Lyka says thanks to the forum! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

I have seen dogs unable to walk actually be able to walk with Adequin - great stuff.
sebrench likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Knighted Member

Sorry if this is too much off topic. After a brief (very brief) google search, I can't find very much info on Adequan use in humans. Does anyone know if there have been any human trials? Has it been shown to ineffective in people or to have side-effects?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

I’m not sure I know there is something to build your bone up but not sure what they are using.
sebrench likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 02:33 PM

Sorry, but I must have missed what Lyka's problem is. Would you please enlighten me?

Very glad to know that she is so much better. I know that's a relief to everyone.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
Sorry, but I must have missed what Lyka's problem is. Would you please enlighten me?

Very glad to know that she is so much better. I know that's a relief to everyone.
Lyka was a very poorly bred GSD, who was then churning out puppies herself for a shoddy BYB. She didn’t receive enough nutrition as a pup and has issues with her hips. She had surgery for a vaginal prolapse that was causing some urine inconsonance issues. She also has a large mammary tumor. During surgery for the prolapse, they were able to remove the tumor and spay her.

The adequan injections are for the arthritis in her hips. She had gotten to the point where I had to support her with a sling for bathroom breaks. She is now a new dog, with a new pain free lease on life.
Pawsed likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrench View Post
Sorry if this is too much off topic. After a brief (very brief) google search, I can't find very much info on Adequan use in humans. Does anyone know if there have been any human trials? Has it been shown to ineffective in people or to have side-effects?
That would be a good thing to know! I go to the surgeons office on Friday for a follow-up, I’ll definitely ask him and relay what I learn here!
sebrench likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

It was developed for race horses, then became used for horses generally, and then dogs. It was first approved in animals in the 1980s but has never been approved for use in people -- maybe there's a different biologic effect or they just couldn't get the data necessary for human drug approval, or maybe they were persuaded not to for business reasons. Who knows!

If you talk to human doctors about it, you'll probably get further using the term "PSGAG" or "polysulfated glycosaminoglycan" rather than the canine brand name.

Research tip: Try searching PubMed. Use the generic term for the drug ("polysulfated glycosaminoglycan")--with quotes. You'll get a list of the relevant research papers that are in the repository of the U.S. National Library of Medicine at NIH:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...aminoglycan%22
sebrench likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My vet is in her late 50’s, early 60’s if I had to wager. I love her though, she’s never turned down any suggestions I’ve had, as long as her research checks out. I love having a vet go outside the norm for their patients. She also isn’t super pushy with meds, and will work on a holistic approach if that’s what I’m leaning towards, and she has research saying it’s safe. She will tell me outright if I’m crazy, which is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page