Need Advice on Senior Supplements - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Need Advice on Senior Supplements

Ok, folks, I know there are a lot of us dealing with the same problems right now with our senior dogs. I am looking at the following products and wonder what you think of them. I've provided the link (ingredient lists were too long to post) and divided them into categories. I am hoping that some combo will make my Chamie into a puppy again! I can't remember if any of you senior caretakers use Chinese herbs or not but I am a big fan. I've used them for my dogs and for myself.

Thanks for any comments you might have.

General Support:

1)Vetri-Science Canine Plus Senior

2)Only Natural Pet Super Canine Senior

Inflammation:

1.Seven Forests Liquid Ambar 15

2. Only Natural Pet Get Up and Go

Cardiovascular/Liver/Kidney/Periodontal

1.<a href="http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Vetri-Science-Coenzyme-Q10/125034.aspx" target="_blank">
Vetri-Science Co-Enzyme Q10</a>

2. NAC

3. (for liver support) Super Milk Thistle X

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Master Member

Re: Need Advice on Senior Supplements

I just received the "Longevity" powder from Springtime products. Looks to have some wonderful things in it for seniors and there's quite a lot of owner testimony re their products, much of it from folks that own senior puppers.
My late Mom's dobie Samantha is a senior senior and I am trying to keep her comfy. So far, so good.

Proudly owned by:
Blitz, German Shepherd Dog
Breda, German Shepherd Dog
Samantha, Doberman
Magnum, Shep mix, RIP 8-20-07
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lynnemd
I just received the "Longevity" powder from Springtime products. Looks to have some wonderful things in it for seniors and there's quite a lot of owner testimony re their products, much of it from folks that own senior puppers.
My late Mom's dobie Samantha is a senior senior and I am trying to keep her comfy. So far, so good.

Lynn,

I'm the Springtime Inc. cheerleader on this forum!

All of this stuff is in addition to a joint supplement. And, believe it or not, Chama can't have Longevity because if I put it in her food she throws her food all over the floor!

Don't worry though, Rafi's on Joint Health from Springtime Inc.!

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Master Member

Oh for cryin' out loud - indeed, I wouldn't have known about Springtime if it wasn't for you! Sorry Ruth - I should have read your post much closer!!

Proudly owned by:
Blitz, German Shepherd Dog
Breda, German Shepherd Dog
Samantha, Doberman
Magnum, Shep mix, RIP 8-20-07
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Just a question about the Springtime senior products since they've come up.......

I was looking at their joint formula, which includes ascorbic acid and a citrus complex. So after reading through a kibble thread that referenced acid and risk of bloat....are these two ingredients ok are should I be concerned about the bloat issue? I'm a little confused now on what acids I should be worried about and whether the citrus complex is basically citrus acid. I think they were also included in a couple other Springtime formulas.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

General Support:

1)Vetri-Science Canine Plus Senior

2)Only Natural Pet Super Canine Senior

==========&gt; Geez, these almost look like the same product. I checked about 10 of the ingredients, and they were the same amounts, and the list is similar. I wonder of Only Natural is putting their label on the Canine Plus? I've used the regular Canine Plus for Indy for years.

Inflammation:

1.Seven Forests Liquid Ambar 15

2. Only Natural Pet Get Up and Go

==========&gt; I know that Seven Forests is a good brand, but I'm not familiar at all with the ingredients. I know the ingredients in the Get Up and Go product -- typical antiinflammatory stuff, as long as the dog tolerates. I guess that goes for anything...

Cardiovascular/Liver/Kidney/Periodontal

1.<a href="http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Vetri-Science-Coenzyme-Q10/125034.aspx" target="_blank">
Vetri-Science Co-Enzyme Q10</a>

2. NAC

3. (for liver support) Super Milk Thistle X [/quote]

==========&gt; I give my dogs CoQ-10 that I get from Costco. I tried the NAC, didn't seem to do anything by itself. I'm seeing results in my girl with Acetyl L-carnitine, but that may be a heart issue, I'm not sure.

My favorite liver support forumla is made by Country Life or Biochem (same product), aptlly named, Liver Support Factors:
http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life...upport-Factors
both my dogs had decreased liver values and kidney values after I started it. Coincidence? I don't know. I give Indy a half pill every other day and Max a half pill every day. Their values are good, but I want to keep them there. A preventative dose is always much smaller than a therapeutic one.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

citric versus citrus....

Quote:
Originally Posted By: mikaK9......

I was looking at their joint formula, which includes ascorbic acid and a citrus complex. So after reading through a kibble thread that referenced acid and risk of bloat....are these two ingredients ok are should I be concerned about the bloat issue?.....
You may have taught me something very important today. I haven't verified this yet, but that particular site is typically right on.
http://www.westonaprice.org/msg/msgfree.html

<span style="color: #990000">The food ingredient "citric acid" provides us with a good example of why MSG-sensitive people with little tolerance are having difficulty staying well. Many people believe that "citric acid" comes from citrus fruits, and since most people can tolerate citrus fruits, "citric acid" should not be a problem. However, most of the "citric acid" used today is made from corn rather than from citrus fruits. The Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM) is a major producer of "citric acid."

"Citric acid" is produced by fermentation of crude sugars. When "citric acid" is produced from corn, manufacturers do not take the time or undertake the expense to remove all corn protein. During processing, the remaining protein is hydrolyzed, resulting in some processed free glutamic acid (MSG). "Citric acid" may also interacts with any protein in the food to which it is added, freeing up more glutamic acid.

A visit to the grocery store to read labels will quickly demonstrate that "citric acid" is being widely used in processed foods. Its use appears to be increasing and, as this occurs, it appears that, based on interactions with MSG-sensitive individuals, more and more MSG-sensitive people are reacting to "citric acid." Its uses in food include flavoring, balancing of acid-alkalinity levels, as a preservative, as a firming agent and as an antibacterial agent. Consumers will find no reference to the presence of free glutamic acid on the labels of foods that contain "citric acid." </span>

This would be consistent with my corn issue, and also the issues raised on DrJ's site....

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Lisa,

I noticed that same thing about those two products. But isn't it strange that they would sell BOTH products if they are buying the product from Vetri-Science? I will just get the one that is the better deal!

Chama tends to tolerate most stuff (except turkey!) without a problem. It's disguising it all so that she doesn't throw it on the floor or spit it out that's the problem!!!!

And thanks for the Liver Support factors info.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

It's just wierd that they carry both products -- I don't get it.

Hope Chama does well on whatever you choose!

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 05:49 PM

for what it's worth,,I have my 12 yr old arthritic girl who also has bad knees on:

the vetri science senior plus
meloxicalm (human form of metacam)
tramadol (pain)
vetri disc

she seems to be holding her own on this combination, and if I miss even a day, I definately see a difference.
diane

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page