Sundowning/dementia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Sundowning/dementia

My senior Pasta has been having issues sleeping at night the past month or so. She sleeps most of the day then as soon as I go to bed she gets up and paces relentlessly. She has been looking confused lately but I don't think she's in pain. It seems to me she has dementia and is "sundowning." I got her a nightlight so she can see better but it hasn't helped. Also have been taking her outside for exercise right before bed and that hasn't helped either. The vet gave her a gabapentin prescription and it helps a little but not much, I give her one right before bed. Has anyone else had their seniors do this? Any suggestions for what I can do to help her would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Crowned Member

our Boxer was restless at night. She was really bad if Scott was not sitting on the couch with her.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

Hmmmm...gabapetin is usually given for nerve pain (although I am a nurse, not a vet!), so I am not sure why the vet gave this. We have had a cognitively impaired dog in the past, and currently have a 15 1/2 year old pug who has one eye, cataracts in the other which makes her vision poor, does not hear well, and definitely is cognitively impaired. With her dementia and extreme old age, she sleeps alot, and needs to be gently guided toward the door, to her food dish, etc. We have not had issues with her waking at night and wandering. Would it help your dog if you crated him at night? Please let us know how you successfully deal with this!

Last edited by maxtmill; 01-01-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I think crating her would upset her too much, she's very sensitive to changes and hasn't been in a crate in years. Maybe keeping her in the bedroom with the door closed might help though, would limit her movement like a crate but not be too much restriction. Going to try this tonight. I looked up Gabapetin and the primary use is for pain but they also use it for restless leg syndrome and anxiety disorders. sucks to get old
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Master Member

Our family dog growing up started acting like this when she was older too. We would put her in the laundry room with her dog bed at night, and it seemed to help. It is hard when they get old.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 03:56 AM
Elite Member

I like your idea about closing your bedroom door, since she is not accustomed to a crate! Let us know if it works.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

The bedroom helped last nite, she didn't make a sound until about 3:30 then started pacing. Let her have a drink then she went back to bed in about 20 mins.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Did anyone else notice that Pasta will be 16 years old next month? That is a great old age

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:09 AM
Master Member

Just a random observation and probably nothing, but you say you "let her have a drink" so I'm guessing there is no water bowl in the room at night. Maybe try leaving her access to water, even a little food all night? She could be getting extremely thirsty in the middle of the night making it harder for her to settle down when this starts. I feel for you and I know it is SO hard seeing a family member dealing with issues from old age. Human or dog. Good luck!

Addie 2/13/2011
K-Bar 5/25/2009
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

There was a thread a long time ago on the Val's GSD forum on a supplement that was showing promise. Maybe have someone help you find that thread over there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page