Wow!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Wow!!

I am not nor have ever been in this persons shoes nor would I pretend to be but i just cant for the life of me find any excuse what so ever for the decision Jean made. To me there isn't one. So many options that appear to habe gone unexplored. What is it with people!! My dogs are my kids and are treated as such. I cannot even imagine!!! I also realize this happens more times than not and most are not as lucky as Cocoa. So sad!

An open letter to Jean (last name withheld), the person who dumped Cocoa at the pound | A day in the life of lunchy...

Last edited by Crocky; 09-14-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Elite Member

A tissue alert would have helped....

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I should have added that....
Hopefully not to late and I can't edit my first post
TISSUE ALERT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Knighted Member

If I ever meet this Jean person, I have a few choice words for her about abandoning an animal that loved and depended on her. Now I have to go blow my nose and wipe the tears from my face for the dog she was too selfish to care for.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:18 AM
Elite Member

Does it make people feel better if they look down on others who give up there dog?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Nothing about this situation makes me feel better. The thing is, she did not "give up" her dog. she gave up ON her dog by taking to to a high kill shelter. to me there is a big difference. Dogs are creatures with unmatched loyalty, devotion and love and after 12 yrs of total devotion to make a decision such as this to me is like taking your dying mother and just dropping her off a side of a cliff and hoping for the best instead of searching other options. There is always other options, one just needs to be willing to take the time to find them. Some not even involving money. There are many resources out there. So yes when I read this it tears my inner soul.

Last edited by Crocky; 09-14-2013 at 09:27 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Crowned Member

Apologies for the font - I put quotes in and it went all nuts.

You want to like the person who helped that poor dog, but you just can't. Or I can't! Maybe because my name is Jean.

I don't think that the general population knows the difference between a kill, no kill, low kill, shelter, rescue, etc. Just like I don't know the difference between prison, jail, minimum, maximum, etc, but people who work there think everyone does.

That's just the beginning - the whole idea of helping has to be done from a place of compassion, in my mind. You can't help heal a dog unless you can heal your thoughts toward the people who do this, or at the least, let it go.

We don't know if Jean was a cold idiot who wanted a pretty new apartment, or if she may have found herself in a position with little help and few resources. Education can help, but as much as we do, it's not yet widespread. We in the dog world can't imagine the things that people don't know but they don't.

I've got a couple of quotes I really like that help with the compassion.

“The only time you should look down at someone, is when you are helping them up.” Jesse Jackson

“It’s all right to tell a man to lift himself by his own bootstraps, but it is cruel jest to say to a bootless man that he ought to lift himself by his own bootstraps.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

We don't know the whole story. It doesn't help us to carry those kind of feelings. Because we have to remember -
“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

But I am very glad for little Cocoa. What a sweetheart she was and glad her last days were good ones.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

You are right and Well said ^^^
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Knighted Member

I think its horrible that someone who loves a dog so much takes it home to die naturally from a giant mass and fluid filled abdomen!

Nature isnt kind, and I dont think many of you realize how sick these dogs arw when they come in, how much it probably hurts them, and just how horrible they feel. No wonder she didnt make it weeks. She was likely internally bleeding to death.

Judge not lest ye be judged
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Elite Member

Ok I cried like a baby!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page