Best Beds for Seniors - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Best Beds for Seniors

I'm considering buying a better bed for my discerning sorta-senior. She's spent her whole life following me around and plunking down next to me, from hotel beds to gravel roads.

When we're at home, she has access to the couch and prefers to sleep there. Over the winter she takes up permanent residence on the sheepskin rug in front of the woodstove.

The problem is, she spends a lot of time at my office, where she has a foam dog bed but usually sprawls on the ceramic tile next to my desk.

I've been considering buying a raised bed - Kuranda or equivalent - for my office. It seems great in theory... good air circulation, easy to keep clean, no pressure on the dog's joints.

I've also heard rave reviews from people who swear that washable crib mattresses are the ONLY sane choice on the market for older dog beds.

She's in good health, some arthritis and wear-and-tear but nothing bad.

Anyone have input? I need something that is super easy to keep clean. I work architecture/construction and track mud into the office constantly. Big squishy LL-Bean style things are completely out, as is anything that requires dry cleaning. Between the cats and the dirt and the dust, anything that can't be easily and throughly cleaned won't last long.

Thanks in advance for personal experiences/thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:03 PM

Carly will be 8 soon, and she loves the cot style bed, especially since I put a blanket on it. I used a crib mattress for Sage when she was so ill. It was easy for her to get on and off, and it was cushy. I think if I had the cot bed back then, she would have used that too. They both are easy to clean.

Here's Sage on the crib mattress. It was up against the wall, with a body pillow as the back, and a blanket thrown over the whole thing.

And the girls and the cot:

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:12 PM

For dirty dogs with sensitive joints, it's hard to beat a crib mattress We've tried literally DOZENS of beds, and these are our favorites for keeping indoors. They also keep their shape really well, unlike the puffy beds that flatten out after a couple of months' use. And they're pretty cost-effective, too!

Our formula is: crib mattress (memory foam, no springs) + waterproof mattress protector + crib sheet topped with a layer or two of blankets or throws. We keep a few in rotation, and it's easy to throw a clean blanket on top when company comes over. Once a week -- or whenever the beds start to look dirty or stink -- we just throw everything in the laundry. Wash, dry, and throw it back on the mattress. Easy.

For the downstairs bed (in public view), my dad made us a log frame based on one we saw online. (Yay for dads!) The base is similar to a Kuranda bed, with the log frame built around it and the mattress plunked on top.

Outdoors we use the Kurandas, and yes -- the dogs love them!

Lucky dog getting to join you at work! And lucky you... I'm envious!
Attached Images

dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 PM

Dogfaeries, wow -- a body pillow as the back of a crib mattress bed is a fantastic idea! I'll definitely be stealing that one Looks so cozy!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestFarmersDaughter View Post
Dogfaeries, wow -- a body pillow as the back of a crib mattress bed is a fantastic idea! I'll definitely be stealing that one Looks so cozy!
The body pillow turned it into a tiny couch.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

Mine like the Coolaroo cot. But half the time they are still on the floor where it is cooler. Memory foam would get to warm for them.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

After I spent hundreds of dollars on memory foam and orthopedic foam and every other dog bed. crib bed under the sun-- my boy came along and was always hot.

I got him a Kuranda with the mesh which is breathable. They both went nuts for that bed. It's like a competition to see who can get on it first and then the other one lays down by it to wait in line so when the other dog gets off they can jump on.

They are indestructible, my boy is a bed digger and he hasn't damaged it. I bought them both one for their kennels and another one for the living room. My dogs LOVE them and for the money, it's a darn inexpensive dog bed to hold up like it does.

Easy to clean. I got the old girl their fitted pad to go on hers for her kennel.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

Don't know why I have no pics of her in a kuranda...but it is both of their favorite bed, hands down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171109_214021_1512010241649.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	462258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_200011_1512010287707.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	462266   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170913_212359_1512010324028.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	462274  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:06 PM

I bought a coolaroo (cheaper) instead of the Kuranda, in case they didn’t like it. Every time I look at the bed, there’s a different dog on it, so I guess it’s a hit.

~ Diane ~

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:08 PM

Can he get any more comfortable CBG?I think I need one for myself!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page