Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) & arthritis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) & arthritis

On the advice of Gatorbytes about a year ago, I started giving a supplement with Natural Eggshell Membrane (NEM) to my old dog. I started with the Fast-Jointcare-Plus brand and eventually shifted to Vitacost's brand. I've been very pleased with how it's helped, and I've very glad to have learned about it on this forum.

I think it's an under-appreciated supplement for seniors. There's a good video about NEM on Mercola's site here (though I don't use their brand of supplement):
Pet Joint Supplements | Healthy Joint Support - Mercola.com

I've recently been pondering whether I could just pull out the membranes from eggs we eat and save the membranes to feed to him. I have been saving eggshells with the membranes still in them in a zippie-bag in the freezer with this in mind, so I've got a bunch of them.

So....does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should just give the membranes to him as is? Would baking/steaming degrade the bioactive ingredients? Any thoughts on how many at a time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

I bake the egg shells to add to Banshee's food. You have to bake htem to dry them out enough to grind. If you do this, you have to take into account the extra calcium you are adding to his food.

So you've seen good results on this? We give Banshee Dasuquin but the arthritis is in her back, not her joints so not sure how much good it's doing her.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Yep, it's one of the supplements I think helped make a difference. We're doing a lot else (incl. adequan), but the vet thinks the supplements are probably at least a third of the benefit we're seeing. Of course it's all anecdotal --all I can say is tings just got better when it was added to the supplement list.

I feed good-quality kibble (Fromm), so I wasn't thinking of using the entire egg shell, thinking it might throw off the calcium/phosphorus ratio in the food. I was just going to pull out the little membrane clinging inside it and toss the rest of the ground shells out in the garden. Do you think there's a benefit to feeding the shell too? I recall reading that you learned from Carmen that they are bioavailable (good) sources of calcium, as opposed to the "rocks" in calcium pills -- which I found very interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

There is a benefit if the dog needs calcium but I don't see one if they are on a balanced diet already. I"m not sure what to much calcium can do to the system as a whole. I use it in Banshee's food due to her CRF since she can't have bone.

How to you extract the membrane from the shell? I've never tried it. We save all our shells, for Boo and to put in with our tomatoes next year.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If you look at the cracked shell, there's a little skin on the inside of it after the egg content is out. I *think* that's the part of the egg they extract the NEM out of.

I noticed that after the empty shells were frozen, that inner membrane actually starts to peel away from the shell on its own--you can pull it out in little pieces. Seeing it peeling from the shell is what got me thinking about this.

It might also be that dunking the empty shells quickly in a hot water bath might help the membrane separate (like a tomato skin) -- haven't tried that technique yet, just hypothesizing here.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

check this out. you can just soak it in vinegar, dissolve the shell and then just feed the membrane.
Science of Eggs: Making Naked Eggs Activity | Exploratorium

wonder if you could then just dry it and grind it up? would it digest better? they must process it somehow to make a capsule.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, wow! That's very cool. Great find! The capsule is definitely a powder. I would bet they pasteurize it or otherwise process to remove pathogens.

I have a dehydrator, but I'm thinking it may not need to be ground up--just toss bits of it in with the meal? Store in a jar in the fridge, or in the freezer?

What do you think about the salmonella risk of raw egg for a senior?

Last edited by Magwart; 07-31-2013 at 07:15 PM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

I think I feed raw eggs all the time and never had a problem. Salmonella is on the shell. So wash the shell if you are concerned. I freeze the shells while saving them and then bake them. Never had an issue feeding to my senior.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Good to know. Thanks!
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe I'm wrong on that
Eggs & Salmonella

But regardless...I've never had an issue.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page