Kelly's liver biopsy report - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kelly's liver biopsy report

First the good news, he DOESN'T have cancer which is a big relief.

But, he definitely has a problem though they don't feel it's life threatening. I'm gong to copy the DIAGNOSIS and COMMENTS parts of the report. I may have made typos since there are so many technical words I wouldn't recognize as being right/wrong!

"DIAGNOSIS: Liver biopsies: Cytoplasmic swelling and vacuolar change in hepatocytes, diffuse, moderate to marked, with multifocal overt vacuolar degeneration, and multiple small lipogranulomes comprised by hemosiderin laden macrophages/Kupffer cells. Inflamination is not a prominent feature. Hepatocytes are swollen so that sinusoids are collapsed. They have fine to medium granular eosinophilic foamy cytoplasm with multifocal overt vacuolar degeneration. Fibrosis is not a feature.

COMMENT: The most common cause of vacuolar degeneration of canine hepatocytes is hypercortisolism, either endogenous or exogenous. Alkaline phosphate is usually markedly elevated in that case. Some other drugs (for example, Rimadyl, phenobarbital) and some environmental hepatic toxins cause a similar but often less dramatic change."

He's having a test for Cushings Disease Monday - BUT his bloodwork does not give any indications of a problem with his adrenal glands.

I'm going to have to check out what alkaline phosphate can include and then try to remember if he's had any contact with them - the vet said exposure to toxins is a real possibility. He may have had Rimadyl after he had the bloat surgery in September 2005, but I don't know if he had enough to do serious liver damage. He's never had phenobarbital. I'll also have to check out the environmental hepatic toxins.

He's currently taking: Ursodiol, Denamarin and just finished a course of Tetracycline. He's had some Tramado AFTER the biopsy. He didn't start taking the Ursodiol and Denamarin until he flunked his recent bloodwork with high ALT values. He's been off and on Tetracycline for about 19 months.

I haven't had any insect spray in the house in over 7 years. I get my yard sprayed maybe once a year or longer for ticks and fleas with malathion and an IGR. The last time I had it sprayed was probably in the Spring of 2006.

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Kelly's liver biopsy report

Though I have no idea what the rest of it means!

My vet said they had a dog from there that was biopsied and the bloodwork was not showing anything Cushing's like but the biopsy results did. He DID have Cushing's but it was good because it was like they caught it really early. I think that's how it went-we talk all this liver stuff and I try to keep it straight! SO, good luck with the Cushing's test!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I didn't talk to my regular vet since she's on vacation, but that's what the vet on duty said yesterday - that it could be Cushings Disease and if it is, it was caught early before it affected bloodwork results. She said that would be good!!!

I know, when I was typing the report, it was like a foreign language to me.

I guess it's good that my old guys get physicals every six months, to pick up stuff like this. It's upsetting, but I'm sure I'd be more upset if Kel got super sick with some liver problem.

At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

I don't remember if you are a kibble or a raw feeder, but after finding out what is really wrong with your dog, I would suggest switching to a liver friendly home prepared diet. It can really help the liver along with whatever treatment your vet suggests.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the suggestion Elaine, I never thought about his liver being affected by his diet.

With Kelly, I'm between the devil and the deep. Kelly has SIBO and has been eating Eukanuba Low Residue for the past 19 months or so. I may be lucky and be able to wean him onto another diet. He's been on a program to help him gain weight. He started off with a McD's double cheeseburger without the bun for lunch and did pretty good on it until he was diagnosed with a gall bladder problem. Now he has 1/2 cup of yogurt or cottage cheese for lunch and so far, no problems.

I'll definitely talk to his vet once we know what's going on with him and see if we can come up with a diet that can tightrope between the liver and SIBO problems.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

If the prescription diets are working for you, great, don't change anything, but when you start to have more than one medical problem, they are kind of limiting in scope. Home prepared diets are much more flexible and can help in situations like yours, but can be time consuming and a pain in the butt. If you are considering it, I would highly suggest you pay for a consult with Monica who will work closely with you, your vet, and your dog, to get the best results possible. She is well worth the money.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Arycrest Thanks for the suggestion Elaine, I never thought about his liver being affected by his diet.
IME, EVERYTHING is affected by diet. If it were my dog, I'd go underground (meaning not tell the vet unless they're gonna be supportive) and feed raw, carefully. All these issues you're mentioning are essentially auto-immune problems (esp.Cushing's) and can be all but eliminated with the proper diet. I wouldn't feed any dog with problems any grain whatsoever. It's the liver that gets the great job of trying to detox the body...and you don't want to know what's in dog food. I would get that dog off Eukanuba immediately, and try raw. If you're scared, cook it for a while. Whatever you choose, grain-laden commercial dog food is NOT helping this poor dog.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

I never go "underground" with my vet, I sometimes do things she might not agree with, but she always knows about it. I want her to have all the pieces of the puzzle when dealing with any of the Hooligan's problems, IMHO, it's in their best interest to have all the cards on the table.

I fed a frozen, complete raw diet around 2002 & 03 (my vet didn't have any problem with it). It was costing me over $500 a month and I stopped feeding it because of the cost after JR and Too went to the Bridge. I'm too ignorant to feed them a raw diet because I don't feel qualified to ensure they're receiving all the proper nutrients - that's why I fed the complete raw diet. The Hooligans loved it.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 08:21 PM
Crowned Member

Gayle, I had a dog with nearly the identical biopsy results. Everything I do is organic in my yard. I rarely use chemicals in my house, other than the occasional household bleach in laundry. My closest neighbor also gardens organically. There's almost no way my dog could have been repeatedly exposed to toxins or heavy metals in the last however many years.

We ran the cushings test on Grover not once, not twice but three times over a period of about five or so years. Her liver was what the radiologist and internist called "a classic cushings liver." The first test came back borderline/inconclusive. The second, borderline. The third about a year ago finally came back negative. Grovie had an extremely high alkaline phosphate level for the last 1/3 of her life.

The treatment for cushings is dangerous. I balked at treating her with it. We started down this path initially because she seemed to feel bad, was lethargic and something was clearly wrong. I'm not sure how, but it seemed to get better on its own.

Grover was a stray for about 6 months when she was 1-1 1/2 years old. I don't know what happened to her during that time. Perhaps this played a role? I joked that she had liver disease because she was a beer drinker (she used to love to sneak a few sips from my old bf's beers when he wasn't looking.) I joked because it kept me from crying.

The thing is, it IS possible to live with a high Alkaline phosphate level. I recall that you said that Kelly seemed to be feeling fine. I think this is one of those cases where vets want to fix what's wrong when they're not even sure what IS wrong. I spent a lot of time "discussing" (ok, arguing) with my vet what WAS wrong with Grover? And if we weren't sure, why was he suggesting that we treat her with a strong medicine just because senior dogs 'tend to' get Cushings disease?

We started down this path in 11/2001. Grovie passed away in 12/2006...her heart gave out at age 12. During that time, we evaluated very carefully every single medicine she needed -- did she need it badly enough to put extra work on her liver? (And kidneys. The two are so interrelated). Heart medicine, yes. Other medicines, no. Or perhaps yes, but at half strength. It was an excruciating balancing act.

My advice? Follow your instincts. All I had was my gut that told me that a high liver enzyme didn't mean what I was told it meant. Of course, there have been times when I have been certain that my dogs have been sicker than their blood tests have indicated. Like I tell new dog owners -- we know our dogs better than anyone else.

I wish I had really concrete advice for you. But maybe this helps in some tiny way?

Bless you and your seniors.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Crowned Member

That was a great post Lori.

Arycrest, somewhere I have the chapter from Strombeck's book on liver disease as a Word file. I don't know if you know much about Strombeck -- he's retired now, but was one of the foremost K9 GI doctors. I forgot all about it until I read the post above. If you ever want it, pm me your email address and I will try to hunt it down -- I have no idea which computer it's on (home, work or laptop!!!).....I really need to get organized.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page