Chiropractic safety and spondylosis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Chiropractic safety and spondylosis

I am going to watch that Webinar on Pain Management next week (I hope) and am wondering if they will address this.

Anyway, Kramer is fused way up the spine (about 2/3 I would guess), but yesterday the vet pulled his tail up and he seemed a little looser after that (plus he got his Adequan shot) and I was wondering-if chiropractic would be safe for him. Nina, too-hers is less but she has arthritis in the hip and knee. I know my own chiro is very careful with certain things and will refuse some conditions...but I have no idea if this is something that another chiro would do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Chiropractic safety and spondylosis

Am interested in this. Since WDJ wrote up chiropractic care this month, I'm thinking Zamboni might benefit from it. I have the name of someone who is supposed to be "The Best..." But still, I worry...
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Crowned Member

i have been apprehensive on chiro for some issues. although i think it makes a huge difference on who you take them to for the adjustments, preferably a vet that has a degree in chiro, and not a certificate on a few weekend seminars. because spondylosis also involves hidden issues like nerves, etc. you really don't know the extent of the problem. so, yes, sometimes chiro can definitely help, somtimes with disc issues it can make things worse. so, its a crap shoot like anything else at this stage of the game. the only way you'd know for sure how and what to treat, you would have to have a mylagram to see what everything is doing first. any who is going to put a senior through that. i think acupuncture is very effective on spondulosis or any spinal problem that involves impingements from fusing because it opens up the pathways.

you don't know till ya try, and with the seniors the alterntives are the best resources we have,.

debbie

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Crowned Member

I definitely agree on going to someone (vet or chiro) that has gone through the AVCA training, and not the weekend seminar types. I want someone that knows what they are doing, and that's what the AVCA training does -- it's very extensive.

I was terrified when I first took Indy about 7 years ago. But I had run out of options for her. And it has been a consistent life saver. I was fortunate because it was a vet that knew Indy well, and knew the chiro, and knew that they would be a good mix. I trust our K9 chiro completely. I know that whatever the situation, she would use the right judgement on how to treat, or whether to treat at all. I wish there was some guarantee that they all were like that.

My 83 y.o. mom has severe spondylosis and the chiro helps her tremendously. If the spine is impinging on a nerve, there's really not much, outside of chiropractic care, that can help relieve that (including most drugs). Most importantly, for Mom, is that it helps prevent things from getting worse.

There are several reasons to see a chiro. One is the obvious "out of adjustment" and to realign the vertebrae. However, they also mobilize the joints by gentle manipulation; this is big for Max, who is often not "out", but his spine gets jammed up and doesn't move. Another important reason to see a chiro is that although sometimes they can't "fix" anything, they can help maintain whatever mobility is left so that things don't get worse. When joints stop moving, they start calcifying and further fusion (and thus nerve damage) takes place. "In theory", regular chiro care can help prevent this from happening.

As with anything, as debbie knows from experience, even the best intentions can go wrong. I've never had it happen with my dogs, but it is always a possibility when *anyone* works on your dog.

post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

i do agree with Lisa, in that if the spine is out of line, an adjustment can help the spinal area run smoother and function better.
as long as its done properly.

debbie

url
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Elite Member

Chiropractic will help both human and animal both. Have been using it on my animals for the last 7 years and on myself for the last 5 years. Besides getting a shepherd it was the next best decision in my life !

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What about acupuncture instead? Same benefits?

I look at that spinal x-ray and get the willies...

post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Crowned Member

No, not the same benefits. Sometimes you can one or the other, but the chiro will help prevent or slow increased degradation or fusion much more efficiently.

Max gets both and they work well together. He gets adjusted more frequently than needled. Indy gets the chiro only, but I do her bodywork at home -- she can't tolerate needles.

post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

MONTHS later...

I found a vet (that Kramer's vet told me about) that does both acupuncture and chiropractic and is on both websites as being certified. I think. It's about 40 minutes away, so I am thinking I could only take Kramer, and Nina would have to go another time because both don't really fit well in the back seat together and that's a long ride for one to ride in the front. (the other dogs can fit-but these two can't bend and flex like the others)

I am still really concerned about "breaking" him. I saw that Zamboni was snap crackle and popped-very neat! I am going to ask the vet about this tomorrow at Kramer's adequan appt. If I do go, maybe I'll take his x-rays with him so I feel better. And I feel like if I am not comfortable with the chiro adjustment I can just skip to acupuncture.

I've noticed Kramer's gotten kind of stuck in a stand as his front legs moved forward (well, I guess he moved them forward) and his hind legs kind of didn't move as far, and he looked like a Morgan Horse in a "stacked" position. Which would be great if he were a Morgan Horse...but he's not.

So I'd like to make sure his front legs work well and try to get everything a little looser and better for him.

post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Talked to his vet today and then called a couple of places for acupuncture only. One was definitely less money (by like half), the vet is certified and it's more of a country practice, which is better for Kramer-he gets so nervous, so a low key, not as vet smelly place could help. And they said we try it for 3-5 and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Treatments were spaced out a little more, too-not weekly (I think every other?), which helps with gas/time.

I figure if we can just maintain what we have and get a little improvement in terms of being looser, I'd be happy. So we go next Tuesday at 2 with his x-rays and they are faxing his records from the last two years (I thought-how many pages are there in a 15 yo dog's records-it would be like sending them John McCain's )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page