Mystery bladder issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mystery bladder issue

A all. What a terrible night. Herc was straining to urinate, and we became very concerned. At 1am we took him to the local the local ER.
The vet wanted to get a catheter in him ASAP and wanted to admit him until Monday when they can get an ultrasound in. I opted to have the them get the catheter in and relieve him and bring him home. The vet was almost certain He would feel blockage from a tumor or something obstructive in r bladder mouth.
They sedated him and remove 1liter of urine.. He was really surprised when e inserted the catheter it went in easily with no sign of obstruction. All the urine was clean no blood at all. We were done at 4am. I felt so happy sending that 700 I didn't have just to see him relieve.

This morning we went outside to try to pee. His stream trickled and I tried squeezing lightly his bladder area which helped somewhat.

Now he's just laying down.. Doesn't look good. Monday it's off to his regular Dr. For ultrasound. I guess that's where we determine if And when we decide to say goodbye.
The ER vet didn't sound optimistic. I'm guessing it might be DM?
This so so hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

Could it be his prostate?

Lack of blood doesn't rule out, I would guess.

Prostate Inflammation and Abscessation in Dogs | petMD

Prostate Enlargement in Dogs | petMD

Prostate Enlargement in the Dog

Did they tell you if you could help to express his bladder? Call them up and let them know what is going on ASAP.

Did they do blood work and urinalysis?

Degenerative myelopathy - does he have that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

yes we did full blood work including urinalysis and x-ray from the torso back. They said the next step would be an ultrasound if the antibiotics didn't work.I'm having some crazy hope when they shoved that catheter up there maybe they knocked something loose even if the doctor didn't feel anything or notice any blockage his urination is somewhat flowing since the catheter went in to relieve him last night. I just wanted him to be comfortable until Monday when our vet is open. He hasn't drank or eaten yet this morning I called the vet and they said its normal and might be from the anesthesia. I'd like to get him to take his pills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

He hasn't had his pills? Did they give him any abx while he was there? Pain management? I would call back if you don't think he looks right.

ETA- hope he's okay soon, but do keep calling as needed. Squeaky wheel.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes they gave me Rimadyl, Tramadol, Rilexine- So some anti inflammatory, Antibiotic, and pain med.

Its been bad, this morning he wouldnt get up- So i coax him by saying "lets go for a car ride (his favorite)" He gets up, we go out, he pees pretty nicely (hoping the catheter opened up his urinary tract) We go for a car ride. (couldnt give him meds all morning, even in hotdogs and cheese- his favs)

We get home around 1230.. he refuses to get out of the car. I mean REFUSES. So my wife and daughter get in the car with him, seemed like we were going to lose him a few times- Get home, still wont get out of car.
Tried to give him water, nothing.
Wife brought out turkey, with his meds in it. He finally ate that (had refused hot dog, cheese with meds prior to this).

Im going to have to forcefully pull him out before it gets dark, and get him in the house.

I was thinking maybe he is ready to let go, and he just wants to be in his favorite place?

Or perhaps the pain from the process was so bad earlier, before he finally took his meds that he was completely out of it?

Ok im going back out to camp in the car with him and comfort him. This has been horrible. He looks comfortable though, the procedure last night really alleviated him. What concerns me he didnt DRINK AT ALL today. Shed lots of tears today.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Great news, we got him out of the car- he passed some urine, perhaps the meds kicked in because he had somewhat of a stream which looked like it relieved him enough, and now hes cozy in the house. This is so hard.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:18 PM

try some catfood/babyfood/canned tunafish, that may prompt him to eat a little..Here's hoping he improves! Your right maybe the procedure left him in some pain/somewhat out of it..please keep us updated

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
Great news, we got him out of the car- he passed some urine, perhaps the meds kicked in because he had somewhat of a stream which looked like it relieved him enough, and now hes cozy in the house. This is so hard.
Glad to hear. Hope Herc, you and the family have a good night.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Aw poor boy. I am so sorry you are going through this.

As I am sure you are, please carefully monitor his water intake and output. Urine retention can be life threatening. Did they show you how to feel for his bladder?

Maybe I missed it, but did they check his prostrate? That's the most common cause for issues.

Again, stay strong, thinking of your boy and family tonight. It's so tough to see a beloved family member struggle.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

I'd be concerned about renal issues. Lack of appetite is sometimes a side effect of too much phosphorus building up, makes the dog lose the appetite.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page