For the first time ever today, my dog did not get up when I asked her to. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Caitlin
For the first time ever today, my dog did not get up when I asked her to.

Before you even jump to the horrible conclusion, she did, after a minute or two, get up.

I am very confused and scared tonight and need some advice from you guys. Mali has been "slowing down" gradually over the past year but this summer I have seen more and more "old" traits popping up. Some days she's slower than others. Some days she takes a little longer getting up the stairs. Other days she acts like she's still a seven year old.

Tonight I took her out for her last walk before bedtime, she peed, pooped, did all that stuff, then we got to a grassy area and she laid down. I thought, "well that is odd" and tugged slightly on her leash and she just looked at me and did not get up. I tried again and again to coax her into getting up and she just wasn't having it. I freaked out and called my fiance on my cell phone to come and help me but by the time he got out the door (maybe a minute later), she was up and walking back to the house.

Did she just get really tired, more so than I've ever seen, and need a rest? Or should I take her to the emergency vet?

Her gums are normal, her pee is normal, her poops are nice, solid, and normal size. She's not breathing hard, she's drinking her normal amount of water, her appetite isn't ravenous but it's there (normal) and she did not wince or whine when I felt around for any signs of discomfort once we got inside.

Right now she's sleeping but prior to that was walking normal, licking our cats here and there, and seemed normal (just tired). Today was hot, compared to the last few weeks (we've been lucky and had relatively mild weather recently) and there were a lot of people in and out of the house tonight so the apartment wasn't as air conditioned as it normally is.

I don't want to over react and take her on a stressful trip to the emergency vet because she simply needed a break (in a way I'm just not used to) but I also don't want to under react.

Artax - Akita Rescue - 1/1/13
Kokoro - Kitty Rescue - 2/3/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mali - Long Coat GSD - 10/14/03 - 10/28/13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Elite Member

If she's doing well right now I would not rush to the ER vet. It may just have been that the grass was nice and cool. Keep an eye on her and maybe see your vet next week about your concerns.

I know how stressful these age changes can be but it sounds like you are keeping an eye on all the right things.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Banned

she could have been tired, hot, walked to far, thristy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:34 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I wouldn't panic yet. She may have been feeling a bit under the weather. See how she in a day or two.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

Sounds more like the day ,its temp and humidity . just watch her energy leveland see. how od is your girl? Miy girls who are twn are not loving the high humidity and stay as close to their ac and cool tile.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Knighted Member

Sounds like you are on your toes about watching for other symptoms but it possibly is the high humidity and hot weather. My girl doesn't play any where near as long in the hot weather and she is only 5. Maybe the cool grass just looked like a nice cool place to stop and rest. I'd just watch and see if she has any other symptoms, like pain or tenderness, etc. Try not to worry.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
I am very confused and scared tonight and need some advice from you guys. Mali has been "slowing down" gradually over the past year but this summer I have seen more and more "old" traits popping up. Some days she's slower than others. Some days she takes a little longer getting up the stairs. Other days she acts like she's still a seven year old.
Her gums are normal, her pee is normal, her poops are nice, solid, and normal size. She's not breathing hard, she's drinking her normal amount of water, her appetite isn't ravenous but it's there (normal) and she did not wince or whine when I felt around for any signs of discomfort once we got inside.
So sorry this happened to you & Mali, but glad she got up on her own and that you're keeping an eye on her gums, breathing, etc. I would NOT panic and go to the ER unless she appears to get worse.

HOWEVER ... Tuesday morning I would make an appointment with her vet for a check-up and perhaps get some meds to control arthritis or pain (depending on what the vet finds).

GOOD LUCK!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Crowned Member

Looks like Mali is going to be 10 soon, so like many of us, wear and tear on our bodies slows us down a bit, add in the heat and rest on cool grass sounds like a good idea. I would make an apt with your regular vet and address your concerns. Tuke is 3 and in the heat she will only fetch maybe 3 times before taking a break. She also will only follow the shade line when bringing the ball back, heat saps them, me too.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arycrest View Post
So sorry this happened to you & Mali, but glad she got up on her own and that you're keeping an eye on her gums, breathing, etc. I would NOT panic and go to the ER unless she appears to get worse.

HOWEVER ... Tuesday morning I would make an appointment with her vet for a check-up and perhaps get some meds to control arthritis or pain (depending on what the vet finds).

GOOD LUCK!!!
As a pet owner of a couple of senior dogs, I would also recommend the senior bloodwork. It's not that expensive and well worth it for your peace of mind.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 12:43 PM

She's slowing down like we all do as we age. Still take her for walks but not as far. Bring some water with you for her. She's going to have good and bad days as she ages. I would take her to the vet for a senior exam soon just to make sure all is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page