unknown ear issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

unknown ear issue

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Shasta was tilting her hear and shaking on the one side. I figured maybe she had something in her ear and looked at it closely, nothing visually wrong with either ear. She was fine when I touched the one ear but shook her head whenever I even gently rubbed the other. I cleaned both ears with special cleaner the vet gave me and things seemed to get better. Since then she's been slightly cocking the one ear and shakes her head more than normal but nothing too bad. Then tonight she was going nuts with the shaking and tilting again. Once again I looked, definitely no obvious infection but the ear that has been bothering her was red/irritated looking like she has been scratching it when I'm not looking. Is there some kind of mite or other common ear problem that could be the problem? She has never had an ear problem before but had a really bad case of vestibular disease last May, I hope it is not that happening again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Crowned Member

Poor Shasta I would take her to the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

If it is an ear infection, monistat (yeast infection cream) can quickly ease the irritation and kill the infection... (but this isn't in place of a vet diagnosis )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

I just recalled another thread from a couple of months back. Same symptons - only in one ear. The op was doing home treatment like you are doing, couldn't see anything, but the ear was red and the dog kept scratching it. Then the dog's nails started to fall off. That's when she took her dog to the vet. Turned out to be some type of bacteria infection and got to the nails from the scratching of the ear. The dog was prescribed antibiotics and also a cream.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I got her an apt to go to the vet Monday, wanted to go today but they closed early. I'll keep an eye on it but she HATES having her ears messed with.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

check into antiobitic drops - that might help. Definitely get the ears checked, as an inner ear issue could cause a vestibular episode (not disease).

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

Also, good that you and your vet are versed in the vestibular syndrome. A lot of vets will state stroke and advise to put the dog down, as the 1st week is sometimes no change. Sometimes it is caused by something (such as inner ear infection) and sometimes idiopathic (no known cause). The recovery time could be up to 3-4 weeks....

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

The vestibular episode was horrible, I thought she had a stroke and was done for. The night before we went on a walk and she was prancing and happy. The next morning she had pooped/peed herself, threw up, couldn't move, and her face looked all crooked like she had a stroke. My vet said right away it was very unlikely that it was a stroke and to just take care of her and watch for improvement. She would not eat/drink on her own for two weeks. She started showing very minimal progress and after about a month was almost 100% better, just had a slight head tilt. I really wish more people, especially vets knew about Vestibular episodes in older dogs because I bet a lot of dogs get put to sleep thinking it's a stroke and they won't get better.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

it was just a minor yeast infection in the one ear. She got some ear drops to put in, it had already got a lot better just from cleaning it daily. So glad it's nothing serious.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

To keep the yeast at bay, you could wipe out her ears a few times per week (as a preventive) with 50/50 mix of Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and purified water. Organic ACV contains the "Mother Tincture" (you'll see it floating around in the bottle) which has medicinal properties such as being anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral.

Additionally, you could use the 50/50 mix as a rinse after a bath to combat yeast issues. If yeast is a reoccurring problem, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar can be added full strength to her food.
50-75# = 2 teaspoons per day
75-100# = 1 Tablespoon per day

Feeding a non grain food could also be a consideration.

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page