What can I do to help Lucky - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What can I do to help Lucky

Over the past year Lucky eyes have become much more cloudy. Our vet states he has cataracts in both eyes. he also is displaying an increased weakness in his back legs. We've known that he has bad hips and a lot of arthritis. He is on Previcox. Im writing this thread b/c we now have a two story house w/ a step down from our downstairs main floor to the outside. we are looking at building a ramp for the dogs and I have purchased a sling to help him get up and down our main steps. All our bedrooms are upstairs and he has always slept in our bedroom. I always go to bed first and my husband is more of snooze on the couch. Lucky always followed me to bed and left for awhile after I went to sleep. Now he will stand at the bottom of the steps and cry. I always turn on both the foyer and upstairs hall light on but some times he needs physical assistance to get up and down the steps ,other days he makes it up and down multiple times w/ out assistance.
The reason for my thread I'm trying to figure out whether its the weakness in his back legs or the poor eyesight from the cataracts or the combination of the two. My second question is what can I do to aid him. Our vet or vets tell me they don't want to do anything that requires they have to put him under at his age we will have had him 12 years and he was about a year old when we got him. I am also hoping to hear what others think might be some ideas of how to help Lucky deal w/ his age related problems.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:31 PM

I had have had this problem in the past with a couple of dogs as they got up there in age..With that, the sling is a good idea..Mine all insist on sleeping upstairs in my bedroom, with that, I have a good husband who would either carry them or I put a sling/harness on them and well, lug them upstairs at nite, and baby gate the upstairs off so, they don't roam around, possibly fall down the stairs, or don't try to go down without assistance. In the morning, I would harness/sling them and go down the stairs with them, mine seemed to do better going "down" vs "up".. Baby gates help, when I wasn't around, I would baby gate off the upstairs so they couldn't possibly injure themselves while I wasn't around

It's so hard to watch them age, but there is something special about those old dogs

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

This is one of my fears because my bedroom is also upstairs and the dogs go with me. I would say it's probably a combination of both things. If it was just sight you could just guide him up slowly and the same if it was just his legs. Since he seems to want to go with you I wouldn't stress him out and I would just help him along. You can use just a towel and guide him up. For arthritis my vet recommended fish oil, she said that everything else is hit or miss but fish oil works. Sending positive thought to all of you and a hug for Lucky.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Diane and llombardo. Lucky hates the sling but tolerates it if that's the only way he can get up the stairs. As for the baby gates I'm going to have to do those to block him from the upstairs or block him upstairs.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know what to recommend, but I am sorry to hear Lucky is having problems

"A House Is Not A Home Without A German Shepherd"
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Loneforce thank you. Typing this is kind of hard cause I know my boy is fading but he still has days where he is more mobile and it takes 20 minutes before he's ready to quit playing ball. He doesn't catch the ball like he used too and you can tell he can't see where it lands. I wish we could do cataract surgery . He acts so frightened and his response to noise is pretty intense. He barks at every little thing but I have to keep telling myself he barking cause he cant see and he is alerting and he's not feeling very secure.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

I am so glad Lucky has you to help him "weave" his way through the trials of old age. He may be barking more as he cannot see well, and thus, insecure, but having YOU in his life provides the most precious security.

Best wishes on figuring out a workable set-up for your boy.

Moriah
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Moriah.I want to make this as easy as possible or him. I worry about him falling on the steps if I don't block him either up or downstairs. He goes away from the girls who spend their days on the family room couch or in our sun room. Lucky does not seem to like being w/ them when Im not home but honestly Lucky always was in our bedroom or on the couch in our basement family room in our other house. I could baby gate him upstairs which allows him his space but I worry about fire.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

Senior dogs are so special!!! You just know each other so well after all those years. You can just depend on and read each other so well! It's a hard part of the journey together, but draws you even closer. The adequin shots really helped Clipper and we were using the springtime products as well. My daughter has said the J-flex concentrate has seemed to help their senior. I used the fresh factors, joint health and omega 3-6-9. Cody and Clipper slept in my room and after Moo Moo (Hooch!) came to live with us I just shut the bedroom door ever nite to prevent wandering. If you can assist him up and down stairs,like said you would be safe with door shut. I think the ramp would be a good idea because I know my boys would sometimes trip on the small step up into the kitchen. I also covered all tile with a stress mat material to prevent slips!! I don't have stairs but I imagine over time sleeping and daytime areas would have to be adjusted, and may find his own new "cave" to hang out! They just are such sweet old guys!!! Good thoughts and wishes for you and Lucky!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by readaboutdogs View Post
Senior dogs are so special!!! You just know each other so well after all those years. You can just depend on and read each other so well! It's a hard part of the journey together, but draws you even closer. The adequin shots really helped Clipper and we were using the springtime products as well. My daughter has said the J-flex concentrate has seemed to help their senior. I used the fresh factors, joint health and omega 3-6-9. Cody and Clipper slept in my room and after Moo Moo (Hooch!) came to live with us I just shut the bedroom door ever nite to prevent wandering. If you can assist him up and down stairs,like said you would be safe with door shut. I think the ramp would be a good idea because I know my boys would sometimes trip on the small step up into the kitchen. I also covered all tile with a stress mat material to prevent slips!! I don't have stairs but I imagine over time sleeping and daytime areas would have to be adjusted, and may find his own new "cave" to hang out! They just are such sweet old guys!!! Good thoughts and wishes for you and Lucky!
Thank you I just checked out the Springtime website and I'm going to give our vet a call to make sure nothing I order would be bad w/ what he is all ready on. I liked the customer reviews on their web site. Lucky has always been my shadow and traveling companion and 12 years together has made me incredibly happy and right now scared . He is my boy.

Is there anything I can do to help him w/ the eyesight?

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page