Dog 'Shoes' for seniors - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Dog 'Shoes' for seniors

I did a search through threads but didn't see anything very recent....

Our Rex (10 1/2 est.) most likely has degenerative lumbosacral stenosis. Is has been progressing for years and recently he has become much more unstable in his rear legs including dragging his paws. He still loves going on walks and is energetic but needs help in the house for gripping on hard surfaces (hardwood and tile) and on walks (protecting his dragging rear foot). Does anyone have suggestions of what worked well for them and their senior dog?

I was thinking something for inside and around the house, and something else more durable to help protect his dragging paw on walks.

I have come across but was wondering what you have learned worked for you from experience:

toe grips

woodrow wear - dog grip socks

ruff wear - summit trex

Sincere thanks,
Laura, Devin & Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

One of our rescue's adopters has toe grips on her senior dog and raves about them. The dog likes them -- they aren't annoying to the dog at all. They've helped this wobbly senior navigate on slick floors with ease. The adopter told me the company's customer service is excellent.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 01:09 AM
Elite Member

Applying Shoo Goo (a clear adhesive available on Amazon), where the boots scrape on the pavement, will extend the life of the boots. My dog's paws are between sizes so I hope you can try them on before you buy. Also, check the boots inside seams at the toes for any lumps in manufacture which could be irritating to Rex's paws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 AM

Hey. I use Muttlucks on Sammy when we are going for walks on rough terrain or in extreme weather conditions -when it is too cold and snowy or when the sun is really scorching. Come to think of it, never thought of how this would work say on a slipperly floor or around the house. Maybe you should try them out though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

My Shadow had DM. He wouldn't keep boots on. I bought some rubber backed carpet runners at Walmart and put them everywhere we had slippery floor and his favorite place in the Kitchen I put down an area rug.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Master Member

I also used Muttlucks for Maddie's rear paws. Dunkirk is right. Shoe Goo applied to the rubbing surfaces greatly extends the life of the boots.

Over time my wife and I worked out a more protective system as follows:

Cut moleskin into squares
Apply corn pad on top of moleskin squares
Apply corn pad/moleskin squares to top of foot
Wrap foot in sock
Secure with velcro strips
Put bootie on

This setup was for outside walking. She could do over a mile without any injury. When walking in the wet the boots may tend to slide a bit so you may need to readjust them.

For inside we would either not use anything, apply just the moleskins or put everything on except the boots.

Here are some pictures showing the process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	349857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	349865   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	349873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0709.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	349881   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	349889  

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your tips and advice. I will keep you posted on how things go (solutions that worked and the ones that didn't).

I am still intrigued by the toe grips but decided to order a set of the Woodrow Wear reinforced foot socks. Seem like they would be a good solution for around the house and outside.

I am debating the Muttluks (leather) vs. Ruffwear Summit Trex (synthetic). This would be for walking on dirt and pavement for about a mile.

We have been using cheap little nylon booties we got him when we first adopted him, but with his condition they are shredded just after a few walks (plus they never seemed to fit him right).

Thanks again!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 PM
Master Member

I have not tried any kind of boots or shoe's on my senior but she has a very hard time getting around on slippery surfaces. Most of our house is hardwood floods so I bought a bunch of cheap rugs at walmart and lowes and they work good. Lowes sells a cheap 5X8 ft rug in a bunch of different colors for around $20. The idea of the rubber boots for dogs sounds like a good idea but I think my senior is too finicky for them to work on her. I hope you find something that works for your senior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page