Good news and some worry - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Good news and some worry

First I wanted to update you guys that my old dog is definitely having some lasting improvement after her chiropractor visit and continuing Adequan injections. I am really not seeing that hitch in the hind end anymore and she has had fewer balance problems too. I know it isn't going to make her young again and she will continue to deteriorate with age, but I am super happy that I do feel like we were able to help her out a little. Yesterday she joined us happily on a 2 mile walk and is still feeling good after.

I also bought her a steppy for the couch because although she CAN still jump up on it, she was failing sometimes and it was just too sad. So now she has a little steppy that is at her spot and she can walk right up on to the couch no problem. She loves it.

Now for my paranoia. I know yet another dog getting euthanized today for hemangio. Dog was perfectly fine until two days ago.

We are supposed to go on vacation early spring. I will leave my old dog for 5 days, including a flight. I've never left her this long in our whole lives together. I'm terrified she could die while I am gone. It's mine and my husband's 10 yr anniversary and we are trying to just take a little time together.

I'm definitely bringing her in for a senior blood panel and I'm not sure what else before I buy plane tickets. Unless I shave her down and ultrasound her the week before we leave I guess there is just no way to be sure. She will be staying at home with a girl she knows well who will take good care of her.

Am I looney paranoid? Knowing my friend is 30 mins away euthanizing their dog right now, who 5 days ago everyone thought was perfectly find...scares the crap out of me. I might seriously ultrasound her right before we go. I can't imagine not being able to get back here in time if she took a turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

I totally understand your fears. I'm going to offer some friendly advice. Step back, breathe and don't look for problems that aren't there. Buy your plane tickets. If you feel the need, pay more and get refundable tickets just in case. Make your anniversary plans. Be happy today. Enjoy and love your dog. She isn't ill today. No one ever knows what tomorrow will bring. Live....

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Good news that the hitch is gone. Love the steps idea! I used them for years for my teacup poodle.

Seems you're really concerned about something going wrong with her while you are gone. Maybe go somewhere she can go too, no worry for you and no stress for her?
"It's not where you go but who you're with that makes the best memories." By Avwp

You could be radical like me and totally stop leaving the country and buy an rv so you don't have to leave them ever again! I don't see Paris or Ecuador but I'm so much more happy on our Adventures when i know my furbabies are with me.
Springbrz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

I’m glad your girl is doing well. It would be up to you. Sadly anything can happen when we are a way. My friends older dog bloated and died while away. Also all can be great when going away. I would imagine the sonogram only to be insightful. I know stress brings out stuff out so it’s good she will be at home and you have a friend to stay. Can she be given something natural to mildly relax her. Like turkey with the tryptophan to help ease any stress or something like.
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Knighted Member

It's good to hear the chiropractor helped, and the steppy is a great idea. Refundable tickets are a great idea but make your plans and go. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow, all we can do is plan, hope, and live our lives. Have fun!

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating: there's a Native American story about Rabbit and his Fear Calling (you can find it easily by Googling "Rabbit the Fear Caller"). He screams out at Eagle, Snake, and other predators that he's afraid of them, and to leave him alone -- the things he fears hear him and come eat him. I re-read that story sometimes to remind myself not to let myself become Rabbit the Fear Caller with my older dogs.
Thecowboysgirl and dogfaeries like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbrz View Post
I totally understand your fears. I'm going to offer some friendly advice. Step back, breathe and don't look for problems that aren't there. Buy your plane tickets. If you feel the need, pay more and get refundable tickets just in case. Make your anniversary plans. Be happy today. Enjoy and love your dog. She isn't ill today. No one ever knows what tomorrow will bring. Live....
You are totally right. I can't stop my life because my dog is old. and there is no sign of anything urgently wrong with her, just me being paranoid. I will do my best to chill out
tc68 and Springbrz like this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Iím glad your girl is doing well. It would be up to you. Sadly anything can happen when we are a way. My friends older dog bloated and died while away. Also all can be great when going away. I would imagine the sonogram only to be insightful. I know stress brings out stuff out so itís good she will be at home and you have a friend to stay. Can she be given something natural to mildly relax her. Like turkey with the tryptophan to help ease any stress or something like.
Well the good news is I really wouldn't say it stresses her out when i leave her. She has stayed with this girl before. She pines by the door for awhile and then she stops. I mean really she is just waiting by the door for me to come back because that's what usually happens but she is laying there sleeping. She doesn't freak out and look for me or anything. She eats fine while I am gone, she acts fine. I think the person who needs stress meds is me LOL
GatorBytes likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne2u View Post
Good news that the hitch is gone. Love the steps idea! I used them for years for my teacup poodle.

Seems you're really concerned about something going wrong with her while you are gone. Maybe go somewhere she can go too, no worry for you and no stress for her?
"It's not where you go but who you're with that makes the best memories." By Avwp

You could be radical like me and totally stop leaving the country and buy an rv so you don't have to leave them ever again! I don't see Paris or Ecuador but I'm so much more happy on our Adventures when i know my furbabies are with me.
Well...we have an RV, and I rarely leave them and if I do it's a day or two. But we want to go back to the place where we had our honeymoon...which was only a day and a half ten years ago!!! And try to have a few days this time. LONG 3 day drive...BLEH not doing it. She can't fly anymore, she is too old for that.

So that's why we've decided to fly back there and leave the dogs
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I've posted this before, but it's worth repeating: there's a Native American story about Rabbit and his Fear Calling (you can find it easily by Googling "Rabbit the Fear Caller"). He screams out at Eagle, Snake, and other predators that he's afraid of them, and to leave him alone -- the things he fears hear him and come eat him. I re-read that story sometimes to remind myself not to let myself become Rabbit the Fear Caller with my older dogs.
I get it. Point taken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page