I can't believe this. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I can't believe this.

Sorry folks, I'm having a meltdown right now. A class-A pity party. I was crying so hard at the vet's office I got a bloody nose.

I've lost dogs to DM, hemangiosarcoma, polymyositis, cauda equina, complete system failure caused by multi-year use of pred, possible bleedout from Deramaxx, and "old age".

The worst I personally experienced was when Niki died from osteosarcoma. It's always so hard to lose a fur kid, but I've always said I NEVER EVER want to go thru that ordeal again as long as I live. The pain could not be controlled by any medication including Duragesic patches and methadone - only amputation of the limb gave him relief.

Kelly's been limping from what I assumed was arthritis (he's been taking Tramadol for problems with arthritis and spondylosis). I took him to the vet today and they took a boat load of x-rays and his doctor is almost 100% sure he has osteosarcoma (it doesn't appear to have spread to his lungs yet). The radiologist will review the x-rays tomorrow, the surgeon will look at them Monday, and he's scheduled for the biopsy Tuesday.

He celebrated his 12th birthday Saturday. He's weakish in the rear and has an elevated ALT problem. Something is causing him to have eye goobers, and is making him chew very gingerly (he had a tooth pulled and complete dental within the past few months). The amoxicillin he's taking for the eye goober/chewing problem has dropped his ALT values to the mid-200's which is still high but not nearly as bad as what it's been before the antibiotic. He's in remission from SIBO.

There's some type of radiation therapy given by a vet group down in Tampa that may help reduce the pain from the osteosarcoma. I haven't done any research yet so can't comment on this option.

IMHO amputation is out of the question given his over all health problems. I know that the pain from osteosarcoma is impossible to control. The radiation may/may not be a short-term solution for keeping him comfortable.

Right now I'm leaning toward allowing him to make the trip to the Bridge when I can no longer offer him a quality life - when the pain can no longer be controlled. I don't know how long this will be. His vet increased his Tramadol from 2 a day to 4-1/2 a day and she's having me add Metacam.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Crowned Member

Re: I can't believe this.

Gayle,

I am SO sorry to hear this. There are some supplements you can give that might help. I will look them up in a bit but I just wanted to say that I am really, really sorry. Every time something new crops up with Chama I worry that it is cancer because that is how I lost my two gsds. Anyway, sending a really big hug your way!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

((K(9(hugs))) to you and prayers for the decisions you have to make...I have that coming in the future with a nearly14 yr old.(not GSD) and it is not easy((

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

Oh Gayle,

I am so so sorry. Huge ((Hugs)).
You have been through so much already. Prayers for you and Kelly.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Aw crap. How did you know to do x-rays-you are so good, on top of things-I am always amazed.

If you want us to do any research and post links, just ask. Right now just know that all his senior pals are pulling for him.

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Oh man, I'm sorry Gayle. Cassidy had some serious pain with her discospondylitis, she would scream getting up off the floor, and once we got a diagnosis though MRI and I did some research, the pain involved was described on one site as "exquisite". Metacam worked for her. Hopefully it will help Kelly too.

Lots of people cite the side affects of NSAIDs and say they'd never use them, (and the side effects are considerable, up to and including death), but my philosophy is that in extreme circumstances you use what works. With Cassidy her pain was foremost, a constant here today and every day, and if we couldn't control it, euthanasia was the only option, so we had to weigh that against the potential health risks of the only thing that controlled her pain.

Love him, keep him comfortable, and treasure the time you have with him. And definitely research holistic treatments and supplements, they may help too.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

That reminds me: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/pain/about.htm

They do consultations.

post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

sorry your dog isn't doing well. i'm sure you've taken the best care of him. you also have to take care of yourself so you can take care of your friend and make the best decisions. i have a 7 month old boy on Dermaxx. what is bleed out??? give your friend a pet for me. there for you.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Crowned Member

Im really sorry youre going through this and Kelly has these problems.

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 03:46 AM
Crowned Member

What a rough decission! My eldest is getting up there and the younger dog is just three years younger. I'll be facing some of these issues soon but right now chiropratic treatments help wonderfully. I think accupuncture does too when we can get it. I see chiro visits becoming a bi-weekly thing. These issues are gut wrenching - and the worst is trying to figure out what's best when. What I like to remember is that it IS worth the self-doubt as well as the emotional pain. The benefits of living with dogs outweighs the sorrow & pain that's a part of that package. They take a big chunk of you but even so for me it's hardly anything compared to what they give back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page