A change for the better and a question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via MSN to GSDolch
A change for the better and a question.

It's been just over a month now since Bailey has been home and I have notice a difference in her. I have changed her food to 4 health senior and added fish oil and a hip/joint supplement to her diet.

She seems more peppy, well, peppy for a 14yr old. She still sleeps mostly, but her walking has drastically improved, she doesn't seem to have as hard of a time with it. She likes to spend longer walking around outside, I go by her lead and she'll walk to the door when she's ready to come in. She's more alert when she is awake and it looks like one of her ears wants to stand back up. My dad never cleaned her ears so that's been a work in progress. <sigh>

All in all though I'm happy with her improvements, but that leads me into a question.

Bailey is my first senior dog and I've been told that before they are ready to go, they get lively again. Is there any truth to that?

~Johanna~

Baily ~ GSD x ~ (Jan 2001 - Jan 2016)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buddy ~ Schnauzer X Jack Russell ~ 11yrs
Merlin ~ Solid Black Cat DOB 4/5/2015 <Super Stalker Ninja Kitty>
Carrot ~ Solid Black Cat DOB (est) 7/15/2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Crowned Member

I think sometimes yes, but not all the time. In this case the food change and adding the fish oil probably helped. I noticed a difference in mine when I added the turmeric.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:37 PM

It's great that she's doing so well!

And, I have never experienced pep before my other pets died. They seemed to just slowly get less and less able-bodied until it was time to go. It sounds like her health is improving and you'll get some extra time with her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok, thanks. I'll leave it at the healthy changes being the reason for her pep.

I'm probably just being overly paranoid. So many things are falling into place for us, there is a small part of me just waiting for something to happen. I just got her back after living with my dad for a long time (not that I didn't see her or spend time with her a lot) and I'm just not ready for anything to happen with her.

I know, I can't control it, but I'm not ready to deal with loosing her. I've heard of GSDs living to 15/16 years old so that is what I'm hoping for.

~Johanna~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post

I'm probably just being overly paranoid. So many things are falling into place for us, there is a small part of me just waiting for something to happen. I just got her back after living with my dad for a long time (not that I didn't see her or spend time with her a lot) and I'm just not ready for anything to happen with her.

I know, I can't control it, but I'm not ready to deal with loosing her. I've heard of GSDs living to 15/16 years old so that is what I'm hoping for.
Just enjoy her. Here is hoping for a few more years

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Just enjoy her. Here is hoping for a few more years
I am I'm just a worry wort. She's currently holding my feet hostage as her pillow.

~Johanna~

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Knighted Member

She sounds like a great dog. Just enjoy her. She will let you know when she's ready.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta View Post
She sounds like a great dog. Just enjoy her. She will let you know when she's ready.
She's truly my heart dog. We've been through heck and back and then some. Got her when she was 6 months old. She's been with me through having four kids, divorce, getting remarried, all the moves we made. She even went with us to St. Croix USVI when we moved down there for two years. I moved back, brought my kids and Bailey and left my ex down there.

We had to move into an apt. with weight restrictions so my dad took her in and she's been there the past few years. It wasn't ideal, but we still spent a lot of time with her and took her with us when we went and did things at the park. Stuff like that.

~Johanna~

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDolch View Post

I understand what you mean.

My grandparents had a shepherd mix that lived to 16; it happens!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:34 AM
Crowned Member

i hope this finds Baily continuing to feel good!!!

You're so fortunate ... I've NEVER had a GSD live past 13. I hope Baily will continue feeling good and not only meet your goal of living to 16 years but to surpass it!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page