Is incontinence normal for aging German Shepherd's. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Is incontinence normal for aging German Shepherd's.

So far I have found the most information here, so thought I would ask here : Is it a normal thing for older female German Shepherds to have issues with incontinence as they age?
We previously had my 15 yr old German Shepherd female who was a rescue. She weighed 45 lbs when we adopted her at around 7 yrs of age. She had issues with bladder incontence but some was due to having stones in her bladder. We also had her on medicine to help strengthen her bladder. Sadly she passed away a few years ago.
We have another rescued German Shepherd- this poor gal was 28 lb when she was taken by the Humane Society Officers ( my husband was the one who carried her out of that property). Currently she weighs 80 and has been with us several years. She recently has begun to have some accidents in the house on her bed. At first, it was being put on my new GSD puppy who is now 10 weeks, but the amount of the saturation is way more than a puppy bladder can hold.

So is this something that is a normal thing? How/ what treatments/remedies does anyone suggest?

Thanks.

Shelly

Last edited by Shells-pups; 11-06-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fix typo's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

Are you sure she doesn't have a UTI?

Is she drinking more than usual?

Moms
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

No. It isn't normal. My old girl lived to be 14.5. She had her senior issues, but bladder incontinence wasn't one of them.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Crowned Member

Every rescue spays or neuters them as soon as they set foot in there. In females it can cause incontinence. First I would take in an urine sample to rule out an UTI
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Crowned Member

My female Onyx was spayed at 6 months. She has had bouts of incontinence, and I finally put her on Proin which has cleared the incontinence right up. I had bloodwork run before putting her on it as well as tested for UTI. Everything came back clear, and bloodwork looked great for a 10 yr old rawfed dog.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...ects-of-proin/
It basically replaces their natural hormones, taken away by spaying.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Will have her checked again for a UTI, but thinking that she may need the Proin. Thanks everyone!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

No she is not drinking more than normal, but will have her checked again.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 02:41 PM

Hi, I know this is an older post but looking for some input on a similar question/issue.

Background: My girl Zoey will be 7 in November, she has always been in good health with no major issues. I've had her since she was a puppy and had her spayed at 6 months (in hindsight we probably should have waited a little longer). We treated her for a UTI about 2 years ago, and she has been fine since. Recently I noticed she has been having incontinence issues, seeming to "leak" while sleeping and she doesn't realize that it is happening. I haven't noticed her drinking too much extra, its been a hot and humid (by New England standards) summer, so I would expect her to intake a bit more water than normal, but it hasn't seemed in excess. I feed her Holistic Select Adult Health Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon dry dog food. She is on Heartguard, we switched her flea & tick meds from Frontline topical to an oral pill Simparica in March, we also started her on Dasuquin w/MSM in March as a preventative measure to help keep her joints healthy as she ages.

Question/the point of my post: I took her to the vet this week to have her checked for a UTI due to the constant "leaking", her urinalysis came back completely normal. They also did blood work to test her kidney and liver, everything in the test came back normal, except for the IDEXX SDMA test. Per the lab results a "normal" range would be 0 - 14 μg/dL, Zoey's test came back at 15. The vet said it's nothing to be too concerned about since she is just 1 point over, and wants to have her retested in 3 months to monitor it, but of course I'm worried/paranoid! I wanted to see has anyone had any experience with this IDEXX SDMA test, has it shown up as elevated and has your dog had kidney issues? From what I've googled, it seems to be a newer test, but I'm curious how accurate is it in diagnosing kidney disease/failure.

I started her today on incontinence medicine (Diethylstilbestrol 1mg), hopefully that clears up the incontinence issue!

Thanks!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Leaking while she is sleeping or lying down is typical of spay incontinence. Spay incontinence can develop at any age in a female, but most often when they are older.

I had a female mixed breed with spay incontinence from an early age, and it turned out that feeding her a 100% raw diet fixed it. Doesn't work for all dogs all the time, but it is an option that is out there for anyone that might be interested.
Shane'sDad likes this.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in