Mattie is vomiting sewage - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Mattie is vomiting sewage

That's what it looks and smells like. But she's also a dirt eater, so that might explain the color... But not the smell.

She started last night about midnight, I think. Jack finally roused me about 2:30 and I stepped out of bed into a puddle of vomit, then another and another. Had no idea which dog it was until I heard Mattie retching. Since she's older, and has vomit and diarrhea occasionally, I wasn't that worried. Put her outside til morning thinking it wasn't that unusual. (She actually prefers to be outside, so I didn't feel guilty.)

But it has continued throughout the day. I have withheld food and rationed water in small amounts, trying to keep her hydrated, but it all came back up a few minutes ago. And now I'm pretty goshdarn worried.

She will walk, and is lying down with her head held up, so I don't think she is on death's door. But I am afraid this is a surgery deal

And I don't think she's in any condition for surgery. She is only ten, but I've only had her for two years, and she came to me in very poor health. We have improved that, but still.

I will drop her off at the hospital in the morning. Hoping for the best. But I'm torn right now. I love my dogs, but if it is what I fear, and she needs surgery, well... I'm sure the vet will advise me. And he's an old country vet, so I think he will be rational and not trying to gouge me... But I don't think she will ever fully recover from surgery. I've already seen her on the decline these past few months. I love her so much! But I'm torn. If they call me and say the X-rays show a blockage or a perforation, and surgery will be 2-3k dollars... I'm afraid I will opt to PTS this dog. I feel crazy inhumane doing that. I pray I won't have to make that decision

At the same time, I have had dogs my entire life, seen aging and decline and emergencies. She is already on the decline. And this smacks of an emergency. I do everything I know to extend my dogs' lives and keep them healthy and fit. I have given her two really good years in rescue. But I've seen the signs. This dog has a year, maybe two left. And with surgery, well, it will be less. I'm not even sure she would come out of anesthesia in her condition. Again, the vet will advise, and I think he will be honest... Not like a city vet might. But idk for certain.

Trying so hard not be heartless, and at the same time be realistic.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

I might be wrong but if it is a blockage and you continue to wait another 10 hours, you may not have any option other than to euthanize if much of her intestines are dead from lack of blood supply

post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

i just had a similar experience, except my rescue girl seemed to be in very good health, with good life energy, at age 9. she was hospitalized for vomiting on a friday afternoon, alert, wagging her tail...she deteriorated over the next 24 hours, after undergoing imaging studies (abdominal x-ray, abdominal ultrasound), vet clinic called sunday morning and said you better come quickly. by the time i got there they'd brought her into their "comfort" room, i was shocked to see that the dog i'd left alert and wagging her tail barely a day ago, had already started her trip to the bridge...we ordered a bit more sedation, held her in our arms, held her paw, and helped her on her way. i so feel for you. i am way not over it yet and it was three weeks ago. there is no way i would ever put a 9+ year old shepherd thru surgery. i still have a 10 year old and a 11 year old. so i'm gonna get the 'ol one-two-three punch. been lettin' 'em go all my life tho, and have never had one go on their own, have always had to help. you know it when they come in the door. and still you let go of your heart because they are all so incredibly special. and you never get over it, but the next one makes you forget and it starts all over again. stay strong. you'll do the right thing.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

oh yes, i have to agree 100%, please DO NOT WAIT.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

If I lived in the city, and this dog weren't already in senior decline, I would make the drive. The nearest ER vet is still a hour away. And this dog is old for her age. Came to me that way.

That's the part that stinks. And makes me feel inhumane. But she had a hard life. I took her in as a senior, and she has had a good run the past two years in my care. But she's already declining. Only a Very honest vet would tell me the truth, which I already know... She is Not a candidate for surgery. Hopefully, I'm way off base, and it won't be necessary.

Amy and the dogs,

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Crowned Member

Last week Midnite got out of his crate and I found a piece of wood shredded. I didn't know if he ate any, then he started the vomiting. He looked and smelled like poop coming out of his mouth. The first time I thought this dog ate his own poop and is throwing it up and he had watery poop, I wasn't sure what was what. The second time he threw up was minutes after he ate. I was at the emergency vet within 20 minutes. If a dog is violently throwing up, the can throw up fecal matter..just gross. They did xrays and they were good. They gave him a shot for his nausea and he was back to his old self.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 AM

not only could it be a blockage of some sort, but maybe she ate dog poop as well, that might account for the smell? Just a thought, hope she will be better soon..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

She's more alert this morning. Three up twice more overnight, but went outside and urinated this morning. I'm encouraged . We are headed to the vet shortly...

Amy and the dogs,

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Banned

tough position to be in. if surgery is needed and you can afford it
have the surgery done. don't go by "you think she won't survive".
wishing you and your dog the best.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

Best wishes for your girl, hope that she continues to improve. She has had a very good 2 years with you and you need to remember that.

karen, mom to:
ace-gsd (bi-color) 6/14/2010
mandy-yellow lab 1/31/2009
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page