"Bed Sores" on elbows? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"Bed Sores" on elbows?

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for what to do about some patches that are appearing on Rocky's elbows. The fur is missing and they look irritated. Not bleeding yet but I don't want it to get to that point. I believe it's from laying on the floor, which is wood. He has a huge orthopedic dog bed that he will not sleep on. (Waste of over a hundred bucks.) He either lays on the couch or on the floor. I've tried putting down towels and blankets and he won't lay on them either. I wonder if maybe he's losing sensitivity?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

elbow callouses? Silver Shield seemed to help Jax's. You have to put it on regularly though

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

They're not callouses, they're definitely red and irritated. I will check out the Silver Shield, thanks.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Crowned Member

Then definitely use the Silver Shield Gel from Nature's Sunshine. It was instant relief for Jax when hers were red and inflamed and it dries quickly. I just put a cone on her for a few minutes after I apply it.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 PM
Elite Member

I am following this thread.

My dog typically moves between his extra-large “orthopedic” bed and the hardwood floor throughout the night.

Sometimes, our cat stakes out a central position on his bed and he is too “polite” to insist that the cat move so he can fit on it too… lol. Other times, the cat and dog are both on the bed.

But, even when the cat is not a factor, I have noticed that Riley tends to rotate between the bed and the floor throughout the night - I think it has a lot to do with the bed being “hotter” and the floor “cooler, ” so, he switches it up.

Riley does have a small callous on one of his elbows.... I haven’t really been worried about it, but interested in hearing more about what folks apply to avoid those callouses/raw spots.

Jax: I will be looking into the product you recommended
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Crowned Member

Funny you should mention the bed versus the floor. Fritz literally HUGS the toilet all night, its much cooler! I too have beds, in the bedroom, the den, he prefers the toilet and ceramic floor.

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 05:59 AM
Crowned Member

That is staph.. We had too, until I started feeding supplements for skin health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Seriously if I put more pills in his food he'll have more pills than food.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debanneball View Post
Funny you should mention the bed versus the floor. Fritz literally HUGS the toilet all night, its much cooler! I too have beds, in the bedroom, the den, he prefers the toilet and ceramic floor.
Hondo will sleep in our marble shower, or hugging the toilet.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Seriously if I put more pills in his food he'll have more pills than food.
What pills are you putting in his food?

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page