Heidi bad day today - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Heidi bad day today

This morning Heidi was having a really bad time moving. I carried her bed all over the house wherever I was because she wanted to lay by me. The vet recently upped her dosage of Rimadyl, but she seems to be in a lot of pain today. Am trying not to panic. She has and will have good days and bad days. A bad day is not so dire. The vet said if the larger dosage of Rimadyl doesn't help he will put her on something else too, mentioned Tramadol. I was on Tramadol once myself and had a terrible time with it, so am reluctant about it. Does anyone have any suggestions of pain meds better than Rimadyl or compatible with it? And what of your experiences with your dogs on Tramadol? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Master Member

I am sorry to hear about Heidi.

My old girl Maddie took Rimadyl and Tramadol. We slowly ramped up the Rimadyl dosage over a period of 11 years (she started at 5 yrs old and almost made her 16th birthday) as she needed it. The last year or year and a half we added Tramadol--again ramping up the dosage to something like 4 pills a day (2 with breakfast and 2 with dinner).

She did very well with both meds. The Tramadol made her sleepy. We monitored her liver function every 6 months and she was tolerating the Rimadyl very well. We also tried some Adequan injections the last few months--the first couple of rounds seemed to help her but the later ones did not. But I think at that point she had other issues cropping up.

I hope Heidi has some better days ahead.

Take care,

Michael

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you. Heidi is 13 and I just don't want her to be in pain. She has done well on the Rimadyl so far. If the vet suggests it, we will add the Tramadol also. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

Two of mine used tramadol with no problems, but both were short term use, 2 weeks.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:51 AM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry that Heidi isn't feeling well. I have an almost 15 year old small dog and I understand the worry you must be feeling. With the medications, as long as she doesn't really display negative reactions/side effects, I would do whatever it took to make her comfortable. Really, that's the most important thing at her stage in life.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Crowned Member

Rimadyl/Carprofen and tramadol have seemed to work better in combination together than either med alone, at least for some dogs I've known. You can also ask the vet about the possibility of considering a third drug, Gabapentin, added into the mix. I had one that was on all three at the end of his life, once he was diagnosed with bone cancer.

Your vet should be able to talk to you about other options besides Rimadyl too. Metacam, Deramaxx and Previcox are other possibilities too (more expensive). The hard thing is the switch is not easy because you have to wash the Rimadyl out of the system for a while (not giving any) before you can start a different NSAID, and that may not be a good option for some dogs. All this can be part of the conversation with the vet.

Is Heidi getting any treatment besides pain meds? (Cold laser? Acupuncture? Hydrotherapy? Supplements? Adequan?) If not, looking into another treatment modality might be worthwhile to help with the pain. It's not "either/or" -- these are all options you can think about to support pain management.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you for all of these ideas. I have not tried alternate therapies for Heidi, mostly because she was always so nervous and temperamental that I was afraid her stress would just make everything worse. Now her mobility is decreasing, so the amount of going to the vet matters. I will consider all of these though and speak with my vet. Thanks.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

Lucky is on Previcoxx has been for about 5 month. He sems better but still has some bad days. we are looking at Adequean injections next.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Elite Member

Our previous non-GSD seniors both took rimadyl and tramadol in their senior years. As the need for higher doses of tramadol came we noticed more sleepiness and unsteadiness. We spoke with our vet and worked out a better dosing plan. We found that rather than giving say 50mg of tramadol 3 times a day (every 8 hrs.), giving 25mg every 4 hours worked better. Sometimes it's better to give lower doses more often to ease side effects like severe drowsiness or being wobbly on their feet.

For us this worked well. Seemed they tolerated the lower but constant blood level of the pain killer better than the highs and lows of the "normal" schedule.

Talk to your vet. They will work with you and your concerns. Hope Heidi has more better days then bad.

Ziva 03.07.2013
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 PM

My last gsd was on tramadol for over 2 years and did very well on it. Rimadyl caused her a lot of stomach problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page