Bora is unwell :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Bora is unwell :(

She can't use her hind legs hardly at all today. I put a step in harness around her hips just as you would on the front legs to help her walk today. Gave her a Rimadyl and her daily supplements. She drools more than normal, not quite the appetite she usually has but not terribly alarming, I imagine she's probably hurting and not wanting to eat with such fervor. Going to get her a chair asap when I get my tax return. I just hope this isn't the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry to hear this, poor girl. Hopefully having the chair and some mobility will help her appetite.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry to hear this. On the cart, it is best to get one while they are still "self propelled" as they adapt easier. You might want to look to a dog stroller (they make them GSD size - I considered it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

She's on her feet today, no drool and a normal appetite. I was off work yesterday and doted and pampered her. Laid her on my vibrating/warming back massager thing. She's having trouble on the hard floor but has learned to walk along the rug. I brushed her, gave a deep tissue massage, cleaned up her poos she is very embarrassed about. By last night she would catch and chew her tennis ball again. She still isn't one hundred percent normal for her, but she's bouncing back fast. This girl, she stresses me out. Love my senior puppies.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

This sounds like a dog that would do well with chiropractic and accupuncture. Have you tried that for her?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Knighted Member

Do you have access to hydrotherapy in your area? I wonder if that would help?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Good to hear, hope she continues to improve.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

Sorry to hear of Bora's hardships...

I know I tried light/infrared therapy on my last dog who had DM....I somewhat believe it might have helped with some of the inflammation and other collateral pains she was suffering.

SuperG
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Took the last Rimadyl today. Going to have to get to the vet for a refill and a check up. I am happy to say she's really motoring around today. Better than she has in weeks. I try not to use medications as much as possible but it seems to be helping her so much right now. Between her and my old arthritic Aussie that bottle lasted a good long time. They take the same dose and both have a prescription for it. There really isn't anywhere I can get her to for hydrotherapy right now, It doesn't help that I don't drive. (of all the phobias, I can't drive.) I'm working more hours lately too until they hire some help.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Went to the vet today, Bora very much enjoyed the car rides even though we had to play musical cars. My car is leaking water and overheating and my moms car had a flat. Bora didn't mind until she thought the rides were over and didn't want to get out.

Vet discovered a lump under her neck, could be a swollen lymph node, we were instructed to keep an eye on it for changes. No real news other than that. We know she has arthritis, very little range of motion in her hips. Nerve damage as well by the look of it. She does not appear to be in pain and she doesn't correct her knuckled toes. Spondylosis was the quick verdict. At her age I'm just grateful for every day. There was one good news, she weighs 76 lbs now, down from 95 on her first visit. We are all proud of that. All I did was put her on decent food and help her get around, wasn't any real struggle to lose that weight.

So we're just making her comfortable and loving her day to day. Not much we can improve at this point. Like I said, no real news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page