don't want to screw him up. I do want him to enjoy his meals though.

No raw, no pre-made raw, no raw dehydrated though.

Oh! What are these?

Sorry-got distracted!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Home Cooking

Have you tried the Orijen Fresh Fish with him? Chama loves it. To get her started I add in her canned food and then pour on warm water to make a broth and get it all smelling good.

For home made, I think Monica's books are the way to go. You can also join her email list on yahoo groups. She is on there all of the time and will answer any questions you have for free. There are other helpful people on there too.

I still need that little snowing and shivering icon. It's flurrying out right now!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Here too!!!!

I've been feeding that Fresh Fish with the Fromm Salmon. I tried seperating them out but he was still like...I am SO over this (meanwhile everyone else is still hopping up and down for their meals).

He's even doing this thing where he wants it wet, then he wants it dry, then he wants with canned, without...I read that article in the WDJ about just kind of doing what they want. I do think he read it too.

That's a good idea-the Yahoo group.

Thanks-I get very nervous-like why isn't he eating? And start with infected teeth and work my way into his stomach tacking coming undone and beyond. Then I bring him a little McDonald's and he's jumping like he's on a trampoline.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Crowned Member

Has he always been excited about food or a picky eater? Chama will pick stuff out and throw the rest on the floor sometimes. I used to yell at her to cut it out but now she can't hear me anyway so I just throw a towel down. Rafi cleans it up later anyway.

Is anything else different? Maybe he's just become picky with all of the pampering. Cleo is like that. She makes me feed her in different places and she tells me where by leading me there. If I put it down somewhere else she refuses to eat!

Was it his liver that was a problem before? What is going on there?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, back in the day when it was only Kramer, he would eat half his meal, straight down the middle of the bowl, and then pick at it for the rest of the day until supper. Then supper the same and eat through the night. Obviously, that half would be hoovered down by any of his subjects here!

He also (time to confess) got a fair amount of whatever I was eating.

He also tends to like to control things-or get me to do his bidding is more like it. So he waits-and I stupidly comply with him-put a little sauce on. Then he eats a little-and gets some parmesan cheese. So I have contributed to this problem greatly.

His liver (what's left of it!) levels were good last time-only about 100 points away from normal.

I think the pampering could have something to do with it. He was eating a LOT after his surgery and I think he may have leveled off a bit. He's gained back the weight he needed to, so maybe he's self regulating and I'm trying to make him eat too much. I started measuring out his daily allotment so that I could see what he was getting.

Today when I knocked a whole plate of cheese and crackers I had just made for myself off the desk he did pretty well at inhaling that! Before I could even get to it he had hoovered up all the cheese and was working on the crackers.

Eat, Kramer, eat...no one likes a skinny Kramer! (from Rudolph I think)

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:Those booklets were two things I looked at. $250 for a consultation is a bit too much for me.
Monica's booklets are great, I have a lot of them but I can't get to mine right now because they are all packed up for our move...who knows what box the are in In her cooked diet booklet she offers balanced recipes for different weights, so if none of them fit Kramers weight I am pretty sure that she would adjust the recipe to match his weight but I don't know how much she charges for it.

If there are diet considerations due to health issues (like his liver) I would recommend her new book which also has recipes in it. http://www.monicasegal.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=101

I would join her group K9 Kitchen that way you can ask questions once you start him on home cooked. http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Kitchen/

Michaela

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Pick a box, any box!

This is great information. I am really glad I asked. He didn't want breakfast, even with Brauts n Tots in it-and he used to love that, so after my meeting I hit the grocery store. He just had some yams for lunch and at them all up. Plain old cooked yams. Not exactly a balanced start, but he enjoyed them.

I got a big fat pork tenderloin and had them grind it up for me. I am making that (4#) with the yams, some carrots (not many) and green beans.

I know it's not balanced but I want to do is to make sure he is not having any eating issues before Friday-he goes to the vet for his Adequan shot then and I want to be able to have him checked out if there is just total food refusal. I figure this will be a good test drive because he's never really had pork before.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sure you own it and have already memorized it, but I really like Dr. Pitcairn's book as well. Ok, so I don't feed grains. (Get into the 2000s Dr. Pitcairn!). But his nutritional info is really helpful as well.

I was feeding my senior half home-cooked (meat and veggies) and half premium kibble. She loved that. A 100% home-cooked diet was too rich. But as she's aged (gracefully, I might add), I've had to phase out more and more of the home-cooked due to her stools getting softer over time. BUT she is just thrilled with boiled meat and some of the broth in her kibble. I usually use boiled ground turkey. She hates when the mixture sits around too long though! Kibble should be crunchy!

Sure, she'll eat cheese and crackers, steak, pizza (ooh! we love pizza), and all the other stuff I let her get away with. What? did she just eat 1/4th of a Chips Ahoy? But she's willing to eat high protein kibble (high protein = more meaty flavor?) with just a tablespoon or two of meat.

Oh, but the meat MUST be heated so that it's warmed, and then stirred in, so that the kibble is well coated with meat and juice.

So, Jean, what the heck am I saying? Try the homecooked if you want. (I like stews and still make them for Camper). Or maybe you just need to spice up his kibble with the RIGHT stuff. Warming food makes a huge difference.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The kibble should be crunchy!!!

This is good-I may just do that-add a little meat and juice.

Last night he had 2/3 pork/yam/carrot/bean mix and 1/3 kibble and wanted more. I didn't give him more but it was good to see that.

I feel more hopeful now-he was making me nervous (who? me? worry?) and I wanted to be able to talk this over with his vet on Friday. Nina though is very pleased this is happening-she gets a little of whatever he gets.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Knighted Member

I do a homecooked diet for my kidney failure foster dog...the K9 Kidney group is great....I have a "prescription" diet from the vet about the exact amounts but I tweaked it some due to needing to lower his phosphorus, so I took out the egg and substituted egg whites...same protein much less phosphorus and after 1 month his phophorus levels are back to normal.....I would have never known how to do that without the research, files, and spreadsheets listed on the K9 Kidney Yahoo board.

He was a very picky eater, but that was because he wasn't feeling good...its like he knew not to eat the stuff that wasn't good for him, LOL. He loves the new homecooked diet.

So what I'm saying is, try the homecooked. You have such an awesome vet, talk to them about what diet they recommend for his liver issues and go from there. I know you, you will have bloodwork done so you can monitor if you have it balanced.

I would be careful about the pork products....after having a foster with pancreatitis my vet pretty much freaked me out about the fat content in pork and why lots of dogs have problems with too much pork. Just an fyi from one neurotic pet owner to another!

Sinclair
Director
Noble Shepherd Rescue

Ava:6 yr-GSD
Charly: 6 1/2 yr-GSD rescue
Apollo: 4 yr old foster: BLOG:

Raven: 1997-2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page