Mas's senior ailments - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Mas's senior ailments

I have noticed something with Mas which has me concerned. Maybe someone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction. I will try to explain this the best I can:

On occasion, but more commonly today, Mas will go into an abrupt sit like position, it is like he is dropping his back end to the ground. It is not the usual sit position where his butt is barley touching the ground, itís almost like a scooting thing, only he does not scoot. He seems to have difficulty initially getting up, but he does. I do help him get up and he does it fairly quickly, I have also watched to see if can get up on his own and he does and then carries on walking. He has arthritis and has had muscle deterioration of his back legs, which we have build back up over the last 18 months.

Here is a picture similar to the the position I am referring to:

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Mas's senior ailments

Poor Mas! This happens to Chama too except that all 4 of her legs go out from under her and she just splats on the floor. What you're seeing with Mas is very common for dogs with DM and weakness in the hind end.

Do you have one of those special harnesses for him with the suitcase type handle? That would be worth getting. Chama wears a really nice regular harness with a suitcase handle and I use it to help her up and down hills and stairs when necessary. I also use it for picking her up when she splats on the ice too.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Crowned Member

there is probably more going on than just arthritis. i think we all can relate to something like this with our seniors. nerves get compressed in areas and can cause weird things like splayed legs standing, weird sitting positions, etc. spondylosis. cauda equine, disc problems all of those can cause weird placement of sitting, standing, etc.
has your guy been diagnosed with any of these? or is it just arthritic hip issues? does he get Adaquin? joint supplements, etc?
how old is he?

debbie

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Ruth, I really appreciate your reply. I forgot to add earlier that sometimes when I lift Masís tail he goes down fast. So something is connected there with his backend issues. I need to make an appointment this week for a cartrofen injection so I will have the vet check it out further. I am really petrified of Mas having DM or any other disease for that matter. I canít stand this old age business, he has been considered a senior for almost 2 years now and I still canít get used to it

I did buy a harness for Mas back in January after reading one of Jeanís posts. I searched for one like on handicapped pets but they were only available online, I didnít want to wait and I have a hard time fitting Mas since is chest is so deep. I have a regular harness with the handle, probably like Chamaís

Debbie, I agree, I think that is is more than the arthritis. Mas will be 11 in April. He has not been diagnosed with anything else as of yet. I was just reading up on spondylosis and will check that out with the vet. He is getting medi-cam, though I was not giving it to him regularly, I will start now. He gets Nikken Joint daily and he just finished off his Sasha's Blend. I have decided to hold off on that for now. I will go back to the gluc/chon/msm that he was getting before.

I have noticed that since I swtched him Orijen he is standing up much straighter (along with the great coat & eating much better)

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Crowned Member

I answered this post only to discover I misread it and had to delete my initial response. When I looked at the picture I was looking at him being so pretty, not at the way he was sitting.

Ringer does this sometimes, he sits with his back leg/s straight out - similar to what Mas is doing in the picturue. Usually he rights himself but not always, sometimes I have to help him stand up. I've always attributed it to his other problems he's having, disc problems, weakness in the rear, etc. It gets better for a while after he has his Bowen Therapy, but it's getting worse as time goes by.

Give Mas a hug!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Crowned Member

It is very difficult to watch all the changes as they age. Sometimes when Chama's legs go out from under her she just lies there for a second with a very confused look on her face. It's hard for me to see but she does seem to handle everything with aplomb.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ArycrestI answered this post only to discover I misread it and had to delete my initial response. When I looked at the picture I was looking at him being so pretty, not at the way he was sitting.
Mas sure is handsome, isn't he!

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowIt is very difficult to watch all the changes as they age. Sometimes when Chama's legs go out from under her she just lies there for a second with a very confused look on her face. It's hard for me to see but she does seem to handle everything with aplomb.
I know what you mean. Growing old sucks, but like I always say, it's better than the alternative. It really hurts watching them age, seeing once virile animals having problems standing or placing their legs properly, etc. Like you say, they handle it with dignity.

My old guys still misbehave by fence fighting with the dogs next door - in a way it's sad to watch them run in slow motion or kind of gimpy sometimes, but in a way I'm glad they feel good enough to do it.

Everyday Ringer likes to play with his Cuz, SQUEEK SQUEEK SQUEEK - it drives me nuts - I usually go in the house to get away from the noise. He even enjoys playing fetch. I'm a terrible ball thrower so when I throw the Cuz it never goes very far and he's able to "run" over and get it. Sometimes he likes to play keep away and I pretend I can't catch him, of course when he was younger, I couldn't catch him when we were playing.

I'm just thankful everyday that I still have them, enjoy our time together.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Arycrest Give Mas a hug!!!
Done!

Ruth & Gayle you have both settled me a bit, this is yet another senior moment I am experiencing and knew that Mas's senior pals would come through.

Gayle same thing happening here with Mas, he has been doing well with it, but it is becoming more common now. Our walks are ridiculously small, lucky for us there are several ways to walk around the block (which consists of 4-6 houses). Oh and tonight Mas did his usual "no fly zone" enforcement dance in the backyard when a bird fly by. I was happy to see it, considering there are times when he just watched them, but I see his body tensing up. And yes, I am most grateful that he is here with me.

Steph...

~Damasio♥ April 1997~

~Heinrich♥ May 1999~
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Crowned Member

You know, I look at the aging Barker Sisters and I see the young dogs, too. I remember bringing each of them home and how they reacted to the senior dog of the outfit. I remember how incredibly fast my eldest was in her youth. I remember their exhuberance and the joy they've brought me. I'll take those slow short walks. I'll drive 40 miles to ride 20 minutes. And I'll wonder what's next for us.

It's good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page