Just a couple questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Just a couple questions

Bud is just about 13 and I am having a bit of a time keeping him clean. He seems to be leaking on himself. I have a pee pad in his crate to soak up any dribbles, but I noticed a bit of a rash on his belly yesterday.
Any tips on keeping him, and his crate, clean?
I am guessing this will continue to get worse, right?
I have never had a senior male, not many males in my home at all, so I am not completely clear what to expect. Bud is not a house dog. He stays outside and in the porch, except for supervised visits. He marks on everything, always did. Lost his house privileges years ago. I don't want diapers on him.
Also I noticed that when he sits down to scratch now his penis falls out. The vet says its because he isn't neutered? Can anyone explain that? Is it hurting him?
Let me be really clear, he isn't mine he just lives with me. My husband will be taking him to Ontario later this spring. I am not likely to pursue any invasive medical procedures on a 13 year old dog, I just want to keep him comfortable and happy. He is maintaining good body condition and seems in good spirits. His only issue is his teeth, which are terrible. Not much I can do with them at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

I am not sure I can help but my Traveler has an enlarged prostate-non cancerous and doesn't seem to bother him at all. I found this out because I took him to the vet due to some minor dribbling after he finished peeing. To accurately describe the problem I'd say that he would pee and his shutoff valve worked fine but after about 10 steps he apparently relaxed the valve and would dribble some. No leaks during sleep or any other time, just after he peed.

The vet put him on Palmettoplex. It is herbal product I believe manufactured by Standard Process so it's only available thru vets. It's not that expensive and after 3 weeks of taking a pill twice a day, he no longer has the drip problem.

Enlarged prostate may not be your guy's problem but if it could be, you can also get OTC saw palmetto pills. I can't speak for how well the OTC palmetto works but you might consider a trial run.

Lynn & Traveler
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM
Elite Member

Oh, I should add- Traveler's penis is out more than it's in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the info. I will talk to the vet about it and see what she says. I love my old guy, he's my prince and I can't imagine it's comfortable having pee on your belly.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

I would imagine you could treat his belly with diaper rash cream or similar? The problem I see with that option is that he may just lick it off. I don't know.

Aren't the pee pads designed to wick away moisture? Maybe another brand would do a better job of that. Maybe there is a better alternative than pee pads since he is living outside. Maybe straw or something?

Wish I could be more helpful.

Lynn & Traveler
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom View Post
I would imagine you could treat his belly with diaper rash cream or similar? The problem I see with that option is that he may just lick it off. I don't know.

Aren't the pee pads designed to wick away moisture? Maybe another brand would do a better job of that. Maybe there is a better alternative than pee pads since he is living outside. Maybe straw or something?

Wish I could be more helpful.

Lynn & Traveler
You've been a great help! Thank you.
I'm just not so familiar with senior boy problems
To clarify, he doesn't live outside. He sleeps at night in his crate and spends his days in the yard or the porch, I tried for years to keep him in the house but he was really tough to house train. I still don't know that he ever really got it, I just removed all opportunity, and he still marks in the house if I am not right there staring at him. Plus when I kept him I my room he 'vultured'. I would wake up to find him sitting beside me on the bed staring down at me. It's creepy, sorry. The girls just go to sleep. He sits over me all night just staring, and he marked the corners of my bed. Not a house pet.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Crowned Member

My guess is the vet is correct on the neutering. Have you had his prostrate checked? Is it enlarged?

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't believe his prostate has been checked. I could probably get him in for an exam without much trouble. But he will be 13 this summer, I cannot see the logic in neutering at this point.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

I freely admit I don't know anything about this neutering business but I can't see how that would help with leaking urine unless it is strictly a prostate problem. In that case, neutering seems to be the conventional answer but how cutting the gonads off an older dog guarantees no leaking, well, it's beyond me. Kind of like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Again, I have no idea how all this works but assuming neutering decreases the sexual hormones and that reduces the prostate, how about something much less invasive? I know they have meds for people so I'd go that route. I don't think you will find many human men that would volunteer to have their balls cut off just to reduce their prostate issues.

Lynn & Traveler
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:24 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Human men and dogs ate NOTHING the same. Their are emotional and psychological consideration when dealing with humans.

If the dog has prostatic hyperplasia, then neutering will fix it. The fog is not going to give a fly his testicles are gone. Enlarged prostates can also cause problem with defecation.

However, at 13, not sure I would go that route. He is pushing the common life span for GSDS as it is.

There are belt bands for dogs, to catch the dribble. You should also be cleaning him multiple times a day, with an unscented baby wipe, and yes Desitin can help with the urine scald. But you need to keep on top of it. Urine scald can be very painful and lead to horrid skin infection.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page