ominous feeling, can't shake it - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

ominous feeling, can't shake it

Today is Heidi's 13th birthday and, for no discernible reason I have a terrible feeling. I watched her as I was getting ready for work and she showed no visible change. She wasn't having any worse problem with her hips than usual; she didn't even appear despondent, nothing. But I just can't shake this feeling. It may be because I just finished rereading "Merle's Door," which I had thought was important for me right now, but now I am thinking that it was important that I not read it right now. Or maybe it is the fact that I have never had a dog live to be 13 before and also the dogs I have been attached to (and never as much as Heidi) have always passed suddenly, never the slow decline. I thought about staying home today, but I am already taking Friday and Monday off and it probably wouldn't do for me to ask for today off too, but am thinking about going home "sick." Not sure whether this is one of those feelings that one really should listen to, or if I am simply overdramatizing because of the above. I don't want to go home and proceed to ruin Heidi's birthday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

I hate those feelings I get them sometimes too. I had this horrible, overwhelming feeling of dread one day that something was going to happen to Echo. It didn't, of course, but I know it won't do you much good for anyone to say try and ignore it. I hope Heidi has a very happy and uneventful birthday
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks. It's comforting to just hear "I know how you feel." Sometimes I feel so alone with my dread over me and Heidi's future. Even though I have a lot of people in my life, many dog people, it still often seems like no one understands. My husband is not like me (he doesn't overthink things!) Most of my friends haven't been through this with their dogs yet. And I am trying really hard not to ruin today worrying about tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

Oh Bridget, I so totally hear you. I am a worrier, and an awfulizer too. Don't know what the answer is...how to not let worrying about tomorrow ruin today. My sera-girl will be 12 tomorrow, my boy cash will be 11 in November (on my birthday...best present I ever got). But I also know what 11 and 12 years old means for a shepherd. Every day's a gift. Thinking of you and wishing Heidi a great and safe birthday. Take care.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

I had that feeling Sunday and yesterday w/ Lucky . He's become more clingy and fearful over the past two days. Turned out we have had some big time T-Storms. Lucky just wants everyone together when it storms. I know its hard to shake the worry.You both deserve to really enjoy Heidi's birthday even if its just a quiet celebration of cuddling. Can you get home for lunch ? It might make you feel better and less tense.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks everyone. Yes, I will go home for lunch and check and spend a few minutes with her. Think I will work the rest of the day. Heidi reads my feelings and stress pretty well and today it might do more harm than good for me to be at home.

Has anyone else read "Merle's Door" by the way?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

Bridget I haven't read Merle's Door yet,just couldnt do it in the past 3 years w/ Daisy and her decline and Lucky's getting older as well as the girl's.I probably need to though. I've read some great reviews by folks at Amazon.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:06 PM
Master Member

When my last dog Maddie turned 15 I started to get similar feelings. Most days it was just my general sense of worry and I shrugged it off.

Then one Monday last November I had the same feeling but it was much stronger. I had to go to work that day but my mind kept returning to Maddie. There was nothing I could positively identify or put my finger on but there was a strong sense of dread.

As the Noon hour approached the feeling became even stronger. There was something. I just knew it.

So I listened to myself, cancelled all my appointments and went home. Maddie was fine when I got home and we enjoyed a really nice walk through the park. It was a beautiful day. A bunch of little kids ran over from the playground to say hello and fuss over Maddie. She had a big grin on her face with all the attention.

That was her last walk. I had to PTS a couple of days later.

I don't mean to imply that your dog's end may be near. What I am saying is that sometimes you need to listen to yourself and follow your instincts.

Linus van Pelt Haus Juris CGC. My Sweet Babboo, born March 17, 2014.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

I'm right behind you with my 2 seniors, since I put the spy camera in I feel better I can check on the dogs from work, at least I can when they are not under my deck.
Breathe it helps calm your mind

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on Heidi's 13th birthday!!! Just knowing what is written about the longevity of a shepherds life can make us all stop and feel the dread. Especially of a heart dog. Although my boys are already at the bridge, I often wonder about natures plan in the length of life on the different animals. How smaller dogs may live several more years, or look at the tortoise! I guess there's a rhyme and reason, but doesn't seem fair sometimes. Take these days, hey, maybe years, to show her how much she means to you!!! Hope you both have a pleasant Celebration today and every day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page