Old Dog's Syndrome - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Old Dog's Syndrome

So Sasha had an episode of vestibular disease back in July 2017. It was awful - I thought she had had a stroke - she threw up and was just a mess, rapid eye movement... As I'm calling the vet I'm googling to see if there is something I should be doing. Old Dogs Syndrome came up which kind of put my mind at ease... We had gotten her to the vet, treated her for the nausea and within a few days she was mostly normal but did end up with a head tilt. Said head tilt would go away when she was chasing squirrels or if we had her out and about at a restaurant or something... This past March she seemed to have another episode. The eye movement, the stumbling. Not as severe as the first time but it seemed as though the head tilt went in the opposite direction. Vet checked her out, everything else seemed fine and again within a few days she was pretty much back to normal... But interesting thing - the head tilt is COMPLETELY gone!!!

Googling, its not common to have more than one episode (though the vet didn't think so) - but who knows. I just found it really odd that she no longer has a head tilt!

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:55 AM
Elite Member

Yes, that is interesting! My old boy had 2 episodes in the last year of his life, a couple of months apart. Both resolved within a few days, and the head tilt went away completely.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry to hear about her having the condition, this is new to me. I’ll admit when I clicked on this thread I thought it was about “old” (easy) dog vs new and difficult puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Sorry to hear about her having the condition, this is new to me. I’ll admit when I clicked on this thread I thought it was about “old” (easy) dog vs new and difficult puppy.
LOL! That part is true - the old dog is so easy... The puppy is a monster (but getting better )

Alkarah's Sedona "Sasha" 9/23/04
Alkarah's Marco Aurelio Antonino Augusto "Marco" 3/9/2019
Windy Acres Doppio Espresso "Wolfgang" My sweet baby boy, gone too soon. 12/7/07 - 9/15/18
Sir Alexander So Noble "Alex" 12/12/91 - 4/2/04 RIP
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Our 16.5 year old mixed breed boy - well, technically he's our son's, but we've been dog sitting him for about 11 years because our son couldn't fly him back home after a visit because the dog had been traumatized on the flight out to us - had his first episode about a year ago and like you we thought the worst, rushed him to the vet, and were relieved when the vet explained what it was and that it should get better over the next few days (it did).

He hasn't so much had other episodes since, as fairly consistently exhibit a few abnormal behaviors. For example he will often walk in tight circles (always to the right) for several minutes before lying down. He will also typically lose his balance when shaking off water or just tension, which isn't so much a behavior as a consistent effect of the condition.

Last edited by michaelr; 05-10-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page