12 year old German shepherd, red eyes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

12 year old German shepherd, red eyes

I have a 12-13 year old german shepherd and tonight when I let her in she couldn't see and almost fell into our pool.. Her eyes are blood red .. Like the brown area has turned red .. She's been having a touch couple weeks .. Would eat and then not eat..difficulty walking. Up stairs or falling by missing the last few steps But this morning she was fine and could see and now she's completely blind I think.. She has her eyes wide open but can't see me.. She hears me calling her name and wags her tail but doesn't know where I am I'm kind of scarred to lose her , she is my childhood dog but idk what to do.. I've read about Oannis .. And other. Diseases causing it .. I think she may have rumors in her stomach also.. Idk if I should get all this treated or it's time to put her down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Read about pannus*
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Elite Member

I have no experience with this. Sorry for your struggles right now, I pray she'll be ok.

Hail Gunther 7-2-2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.

"Some people never end up going crazy...what a truly terrible life they must lead." - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:32 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear. I think it's best to get an assessment with vet. And you and vet can decide together what is best way forward. All the best.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Crowned Member

Definite vet visit, today, and if needed, referral to eye vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Master Member

I am not a vet but IMHO blindness in an of itself is not a reason to put a dog down.

I had a flat coat retriever that suddenly went blind due to macular degeneration. She adapted very well to blindness. We couldn't move any furniture or she would crash into it and we took her on the exact same walk each day. But after a couple of weeks of looking "lost" and upset she settled right in to her new routine and seemed happy.

Best of luck with your dog and let us know what the vet says.

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

Vet. ASAP.

From what I know, pannus is not going to cause overnight blindness.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry this happened to your dog. You must be devastated.

Is this what happened? Could it be high blood pressure?

The Red Eye - Iris Hemorrhage
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Knighted Member

Pannus is more common in GSDs, but my old dog has keratoconjunctivitis sicca.....chronic dry eye (small dog-age 15). When it first started, his eyes were very red and you could tell they looked dry...it's very painful as well and can lead to blindness. In fact, he was blind until I got it under control. I put prescription ointment in his eyes twice a day and have been for 8 or 9 months now. It's going well. Occasionally, I will add twice daily antibiotic ointment if an eye becomes symptomatic again and doesn't go away after the next dose of Optimmune.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

I was also going to mention dry eye which is easily managed with medication. Yukon was diagnosed with dry eye and once we got the proper medication it was easily managed for the remainder of his life.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page