German Shepherds Forum banner

Kayos Has Cancer

11K views 52 replies 46 participants last post by  Stevenzachsmom 
#1 ·
Anal gland adenocarcinoma.

We found a mass on her back end when cleaning her up after a diarrhea episode on Monday so perhaps we got this early. The needle biopsy results just came back late yesterday afternoon so we have not had much time to do much other than talk about it.

We will see an oncologist and have an ultrasound done to see if the cancer is anywhere else. This is for me.

We will not treat this with anything other than palliative care. If Kayos were a year or two younger we would fight this aggressively. But she will be 12 years and 9 months on Sunday. She has HD and ED and is already having difficulty getting up and down sometimes. She would have been gone already if we had not replaced her right hip 7 years ago. She is wearing a harness to help us help her. We were already aware we would probably lose her soon. So we are not going to put an old lady through surgery and all the other stuff. It would be too hard to recover for her, if she recovered at all.

Kayos is my heart dog, I would love to fight a great fight with her and beat this but it would be to her detriment. It will be really hard to let her go.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Old german shepherd dog Dog breed

See less See more
#36 ·
Kathy, I know I posted on FB, but wanted to send you hugs here and while I know doing nothing isn't easy, it's what works for you Kayos. Zooming positive thoughts that she's sees that 13th birthday on January 20!!!

#37 ·
This is what I posted on facebook last night. Our time with this sweet dog is coming to a close. Even the oncologist said she was such a love. She is.

---------------------------------------------------------

Cancer stinks.
Kayos and I just got home from seeing the oncologist in Tulsa. She had an ultrasound and X-rays to determine if her cancer had spread.
It has. It is very aggressive. She may have 2 months.
...In consult with the Doctor our decision to not treat was affirmed. To treat this would require excision of the primary mass as well as the affected lymph nodes. Then would require chemotherapy. In a dog that is already starting to have some quality of life concerns, this would be fruitless and cruel.
We love Kayos and if we could turn the clock back we would. Her days are short and we love her enough to let her go when she is ready.

#38 · (Edited)
I am so sorry for what you are going through with your sweet girl
It's hard to imagine loosing something that has been such a big part of your life for so many years. I have yet to have my heart dog and for yours to be in this condition has got to be heartbreaking as it is when any of them have to go. You have given her nothing but love and a great life and you are now giving her a respectful and selfless end. I hope you get many more days and laughter with her before you have to say goodbye. Live moment by moment, you and Kayos are on my heart

#41 ·
I'm sorry to see this. Losing a lot of dogs to cancer this year it seems. Sending prayers.

#43 ·
I'm really sad to hear about your girl. Having just lost my heart dog two months ago, I know how this feels. I hope you have a lot more time with her.

#44 ·
I am so very sorry to hear this. I've lost two to hemangiosarcoma in the past 21 months. Sending you lots of hugs.

#45 ·
I'm so sorry - just lost my Raven in May - it sucks, but you are doing what's best for HER. Hugs!

#46 ·
May Kayos and her family find the next few months full of good memories that make her final transition less painful. My heart goes out to you.

#47 ·
Thanks everyone. So far she is doing well. Hope it continues for a while yet.

#48 ·
I have not updated this in many months.

According to the vets Kayos should have been long gone by now. But I am happy to report that Kayos is still doing very well. I was "cautiously optimistic" that she would see Christmas. She did indeed. She wore her jingle bells, played with her new toys and even played with my sister in laws 7 month old ACD.

She walked a mile with my hubby and I yesterday, slow, but she was happy to be out with us. I believe she will make her 13th birthday in 2.5 weeks.

#51 ·
Great to hear your girl is hangin in there. Lookin forward to hearing about her birthday party.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.