Subtle Signs of Hip Problems - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Subtle Signs of Hip Problems

A few months ago heard popping noises from lifting legs while washing feet. Also noticed more stretching of the whole body when getting up from a lying down position. I think rear legs are going to get wobbly. I noticed unusual sounds on the carpet and toe nail scraping on back concrete patio for the first time.

Tosca is now 8 and doesn't run as much as she used to so I know it is all downhill from here. I know this post is long but wanted you to understand what I am seeing. I told my husband about this and he said conglosomine. If that is right, is there any specific type to give? We have had a dog before who had bad hips but do not remember what she was taking other than that. This was over 15 years ago.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter

Last edited by DHau; 09-22-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Elite Member

I think you mean glcosamine?

It may not be hip dysplasia, per se, but plain old arthritis setting in. Xrays will tell you.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

By 8 - it could be degenerative myelopathy starting (the toe scraping) or, as mentioned, arthritis. The Hips are an easy check at the vet the DM has a blood test which is not 100% accurate but is pretty good.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:08 AM
Elite Member

Oops, meant glucosamine.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Good to see you know what supplement I am talking about. Lol. My husband is the expert with herbal supplements. Tosca has had toe scraping off and on for years while taking long walks, but to do it so early in the morning just made me more aware that she is getting older with more problems to come.

I will be honest with you that I am a bit afraid to have a vet look at her. The last dog we had was taken to a vet and he manipulated a leg which made things worse. I would rather give supplements to help deal with her. If it's arthritis or MD that's part of being a senior. What do you suggest. She does not seem to be in any pain from what I can tell.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Elite Member

Toe dragging can also be a disc problem, which may be treated with anti inflammatories.

I'm afraid only the vet can give you a diagnosis.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
Oops, meant glucosamine.
For my older dog that has some arthritis the vet recommended fish oil over glucosamine. The vet said the glucosamine can be hit or miss. I'm not sure how true this is.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
For my older dog that has some arthritis the vet recommended fish oil over glucosamine. The vet said the glucosamine can be hit or miss. I'm not sure how true this is.
That's interesting. I'm going to try fish oil on my 11 yo who is showing signs of arthritis.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM
Master Member

Glucosamine is not an herbal supplement. For all my clients with "older" dogs I recommend starting on Dasuquin with MSM and several fish oil capsules for a large breed. I don't like calling an 8 year old a "senior" unless it's maybe a Great Dane or mastiff because I think that means to some people, "oh the dog will be dying soon, shouldn't do that teeth cleaning, or that mass removal" etc when dogs are living longer than ever now. I see poorly bred GSDs at 13-14-15 yrs all the time.
Manipulating a leg to find a pain source or problem will NOT make it worse, especially arthritis. I have to get a pain response to, you know, find the source of the problem that people are paying me an exam fee to find. My GSD has clicking sounds from one of her hocks when I manipulate it for whatever reason, it's not painful and not arthritis. It has been that way since she was young, I suspect it's more like us "cracking" our knuckles.
The important thing with arthritis is to be proactive, do not wait until the dog is partially debilitated to decide to do something for it. Clients try to tell me all the time "I do not think my dog is having issues/painful from arthritis" and then in the next sentence say "he/she is just having issues doing stairs" or "he/she is just slowing down"......what do you think is the cause of that????!! All the time I have people come in for exams with dogs who have very little muscle mass left on their back end and can barely stand up and walk and they want me to just magically fix that--news flash, it doesn't work that way! If you want your dog to have the best quality and quantity of life, you need to start early.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Master Member

What do you all think of Deramaxx? My vet prescribed it but I've been too afraid to use it...I have Dasquin too. I personally didn't notice much of a difference. Though my 8 year old mostly struggles indoors on the hardwoods but is a different dog outside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page