Stiffness in back legs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Stiffness in back legs

Help Needed. Our German Shepherd Dog has just turned 12. Over the past couple of months he has become very clingy. Took him to the vet and he had a temperature so the vet prescribed a course of antibiotics. A few weeks later the same happened again, the vet gave him a thorough examination and said he has some stiffness in his back legs and has put him on Metacam. This seems to be helping him with his pain. But on several occasions the dose does not seem to be working. He's on the correct amount for his weight, 45k. Has anybody else experienced this and found a better way to help with their pets pain? I don't know what else to do for him and want to the best for our beloved pet. All advice shall be gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:52 AM

He's getting old. It sucks i know...

Cosequin maybe

cbd oil maybe
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 02:07 PM

I've used many supplements for stiffness and joint problems. For pain relief as well as some lubrication, Lubrysin worked

well for a while. It's hyaluronic acid (HA) similar to what people and horses get. I've also used Glycoflex 3 and had good results. Once they reach a certain age a product may help for awhile and then you need to try something else.

I had tremendous results with Adequan injections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

An intestinal infection or back problems will cause them to arch their backs and walk stiff legged. Did your vet run a cbc? You said he had a fever so that would imply an infection.

Arthritis pain will vary with the weather. we had to increase and decrease the metacam for our senior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page