Advice on best arthritis med??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Advice on best arthritis med???

My sister in law is in desperate search for the best pain med for arthritis for her 10 yr. old dog. Help anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Advice on best arthritis med???

I think everyone has their favorites.

I use Synovi G3 on mine. I also give hyaluronic acid and then my oldest gets Adequan shots. http://www.caberfeidh.com/Adequan.htm and http://www.adequancanine.us/

I know others use things like GlycoFlex, Cosequin, Dasquin and other things as well.

I did a spreadsheet so I could view ingredients side by side for the different products I was looking at.

Things like glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, perna sea mussel...I know there are other things that people look for.

Also, I try to use products with guaranteed analysis. Some human (and dog) products do not offer this.

Oh-for actual pain, I use tramadol. But I try to prevent needing it as much as possible. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_tramadol.html

Good luck to your sister's dog!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you soooo much! your input has been forwarded to her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Knighted Member

yeah, something like tramadol or rymadil for actual serious pain. there can be negative effects from these over time, but better for a dog to be comfortable than suffering. if its minor arhtritis, then some of the supplements that jean mentioned are pretty popular. however, they may or may not have any effect at all. from the research ive done, cosequin ds is the glucosamine/chondroitin formula that i would trust the most as far as guaranteed analysis of ingredients.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Master Member

My vet likes Glycoflex III the best but my dog seems to respond best to Cosequin DS. I just ordered Desequin. I want to see what that is like. My friends dog does well on Synovi 3.

I agree that it is wise to look for garanteed anaylsis.

Is she feeding a high quality kibble?

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: frenchMy sister in law is in desperate search for the best pain med for arthritis for her 10 yr. old dog. Help anyone???
The three senior Hooligans take Tramadol for pain and Dasuquin for the joints. Adequan injections are also helpful when dealing with joint pain.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Crowned Member

Avoid at all costs getting the cheapie human joint supplements from Walmart etc. It's mainly filler, and most importantly-- the molecular weight is not absorbable by the dog, so most of the medicine doesn't get absorbed. Plus, most of the pill itsef for people for the cheaper stuff especially is all filler-- REALLY makes your dog itch like crazy.

I like Cosequin, and Drs FosterSmith has the equivilent, at the correct molecular weight, cheaper.

Never panic if the vet suggests Rimadyl. We now have Metacam, Deramaxx, and others to try first... but in reality, provided the liver and kidney profiles are good, none of these is truly worse than the other.. it is all about what your dog tolerates. And sometimes, it gets to the point that quality of life means finding exactly whichever one helps with the pain.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Elite Member

There is also a lot of good information for seniors in this thread:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post541294

I found a significant difference in my senior's arthritis when I switched him to a grain free kibble (along with the other health regiments we have going on for him)

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Arycrest
Quote:
Originally Posted By: frenchMy sister in law is in desperate search for the best pain med for arthritis for her 10 yr. old dog. Help anyone???
The three senior Hooligans take Tramadol for pain and Dasuquin for the joints. Adequan injections are also helpful when dealing with joint pain.
I was half watch an I LOVE LUCY marathon when I wrote this and completely forgot to mention that the elderly Hooligans also take Metacam for pain and inflamation.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

A grain-free diet is a great place to start.

Avoid foods like potato that have inflammatory properties. (I love this website -- http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20ig.html. You can search on all sorts of food. And right in the middle of the top of the page -- the "inflammation factor." Some foods, like potato, cause inflammation.

Some (sweet potato, garlic in tiny doses, olive oil, many kinds of fish) are strongly anti-inflammatory and can be easily added to a dog's diet

The supplements mentioned above are great. I use the human brand of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM called "Move Free" on my senior. She has finally reached the point of needing rimadyl and tramadol as well. I've found that we can give lower doses of each (minimizing the side effects) and they're more effective together than either would be at a higher dose alone. Often vets don't think incredibly creatively, so it's helpful to ask them "what else will work? What about combining drugs at lower doses?"

The one thing that has been the single-most effective treatment for this senior, as well as another senior that I had with arthritis and hip displasia, is water therapy. My other senior could barely walk when we started. After a few months, she was trotting around without even a limp (although she did remain on rimadyl and supplements). Water therapy can work wonders.

If your SIL can find (and afford) that, I would start there (and with supplements). Yes, even before I tried Rx meds.

Good luck to all of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page