That's what it looks and smells like. But she's also a dirt eater, so that might explain the color... But not the smell.
She started last night about midnight, I think. Jack finally roused me about 2:30 and I stepped out of bed into a puddle of vomit, then another and another. Had no idea which dog it was until I heard Mattie retching. Since she's older, and has vomit and diarrhea occasionally, I wasn't that worried. Put her outside til morning thinking it wasn't that unusual. (She actually prefers to be outside, so I didn't feel guilty.)
But it has continued throughout the day. I have withheld food and rationed water in small amounts, trying to keep her hydrated, but it all came back up a few minutes ago. And now I'm pretty goshdarn worried.
She will walk, and is lying down with her head held up, so I don't think she is on death's door. But I am afraid this is a surgery deal
And I don't think she's in any condition for surgery. She is only ten, but I've only had her for two years, and she came to me in very poor health. We have improved that, but still.
I will drop her off at the hospital in the morning. Hoping for the best. But I'm torn right now. I love my dogs, but if it is what I fear, and she needs surgery, well... I'm sure the vet will advise me. And he's an old country vet, so I think he will be rational and not trying to gouge me... But I don't think she will ever fully recover from surgery. I've already seen her on the decline these past few months. I love her so much! But I'm torn. If they call me and say the X-rays show a blockage or a perforation, and surgery will be 2-3k dollars... I'm afraid I will opt to PTS this dog. I feel crazy inhumane doing that. I pray I won't have to make that decision
At the same time, I have had dogs my entire life, seen aging and decline and emergencies. She is already on the decline. And this smacks of an emergency. I do everything I know to extend my dogs' lives and keep them healthy and fit. I have given her two really good years in rescue. But I've seen the signs. This dog has a year, maybe two left. And with surgery, well, it will be less. I'm not even sure she would come out of anesthesia in her condition. Again, the vet will advise, and I think he will be honest... Not like a city vet might. But idk for certain.
Trying so hard not be heartless, and at the same time be realistic.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App