Heidi and my big revelation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Heidi and my big revelation

Heidi is 12 and I've noticed for a while that she has been slowing down. It used to be nothing for us to walk four or five miles, not so long ago. I took her out this morning on one of our usual trails, thinking we would do the four miles, slowly and stopping whenever she needed to. Because of hot weather, as well as car trouble, we haven't gotten out a lot this summer. We got about half a mile and she just stopped, didn't want to go any farther. I noticed she was breathing pretty heavy, so we turned around and went back. I think that it's over...Heidi can't hike anymore and she doesn't want to. She still likes to go in the car and she still loves to swim, but our long walks are over. She still seems pleased that I want to take her after all these years. I think she wants to just keep them in our memory now. I also believe, and it may sound stupid, that she is giving me permission to take Corina, my younger lab on these. This is something I have had trouble with, always feeling like the places we've been belong to me and Heidi and taking another dog was disloyal to Heidi. Problem is Heidi and I have been all over the state, so ALL the trails seemed to be ours.

The good news is that Heidi, who was never particularly social, has in old age become something of a social butterfly! So from now on, she is the queen of visits, festivals and company, but will pass the torch of hiking to Corina or Ashley. Sorry for my babbling, but needed to tell someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Good, I'm happy she's becoming more social. But LOL I saw my name in the title and I was like, What!

Heidi

Amarok der schwarze Bär von Walnuss Tal -AKA "Bear"~ Solid Black Male GSD
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

That is a hard transition. Daisy became more I want to snuggle and more of lets go in the car girl. She also liked visiting.. Heidi sounds like she is changing her interests as we all does we get older. Its been really hot where you guys are right? Could that be part of it.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page