Booties for DM? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Booties for DM?

Looks like it's about time to put some booties on Rocky to protect his back paws from scraping. Does anyone have a particular brand they like? Do you leave them on all the time or just put them on when it's time to go outside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

We used these Ruffwear Grip Trex? Dog Boots he only wore them when we were outside.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks I'll look into those.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

For my last GSD....loved her ever so dearly...I used these...

https://www.dogbooties.com/shop/1000...C2%AE-booties/

They were cheap enough and as her dragging progressed I would fabric glue some thin strips of soft leather to the exterior of the booties and they lasted much longer....kept her rear paws from bleeding even with the dragging.

Take care and as I am certain..you are savoring every day with your Rocky....I wish you strength.

SuperG
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you SuperG. . . . yes I'm savoring every day and taking each day as it comes. Trying not to peer too much into the future. Just loving him every day.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This is starting to make me crazy. I have tried the booties recommended on this thread, plus 3 other kinds. NOTHING stays on his feet. The only ones that did stay on his feet made him stumble and fall a lot more. So far the thing that has worked best has been just VetRapping his feet. So long as I make sure it's not too tight is there anything wrong with just VetRapping them in the morning and unwrapping at night? Poor guy is starting to try to run away when he sees me coming with a new kind of footwear.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

If it works and isn't causing any problems then why not? I'm sorry that he is having problems...

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just didn't know if using VetRap long-term would cause any problems. Although I guess for a dog in late stage DM "long-term" is relative.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Crowned Member

For indoor use you might want to look into toe grips, may help on front paws to help pull himself up (?)

Stop Dog Sliding on Floors, Dog Slipping | Dr. Buzby?s ToeGrips

I knew of a Canadian company that had booties custom made that incorporated neoprene. I think was hard boot w/neo ankle/leg wrap.

I'll try to find

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:01 PM

We used these, you can put a little surgical tape around the top to keep them up better. They now have an indoor/outdoor variety as well, never tried those.

Pawks

"If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one."

Andy Rooney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page