10-hr road trip with senior GSD, hip dysplasia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

10-hr road trip with senior GSD, hip dysplasia

Hi,

We rescued a 9-year old GSD earlier this year. I'm debating bringing her with us for a 10-hour road trip to visit my mom. I've looked at road-trip safety advice on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone has tips specifically for traveling with a senior dog.

She's got bad hip dysplasia and I'm worried about keeping her comfortable for the 10-hour ride. I can't imagine it would be easy on her joints, even with a dog bed in the car.

Just interested in ideas, pros and cons of taking a dog with hip dysplasia for 10-hours in the car (each way), vs keeping her in a kennel instead for a week?

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

she will be much happier with you for sure....being in a kennel - on cement is going to be much much harder on her physically than riding in the backseat/cargo area of a car!!! Not to mention mental stress....my dogs would much rather go anywhere, even in a crate in the back of the truck than be left home even....the minute I put shoes and socks on, they are dancing and running to the door...if I say "crate", they put down their heads and sigh, I kid you not! they go into crates in a state of dejection and sadness, I cannot imagine leaving them in a boarding kennel.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lee. She would much better to be with you then fretting her time away in a kennel. Yes, take the dog bed and also plan on breaks so she can work out any stiffness with a walk - that would also tire her out so she naps in the car. You may want to check with your vet on medication for any stiffness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

I've got an 11 year old. He doesn't have HD but he has arthritis in his hind end. He loves car rides and would be much happier with us than in a kennel.

If it were me I'd make a quick to the vet to see if they could give some extra pain meds just to make it easier.

Last edited by shepherdmom; 11-22-2013 at 10:07 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

Not sure if she has trouble jumping in and out of the car, but if she does, maybe a pet ramp could help?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank you!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! I feel a lot more comfortable now. I was worried that jostling her in the car might be awful compared to keeping her on "firm" land in a kennel. But of course I'd rather take her with me, and especially if I feel like it's not going to do any awful awful damage to her joints. Thank you everyone, and happy thanksgiving!

-Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page