Need help with the decision - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Need help with the decision

Hercules is home..his appetite picked up a bit.. But he still can't stand up. He looks a lot r aware and comfortable as the anesthesia symptoms are gone.
But he lays only One side. I'm using diapers to try to contain some of the urine.

I know this no problem to live. Do we go through letting him go if he hasnt given up on his own? So tough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Hercules is home..his appetite picked up a bit.. But he still can't stand up. He looks a lot r aware and comfortable as the anesthesia symptoms are gone.
But he lays only One side. I'm using diapers to try to contain some of the urine.

I know this no problem to live. Do we go through letting him go if he hasnt given up on his own? So tough
Dog's don't give up... or at least in a fashion us humans might. We have the option and benefit to not prolong the suffering and hardship our pets experience..if we choose..therefore it is your choice and your choice alone.

Perhaps, you posted earlier as to what Hercules is dealing with..maybe you could tell us again and that would help others in offering their opinions.

Sorry to hear of the difficulty Hercules is going through.

SuperG
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

Please - check the OP's profile to read old posts to get caught up on the situation.

You are obviously very committed to your dog.

If you can prevent pressure sores and keep him clean while you see how he recovers from all of this, and if he is comfortable, and happy (relative to age - I think sometimes people expect puppy level bliss from an adult dog), I would give him the time to see if there is a bounce back. Eating is a big thing.

If he were unable to bounce back, then I would re-evaluate.

If he deteriorated, it would be time to make a decision.

That's just how I personally would evaluate it - with the very first question being, can I get my dog through this episode with really good nursing care. Because if that can't happen, then I am probably hurting my dog, passively.

And it's hard to take care of a geriatric dog going through a rough time. So I am not saying you should have a Hoyer lift and be able to do more than shifts of hospital workers could do - but sometimes the things are doable, and if that fits here, then great.

http://www.pawspice.com/downloads/Qu...fLifeScale.pdf I like this from this website: Resources

You can get good ideas here!
Handicapped Pets - Helping Pets Live a Better, Healthy Life and they have a forum, called a community, there as well.

Also really good info here:
Dodgerslist: canine back problems home page

Vitamin B shots - ask the vet if that's anything that might help. A lot of older people are on them, which is why I mention it.

Good thoughts to you, and your boy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Dog's don't give up... or at least in a fashion us humans might. We have the option and benefit to not prolong the suffering and hardship our pets experience..if we choose..therefore it is your choice and your choice alone.

Perhaps, you posted earlier as to what Hercules is dealing with..maybe you could tell us again and that would help others in offering their opinions.

Sorry to hear of the difficulty Hercules is going through.

SuperG
Gsd can't walk after vet sedating
Mystery bladder issue
Did you creamate or bury?

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

At 12:50 pm reluctantly and with hesitation we called the vet to make arrangements to bring Hercules in to be put to sleep around 6pm.. He was alert, and happy but had lost his hind legs strength and could not stand the past 4 days. After placing the call, my wife mentioned how strong, happy and fine he seemed petting him and holding him we wondered how could we go through with it as he seemed fine. As I brought him a bowl of water we were all around him when all of a sudden about 1pm he just gave up his soul and fell asleep in our arms on his own. This amazed us as it was almost as if he knew how hard it was for us to go through with this and God called him home and he went on his own.

We will never forget the day we brought you home from the airport, being pulled over by a state trooper on the way back. The moment the trooper looked at you he told us to get you home safely and kindly sent us on our way. Or the time you ate our entire thanks giving turkey while it was cooling off and we were out shopping.
We miss you already. Hug your pet today.. Spoil them and remind them how special they are every chance you get.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Crowned Member

Oh my, that is tough but good at the same time. Now you know it really was his time. Heal well so sweet memories can fill your heart.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry for your loss but glad he went peacefully at home. Please take comfort in all of the good memories you shared. Take good care.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I am so sorry for your loss.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Elite Member

My condolences.

Emily
Skadi, AKA Lady Wolfington, GSD 4.6.12
Grim, AKA Bones , GSD 7.7.13
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. May the wonderful memories of Hercules bring you comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page